Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• ED Team
Care to elaborate on that? First time I am hearing of this, claims that OR would infringe on TIR copyrights also sound very absurd.

TIR have a long history of anti competitive practices

google naturalpointofview

anyway back on topic

So many of the first version Oculus appearing on ebay now I was considering purchasing one, but with rumours the newer version will be out in the new year I think I will wait

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd advise not purchasing DK1's from Ebay, specifically if all you want it for is DCS.

Just wait for DK2 or Consumer Versions.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Not yet, but Palmer Luckey himself said that on the consumer model, adjustable IPD is a must. And adjusting for near- or farsightedness is already possible in the dev kit via exchangeable lenses.

Yeah, ergonomic part is very important. I read that IPD is critical to motion sickness that some people are getting with OR. Apparently, ORDK is calibrated for IPD of 63-64mm which is your average human IPD. Couple of mm here and there is not critical, but as IPD deviate more from given OR calibration, problem starts. We do come in different sizes and shapes and if they want global and massive reach, highly customizable product is a definitive must.

Keeping a close eye on how things are developing in that department.

I had leap motion from start and in my opinion it is totally unusable for our purpose. a real disappointment for me.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

I had leap motion from start and in my opinion it is totally unusable for our purpose. a real disappointment for me.

That is good to know. I was considering giving it a try with DCS but I think I will pass. Still a similar technology like this could be the next step beyond OR.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Dogs of War Dedicated WWII Server Thread

I don't really see the problem some people are foreseeing with using keyboard and oculus rift- I play with the lights off quite often and also don't need to look at the keyboard for most key combos. I'm sure most people could at least press any of the keys around the edges of their keyboard and would learn where the rest are quickly enough. combined with clickable cockpits which are a lot easier to use with Good headtracking it's not a problem at all.

Edited by Gisen

Heads up to all the DCS Rifters out there. 1.2.7 update adds a new function to the monitor setup LUA. It allows you to shift the view left and right, rather than just rotational.

With this addition it is now possible to fly DCS in the Rift with full 3D. No special drivers required.

Just go to options, set monitor to 'Stereo'. You'll need to manually adjust the IPD in the same monitor setup LUA file. Then use Oculus Overlay or similar program to handle the barrel warp. And OpenTrack for head tracking of course.

I did a quick P-51 flight in 3D and it blew me away. I'm hoping to do a formation flight tonight, get a wing tip right in my face.

I can write up a guide later if anyone is having difficulty with implementation.

Oh and in other news the latest build of OpenTrack, coupled with the Rift 0.18 firmware update has completely fixed the recentering/drift issue for me. If you're still rocking an old copy or haven't updated your Rift firmware, now is a great time.

• Like 1

This has been available for a while. There's several posts about it a few pages back. The IPD and convergance are difficult to get right without a lot of experimentation.

While the frame rate is much better than using tridef, oulus overlay introduces alot of latency to the point I thought the setup was junk.

Perhaps in your write up you'll be able to show how to get oculus overlay working well.

I have faith we'll see an offical update from ED any day now :)

Happy rifting.

This has been available for a while. There's several posts about it a few pages back. The IPD and convergance are difficult to get right without a lot of experimentation.

While the frame rate is much better than using tridef, oulus overlay introduces alot of latency to the point I thought the setup was junk.

Perhaps in your write up you'll be able to show how to get oculus overlay working well.

I have faith we'll see an offical update from ED any day now :)

Happy rifting.

From testing, the MonitorSetup->EyeShift setting only works in 1.2.7 and up. It does not function in 1.2.6, maybe I had something wrong in 1.2.6. I didn't see the posts you referred to.

I use .03 as .04 gives me just a touch of blue flash at the edge, using latest Nthusim. nice and clear the first time I have landed the Huey on a tower block with Oculus Rift on Awesome and scary on take off like stepping off the edge looking down out the side window.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

Oculus needs to realize the Prime Consumers that are gonna buy this are the Flight Sim Enthusiasts, and Racing Sim Enthusiasts.

While they believe people playing First Person Shooters will be their #1 Customers.

I think they are wrong.

Why?:

Oculus Allows you to virtually insert yourself into the environment.

1. First Person Shooters Require Walking/Running

vs Flight/Racing Sims, where you are Sitting Down, and the only movement you need to look around the environment is to move your head, rotation wise or positional wise. you dont need to have keymaps for walking/running.

The motion of walking and not actually standing will make some people sick, just as the tracking in DevKit 1 does to some extent.

Even though Flight/Racing Sims arent a top Tier AAA Genre Like Shooters.

iRacing, DCS, FSX, Prepar3d, rFactor, etc etc Alone is Over a Billion Users.

