Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

I hope Oculus can sort out the simulator sickness because anything outside of a cock pit makes me feel really sick. I'm getting that I feel sick just thinking about putting the rift on if it's not a cockpit game. I just watched a video someone put up for Metro last light on the rift and boy do I regret it. I only had the rift on for a few minutes to watch it and now I feel really sick. This is driving me nuts because I thought you were supposed to get used to it after a week or so of using it.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^

Well did you use it for a week to allow enough time to get used to it? It took me about a week to get used to the Track IR... surely this would be no different... you need time to get used to it.

I have used it for 3 weeks and I still get sick pretty quickly and I am someone who has never had any form of motion sickness.

This is great news, if ED has support for the rift I'm getting a dev kit. Not waiting anymore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7Ghz | 980ti | 32gb Ram | Windows 10 64 bit | 840 Pro SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog | VKB Gunfighter Pro | Slaw Device RX Viper | Acer Predator X34

Did it give you headaches at all? Just interested as I hate 3d movies etc with a passion but I'm very much looking forward to trying the rift. I don't get motion sickness so I'm not too worried about adapting to that but I am one of those people that cinema 3d gives a cracking migraine too. I was hoping the rift would be a completely different experience.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I don't get motion sickness so I'm not too worried about adapting to that...

You can easily get one with Rift, certain imagery in few demos seems to induce sickness in everybody, I did demoed Rift for dozen of people, and for example Riftcoaster demo affects everyone, some more badly than others.

Just to throw my own experience in the mix, I've tried many Rift demos including Riftcoaster and have never gotten motion sickness.

The worst experience is if the head tracking is suddenly stopped or disconnected from your actual head position (poor game design). The loading screens in HL2 are a good example of this. It throws my brain for a loop but doesn't make me sick. Most people on the Oculus forums report that the more time spent in the Rift the less sickness they feel. They term it getting your VR legs.

Not everyone gets motion sickness from the Rift, a small percentage gets none ever, most get it initially but get used to it and another small percentage get it and it never goes away.

We'll for me it is Half life 2, that makes me feel really sick. The demos have been ok apart from one or two. Roller coaster is fine for me and I put that down to the fact that I am in something rather then walking around. Running about is when it gets me and especially with fast paced games like Half Life 2. I think flight sims are great for the Rift because been in a cockpit doesn't seem to cause the sickness. I have never had headache, but people who do suffer, it's probably because of eye strain been close to a screen. However, you have to remember they have already changed the screen and are doing lots of things that will hopefully reduce all the bad affects. I for one will defiantly be getting the consumer version because it's just like you are there right in the game. Playing horror games is scary stuff and I'm not easily scared. I'm dreading the day in a horror when I look round and something is right in my face behind me lol. Might be I just have bowl trouble from then on.

Edited by Dudester22

I was thinking how well this would go with Rise of Flight where the keyboard is so easily done without and there are no cockpit controls to touch.

First post, gentlemen. Pleased to make your acquaintance. I'm a second wave dev kit owner and have been using it for several weeks.

ROF is awesome on the Rift.:D

Tracks perfectly, the visuals look great as you have come to expect - best of any flight sim, IMHO and hands down the best flight sim I've tried on the Rift.

Yes, resolution is relatively low and the FOV could be bigger, but just before you start to feel a momentary let down you remember that HEY, I can turn my head left, right up down, sideways, whatever. I can track that bogey just by looking at him, but heck it's just such a joy to simply fly around a gawk like a tourist in Manhattan.

Get the Rift. Order from Oculus or get it on eBay if you must. Nevermind the resolution, the lack of game support, the hacks necessary to get something to run. Forget all that because once you have it on you will never again be satisfied looking at a flat screen. I hope ED supports it, but if they don't I'll still buy the consumer Rift the minute it becomes available.

I have seen the future and Oculus Rift is it. Hallelujah! :pilotfly:

I've downloaded the Oculus Rift SDK and tried to create a version of headtracker.dll that works with the Rift sensor.

I don't have the Rift, so I can't test it.

If you'd wish to try, place the attached headtracker.dll in bin\headtracker and launch a mission to see what happens.

Also I attach the source so it can be further polished if it happens to work. For example, there is no drift correction for the yaw angle with the integrated magnetometer of the rift's sensor, which is awful for simulators (front view will drift over time). So, it's mandatory to add it.

Also, a mix of rift's sensor data and freetrack data could be done to add translation and to have an absolute reference for yaw, making drift correction very easy.

EDIT: Finally I have my Rift and could tune it up. It seems to be working fine now.

Tried it with Mi-8 but no joy. Edited the file and put the dll in the folder. Any ideas? This would be awesome if I could get it going.

Are you using nthusim? It seems that it access the Rift and conflicts with the headtracker.dll

Nthusim, yes. I adjusted the zoom and it looks passable, but no head tracking. I was able to set up opentrack to a degree where it recognized the rift doing its thing, but no joy in translating that to movement in DCS. :mad:

Any suggestions would be appreciated, friends.

Nthusim, yes. I adjusted the zoom and it looks passable, but no head tracking. I was able to set up opentrack to a degree where it recognized the rift doing its thing, but no joy in translating that to movement in DCS. :mad:

Any suggestions would be appreciated, friends.

If the nthusim software is accessing the Rift's headtracker it should stop doing that.

An idea came to my mind to promote the use of the Oculus Rift (or any other VR headset that could come in the future) in simulations, but I don't have the means for making it.

I was thinking of a video montage that would end up looking like this:

First, someone makes a flight with some nice aerobatics, recording himself with a front camera, placing a green screen behind him. The flight is also recorded in the computer (but not captured yet!).

Then, the flight is replayed, but instead of using the point of view of the virtual pilot, this time a fixed camera looking backward to the pilot's seat is used, showing the back of the seat, the wings, the tail and part of the scenery (the typical arrangement of real-life in-cockpit recordings).

After replaying and capturing the flight this way, both videos, the real-life camera and the in-cockpit camera are synchronized and mixed. The video of the flight is placed at the green screen of the real-life recording so it looks like it's the background of the fancy Oculus Rift user.

I really think that seeing someone doing natural head movements as he/she flies has the potential to excite the imagination of simmers, specially if it's shown in a format that mimics the videos we all (sick aviation obsessed) have seen a thousand times.

Edited by average_pilot

First post, gentlemen. Pleased to make your acquaintance. I'm a second wave dev kit owner and have been using it for several weeks.

ROF is awesome on the Rift.:D

Tracks perfectly, the visuals look great as you have come to expect - best of any flight sim, IMHO and hands down the best flight sim I've tried on the Rift.

Yes, resolution is relatively low and the FOV could be bigger, but just before you start to feel a momentary let down you remember that HEY, I can turn my head left, right up down, sideways, whatever. I can track that bogey just by looking at him, but heck it's just such a joy to simply fly around a gawk like a tourist in Manhattan.

Get the Rift. Order from Oculus or get it on eBay if you must. Nevermind the resolution, the lack of game support, the hacks necessary to get something to run. Forget all that because once you have it on you will never again be satisfied looking at a flat screen. I hope ED supports it, but if they don't I'll still buy the consumer Rift the minute it becomes available.

I have seen the future and Oculus Rift is it. Hallelujah! :pilotfly:

What did you use to get ROF working on the Rift? I have ROF and would love to try it out on the Rift.

And more importantly how the heck do you find the key you want on the keyboard? :music_whistling:

If you need the keyboard for ROF, you are doing something the hard way.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: