Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A companion to Rift for FPS crazyness. a motion treadmill lol. no crouch function though as far as i can tell. but jump is there.

http://www.virtuix.com/

Was only looking at this, earlier today, when they were showing off Skyrim running on the Rift and this. Looks rather spectacular. Although the footprint looks rather large, not too sure the wife would be too thrilled, although at least i would be getting excercise at last. Would be knackered walking all the way across skyrim. :)

I think we have a very exciting future in Pc gaming coming up.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

after playing black shark this past week. i come to realize oculus rift WILL NOT happen for DCS anytime soon.

i mean i could be wrong, but jeez, i am in the 159th server.. and someone flying the A-10C just lit up a column of land armor, my FPS drop down to 10 fps as i flew my black shark and i must have been 15+ km away...

:(

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

after playing black shark this past week. i come to realize oculus rift WILL NOT happen for DCS anytime soon.

i mean i could be wrong, but jeez, i am in the 159th server.. and someone flying the A-10C just lit up a column of land armor, my FPS drop down to 10 fps as i flew my black shark and i must have been 15+ km away...

:(

What hardware are you running?

Just thought than when you're piloting in real cockpit you refocus constantly, looking sequentially inside (instrument panel) and outside (horizon etc). Virtual pilots don't have to do that, so that would become an additional workload with OVR. And a good training for the eyes )

Just thought than when you're piloting in real cockpit you refocus constantly, looking sequentially inside (instrument panel) and outside (horizon etc). Virtual pilots don't have to do that, so that would become an additional workload with OVR. And a good training for the eyes )

The focal plane of your eyes will be set on the screen, same as a normal monitor. The rift cannot render depth of focus.

The focal plane of your eyes will be set on the screen, same as a normal monitor. The rift cannot render depth of focus.

True, there is only one focal plane on the rift. It is slightly different in that the optics are collimated and you are not focusing on something in front of you, like a close screen, youre eyes are actually focusing a lot farther out.

Ok here is an idea:

Leap Motion (https://www.leapmotion.com/) + Oculus

Leap Motion can see your both hands in 3d in front of the monitor, you can present the hand in 3d in-game, and you can use the virtual hand to flick all the switches the in the pit... no need for keyboard.

(didn't read the thread so if anyone already come up with this sry)

Edit: or just present a virtual keyboard (like the one on a tablet) and you can operate it with the virtual hand

General Nerd :pirate:

Intel I5 4ghz, 16Gb Ram, GTX1070, Saitek X55 HOTAS

Ok here is an idea:

Leap Motion (https://www.leapmotion.com/) + Oculus

Mine should arrive about the same time as my Rift. :P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

TBH, I intend to use Leap Motion to "Scan" High Detail Aircraft model kits :)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Since Leap Motion is being mentioned, here is the latest info about delivery:

I wanted to reach out to update you on the status of our ship date. After a lot of consideration, we’ve decided to push back the date and will now be shipping units to pre-order customers on July 22nd.

This is not a decision we take lightly. There are hundreds of thousands of people in over 150 countries who have pre-ordered Leap Motion controllers, some as long as a year ago. These people are part of our community and there is nothing more important to us than getting them devices as quickly as possible.

We’ve made a lot of progress. When we first started taking orders back in May we were twelve (very tired) people in a basement. Now we are eighty (although still tired and possibly still in a basement). We’ve manufactured over six hundred thousand devices and delivered twelve thousand to amazing developers who are building applications that let people do things that just wouldn’t have been possible before.

These developers have given us great feedback that we’ve used to make huge improvements to the stability and polish of the product. We’re really proud of Leap Motion as both a company and a product.

The reality is we very likely could have hit the original ship date. But it wouldn’t have left time for comprehensive testing. This will come in the form of a beta test that will start in June. We will give the 12k developers who currently have Leap Motion controllers access to the feature complete product including OS interaction (today developers only have access to the SDK). We will also invite some people who are not developers to join the beta test.

Ultimately, the only way we felt 100% confident we could deliver a truly magical product that would do justice to this new form of interaction, was to push the date so we would have more time for a larger, more diverse beta test.

I really appreciate your patience. I know it’s been a long wait. Everyone at Leap Motion is working tirelessly to make sure that the wait is worth it. Thanks so much for your help and support.

David and I will be participating in an open video Q&A using Google Hangout tomorrow at 11:30am Pacific time. To join our hangout, please visit our Google+ page. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact our support team at support@leapmotion.com or my personal email (buckwald@leapmotion.com). As always, we will not charge pre-order customer’s credit cards until the devices have actually shipped.

Thanks again.

Michael Buckwald

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Actually the more I think about it the more I think the rift and leap motion together the more I think it may work with a home pit. As long as the home pit panels are in the correct positions then surely you wouldn't need to swiitch off the rift or remove it so you could see your panels - is this correct?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Actually the more I think about it the more I think the rift and leap motion together the more I think it may work with a home pit. As long as the home pit panels are in the correct positions then surely you wouldn't need to swiitch off the rift or remove it so you could see your panels - is this correct?

Wouldnt it be better if you used the leap with no real panels so it wouldnt matter if you were in a ka50, a10, f18, whatever, you could use your virtual hands to flip any switch in any plane and not have a dedicated cockpit.

Fly whatever you want, whenever and feel like you have a full cockpit for it.

Wouldnt it be better if you used the leap with no real panels so it wouldnt matter if you were in a ka50, a10, f18, whatever, you could use your virtual hands to flip any switch in any plane and not have a dedicated cockpit.

That is exactly what I am wishing for... one day we'll have such devices :smilewink:

No longer active in DCS...

I only fly the hog anyways that's why I made a dedicated pit. I just don't really want to see that going to waste. Although I do admittedly await the F/A-18C. I will try it obviously but I do like the mechanical touch of switches, knobs etc. We'll see anyways. Is there a price set on the Rift and Leap yet?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I will try it obviously but I do like the mechanical touch of switches, knobs etc. We'll see anyways. Is there a price set on the Rift and Leap yet?

Both are available for pre-order but that is not the consumer unit for the Rift.

That is exactly what I am wishing for... one day we'll have such devices :smilewink:

+1 I already have the Leap on pre order and permission to buy the consumer version of the rift when it is released. Don't get me wrong.

I love my Helios setup, although I do wish it would work with all the modules, really miss it when flying the P51 and soon the Huey.

But Leap, teamed up with the Rift would be amazing. Just need a way to get a way to feel it through the hands as well.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

But Leap, teamed up with the Rift would be amazing. Just need a way to get a way to feel it through the hands as well.

Cowboy10uk

Only one stick and hand game I know that would work like that right now. I am sure that genre will be a hit with the rift too..

• Like 1