Most of us have already spent a good deal of $$ on Peripherals for our systems, so another $300 for a 1:1 tracked 6DoF head mounted display is nothing. It would be cheaper than my 3 Screen Eyefinity Expansion cost, and I'd be able to run games with out having to dump another $500+ into a Beefy GPU.

2. Integration, How Many First Person Shooters actually have 6DoF Headtracking? Outside of ArmA/DayZ?, How Many of the top tier titles?.

There will prolly be more users playing Rollercoaster Tycoon w/ Oculus Rift than Shooters.

-Why is Controller to Walk + trackIR to look around not an issue?

Because with Track IR, you're not inserted into the environment, you still have fixed scenery around you and around your screens, when you put a VR Headset on those fixed scenery objects are gone.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

nthusim

Hi guys.

can those of you using the rift, let me know what settings you use?

i learned that the beta version of DCS world has "stereo" support.

yet it looked weird and when zooming in and out there were glitches.,

then i read on this thread about the programm NTHUSIM

still waiting for the activation, but can anyone let me know about their experiences?

what would be the best settings ?

Oculus needs to realize the Prime Consumers that are gonna buy this are the Flight Sim Enthusiasts, and Racing Sim Enthusiasts.

While they believe people playing First Person Shooters will be their #1 Customers.

I think they are wrong.

Why?:

Oculus Allows you to virtually insert yourself into the environment.

1. First Person Shooters Require Walking/Running

vs Flight/Racing Sims, where you are Sitting Down, and the only movement you need to look around the environment is to move your head, rotation wise or positional wise. you dont need to have keymaps for walking/running.

The motion of walking and not actually standing will make some people sick, just as the tracking in DevKit 1 does to some extent.

Even though Flight/Racing Sims arent a top Tier AAA Genre Like Shooters.

iRacing, DCS, FSX, Prepar3d, rFactor, etc etc Alone is Over a Billion Users.

Most of us have already spent a good deal of $$ on Peripherals for our systems, so another $300 for a 1:1 tracked 6DoF head mounted display is nothing. It would be cheaper than my 3 Screen Eyefinity Expansion cost, and I'd be able to run games with out having to dump another $500+ into a Beefy GPU.

2. Integration, How Many First Person Shooters actually have 6DoF Headtracking? Outside of ArmA/DayZ?, How Many of the top tier titles?.

There will prolly be more users playing Rollercoaster Tycoon w/ Oculus Rift than Shooters.

-Why is Controller to Walk + trackIR to look around not an issue?

Because with Track IR, you're not inserted into the environment, you still have fixed scenery around you and around your screens, when you put a VR Headset on those fixed scenery objects are gone.

i realy don't believe that SimFan's will be the prime customers, because there to much normal (shooter, rpg) players out. But if will we get a highprice premium version with extreme high resolution and dpi the sim'ers will be the mainpart of premium customers

i realy don't believe that SimFan's will be the prime customers, because there to much normal (shooter, rpg) players out. But if will we get a highprice premium version with extreme high resolution and dpi the sim'ers will be the mainpart of premium customers

Don't give them ideas, this sim'er is going to find it hard enough to spend $300, lol.

I guess if they're only going to do a "low" res version anyway, then there's no harm in asking them to also do a high res premium version but I'd rather they just made a single high-res model and sold it to everyone (including me) for $300 :)

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

One of our members misoswan, recommends this setting for oculus.

Can somebody post their Nthusim settings to go along with this lua file?

The separation is all wrong for me. I had DCS working well in 2d but don't know where to start when introducing stereo lua script. What numbers do I adjust in the lua file to change the separation?

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Don't give them ideas, this sim'er is going to find it hard enough to spend $300, lol.

$300 is chump change when I look at the total amount I've put into my rig for "Sim" purposes...

$800 for Fanatec Steering System, $400 for CH Controllers, some new some used + a spare set. $500 for 2 extra Monitors for Eyefinity. Future Purchase of R9-290X

if I switch to Oculus for DCS/iRacing, I wont have to run 3 screens wide, which means I Wont have to upgrade to a R9-290X anytime soon, as I Can Run DCS very well at 1080p/1200p with what I have now.

Running 3 screens limits details and FPS to 30 FPS in DCS. *well about 45, but for VSYNC purposes, 30. It's very playable the way I have it now, but why would I ignore a opportunity to go 1:1 tracking with a HMD.

$300.... is insignificant when I look at my plans to buy:

$600 R9-90X

$215 2x eVGA DP++ HUB +

$600 3x more ASUS Screens

$75 6x DP->DVI Cables

Edited by SkateZilla

$300 is chump change when I look at the total amount I've put into my rig for "Sim" purposes...

I don't even bother with the math anymore, I'll spend it sooner of later anyway. :P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: