Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ED concentrates on EDGE now - I guess there is just no time to implement new features right now.

You need to add the support of it, nor the "feature"... and for a basic implementation (rendering + tracking) you need days .. nor weeks or months.

So it's not like you have to abandon what you're doing to dedicate your time into the Oculus Rift, it's more: dedicate some working hours of a single coder into it.

This is not a matter of lack of resources.. this is just about ignoring "the future" (and being late when anyone else is already there...).

You need to add the support of it, nor the "feature"... and for a basic implementation (rendering + tracking) you need days .. nor weeks or months.

So it's not like you have to abandon what you're doing to dedicate your time into the Oculus Rift, it's more: dedicate some working hours of a single coder into it.

This is not a matter of lack of resources.. this is just about ignoring "the future" (and being late when anyone else is already there...).

I'm sure if the Occulus Rift comes out in a consumer version which resolution make HUDs and cockpit gauges readable they will eventually implement the code to support it but let's not put the carriage ahead of the horses just yet, that product is not even released and is still in the process of being designed. As much as I love the OR there's not much point in supporting it in it's devkit version given the low 720p resolution and lack of 6DOF. IMHO.

Edited by Vivoune
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm sure if the Occulus Rift comes out in a consumer version

Doesn't make sense, the devkit has the purpose of let you support the hardware now, so you'll be in time for the retail version (because after the support, you have much time to fine tune it and correct the possible issues). Waiting for the retail version is plain stupid (in fact who's supporting the OR, it's doing it today.. nor the next year).

We already know that the OR consumer version will have a min of 1080p screen and the 6dof tracking, there's no need to wait for it to believe it.

As long as the resolution is high enough to read instruments and see far off enemies, FOV is at least 90 degrees and head tracking is of good quality VR helmet will revolutionize flight simming. Seeing the world in 3d is a major benefit in flying and aiming the guns in addition to the immersion it creates. While a pit with multiple projectors might be better than a VR helmet you will need lots of space and expensive equipment for it that most of us can't afford. And while projectors and GFX cards might become more powerful and cheaper in the furure, so will the tech for VR helmets. I just can't see how multiple projectors can ever be cheaper than a single VR helmet.

I don't mind the people who can see only the negative in new stuff but ED needs to seriously check this tech out as it has huge potential..

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

I'm the only one to use a 5 projector setup in Dcs and worked pretty well, but the cost is pretty high like mentioned above as well as the time it takes to setup. I have a rift as well and honestly enjoy flying Dcs more than the Cube setup. The normal cockpit view makes it hard to read any kind of small text (such as the mfd's), but I assigned snap views to quickly view what I need to see. Outside eye ball flying works really well even at the current low resolution. I'm still convinced that the rift is the most immersive flying experience you can have without actually being in a real aircraft.

I am not sure why people are getting so wound up about ED not supporting this? What evidense is there that they are not already looking at it?

I reckon ED will be looking at it already. The reason they won't be commenting is because we all know what happens when a potential feature is hinted at, and then for whatever reason doesn't work out and is not implemented. All hell breaks loose on this forum with people saying "I only bought this software because you said it would have feature X and it doesn't, boohoo give me my money back".

Best plan for them is to be 100% sure before making any statements I reckon.

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

If the resolution is to low to use in DCS, i'm no to worried. There will be lost of other games where it will be marvelous and immersive.

After all, remember the upcoming model will be MK1. and sell like crazy.

With a sucess like that i'm sure MK2 wont be far off.

I remember Ipad is starting to use retina dispalys, where you can't see the pixels at book range, so im sure there will come far better models within a few years.

Doesn't make sense, the devkit has the purpose of let you support the hardware now, so you'll be in time for the retail version (because after the support, you have much time to fine tune it and correct the possible issues). Waiting for the retail version is plain stupid (in fact who's supporting the OR, it's doing it today.. nor the next year).

We already know that the OR consumer version will have a min of 1080p screen and the 6dof tracking, there's no need to wait for it to believe it.

What is your source about 6DOF for the consumer version? Last time I checked they were merely considering it given the technical difficulties they were facing it wasn't a priority. 1080p, still is too low to properly read a detailed HUD and gauges, not to mention spotting the tiny dots that is the enemy. Have you tried the OR? It's not like a regular screen, 720p is far from achieving the 720p resolution of a single monitor. It is all blurry and doesn't allow you to read anything. I don't know if ED is working on implementing it or not and if your whining is even relevant but whatever ED choose I'm sure it'll be for the best of DCS.

P.S You shouldn't be so inclined to call "stupid" people's actions you either don't understand or agree with

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What is your source about 6DOF for the consumer version?

There's even the pins to connect the sensor on the current PCB. The retail version will deffo have a 6dof positional tracking (you need around $40 to add it, by buying a completely separate device, like the Hydra.. so imagine what would be the price of introducing just the sensor into the OR ... won't make sense otherwise).

1080p, still is too low to properly read a detailed HUD and gauges, not to mention spotting the tiny dots that is the enemy.

1080p will be great, also we don't know for sure if they really go for 1080p or for something more (possible two versions?), btw I never tried the 1080p version, so I can't judge, looking at the opinions around (E3), who tried it, have said that isn't just slightly better.. but a giant step forward, I believe it's pretty than enough to read the HUD.

What I know is that this tech revitalized a certain type of gaming, and any game supporting it is having "free" advertising all around.

We should join the new technology, this company is dying because of the niche market, we should attract more people, nor looking at the window hoping for the best.

The OR implementation requires a very minimal coding effort, and the "advertising" in return is much higher than the time spent on it (regardless of the technical issues), ignoring it woul dbe wrong.

Well I won't speak of Oculus rift cause i didn't try it but imagine no using keyboard or HOTAS o anything just like flight in a real cockpit touching the switch or moving the stick, that would be very cool. The only downside that I see is that you cant feel that you are pushing the buttons. But perhaps a combination of this device (leap motion controller), VR glove(Haptic gloves or a more advanced technology) to sense the buttons and oculus rift and you have a perfect virtual cockpit.

Edited by Shinigami

La guerra, asi como es madrastra de los cobardes, es madre de los valientes.

Cervantes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No need for a several monitors anymore

The Rift would do away with all the monitors some have for a flight sim. It would immerse you into the game. Like others have said we still need a way to see the keyboard to push the buttons. Or some other way perhaps it could be done.

I would gladly pay $300 for one these but I am hoping the price will come down.

Like others have said we still need a way to see the keyboard to push the buttons.

There's the ventilation slots at the bottom, you can see the keyboard trough them.

However with a fully clickable cockpit (another reason to have only A10C level aircrafts) you don't need the keyboard at all, you can literally look at the switch and click it with a command on your hotas.

I fly the P-51D, A-10C, the F-15C and the Su-27. I cannot think of a single control that I need the keyboard for; everything is on my TM Warhog. The only thing I need the mouse for is rolling the canopy shut on the mustang, and the ramp-start on the hog. For me the resolution is the only thing standing between the rift as-is and the ideal world. If the res is good enough to read the text on an MFD, I'll be happy. Having a better res to spot bogies would be good too, but I think I can manage.

I fly the P-51D, A-10C, the F-15C and the Su-27. I cannot think of a single control that I need the keyboard for; everything is on my TM Warhog. The only thing I need the mouse for is rolling the canopy shut on the mustang, and the ramp-start on the hog. For me the resolution is the only thing standing between the rift as-is and the ideal world. If the res is good enough to read the text on an MFD, I'll be happy. Having a better res to spot bogies would be good too, but I think I can manage.

I havent reached this state...Lucky you.

Wouldn t some kind of zoom fit your need ?

Problem with small screen is that, independent of resolution, without a zooming feature, its hard to cram all the info in a legible way with little pixels.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

How do you operate the UFC, CDU and MFD's in the A-10C then? Or do you fly easy mode?

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

How do you operate the UFC, CDU and MFD's in the A-10C then? Or do you fly easy mode?

Good point! I'd forgotten about those. At present I have the MFCDs on my left and right monitors with hawgtouch providing buttons. I'd have to use the mouse to manipulate those and other cockpit controls. UFC, CDU, etcetera. I think I could handle that.

The Rift would do away with all the monitors some have for a flight sim. It would immerse you into the game. Like others have said we still need a way to see the keyboard to push the buttons. Or some other way perhaps it could be done.

DCS simming plus the Rift has huge potential. I will definitely be getting an OR. Re the problem of seeing the keyboard... Maybe an option would be to have the bottom of the goggles made of a smoked translucent plastic? Could be made so that this translucent bit has some sort of cover for times when it is not required to see out the bottom.

Off to the BBQ.

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

DCS simming plus the Rift has huge potential. I will definitely be getting an OR. Re the problem of seeing the keyboard... Maybe an option would be to have the bottom of the goggles made of a smoked translucent plastic? Could be made so that this translucent bit has some sort of cover for times when it is not required to see out the bottom.

Off to the BBQ.

The bottom of the OR has the vent cracks.. you can see the keyboard through em.

Why not do away with said keyboard and mouse and just use the Leap motion.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit