Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help thinking that I'll miss being able to have a second monitor running Helios when using the Rift. Sure it will be great and immersive but it still takes time to look around and focus on the various controls and having the important ones all on one screen is great and if I have the second monitor under my main one, makes it feel a bit more like I have a real cockpit/dash in front of me.

I guess this could be fixed by having a command that switches the Rift display instantly from in-cockpit to Helios (or whatever else you might normally have on a second monitor). I imagine this would be fairly simple, just having a video buffer that stores the Helios display and then overlays that on top of the DCS World output when toggled but it might be more tricky than it sounds ;)

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Shouldn't matter as long as they adhere to the Rift SDK with calibration via the Oculus Config Util.

This.

I'm betting once the ED devs get a chance to mess around with the Rift basic support will be right around the corner.

SBS is implemented and can be streamlined after basic support, so its applying the oversized render area plus barrel warp. Then pulling the Oculus SDK header files to grab the sensor fusion data directly. The polish of mouse cursor, 3D menus, etc. can be added over time.

Also with the current firmware/sdk, Rift detection is possible, so DCS menus, mission editor, etc. can remain on our main HD screens, with a selection menu after the Fly button is pressed but before the 3D world is loaded- 'HMD Detected, would you like to use the Oculus Rift'. See iRacing for the same implementation.

But for DCS to really do VR they'll need to up their frame rates and render efficiencies considerably. That will come later; for now we'll have to settle for tight head tracking but detrimental moving-image quality (in VR its a moving image most of the time).

I can't help thinking that I'll miss being able to have a second monitor running Helios when using the Rift. Sure it will be great and immersive but it still takes time to look around and focus on the various controls and having the important ones all on one screen is great and if I have the second monitor under my main one, makes it feel a bit more like I have a real cockpit/dash in front of me.

I guess this could be fixed by having a command that switches the Rift display instantly from in-cockpit to Helios (or whatever else you might normally have on a second monitor). I imagine this would be fairly simple, just having a video buffer that stores the Helios display and then overlays that on top of the DCS World output when toggled but it might be more tricky than it sounds ;)

I'd like for it it to be as much like the real deal as possible,I want my cockpit environment to be the same as a real A-10 pilot sees it so I wont miss a second monitor . I'm hoping they come up with some way to put markers on HOTAS so you dont fumble around for them,that would be awesome,I know I'm getting ahead of myself:D

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

The official answer to complains on DCS performance is that it's very demanding on the CPU because of the physics and AI simulation.

I really have a feeling the DX9 engine and other inefficiencies are bigger hold ups than the physics and AI. You can have random FPS drops just by looking in a specific direction where something may or may not be going on, but happening too far away for it to be getting rendered. Its also not like there is complex real-time physics modelling taking place either with biggest performance hits coming from being close to many static objects. In a multiplayer scenario the AI elements should be getting processed server-side, leaving the client to receive and render changes, while handling only its own "physics" and transmitting changes. The Low FPS will be huge hindrance to properly enjoying stereo 3D, brought about from GPU under-utilization which could be improved with multi-threaded rendering that DX11 offers. Aside from that DCS works in 3D now except for the fact the HUD gets rendered improperly.

A welcome the move to DX11 before anything, that way I can use the DX11 Features of the AMD Drivers (Frame Pacing for Eyefinity etc etc etc)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but in answer to the question of how to activate switches within the cockpit whilst wearing a VR headset, I'm personally waiting for CASTAR to come out -

http://technicalillusions.com/

My plan is to build a hogpit surrounded by a dome made of a reflective screen. With working MFCD, CDU etc but for the outside world the headset will give me 3D viewing - no need to simulate my body as my real body will right there in front of me.

Plans for a full 6dof motion platform and tactile feedback system (multiple bass shakers) are also in the dream.

Just need to find the finances now and a lass willing to let me blow it all on a hogpit! :music_whistling::thumbup:

Cheers,

Smirkza

I'd like for it it to be as much like the real deal as possible,I want my cockpit environment to be the same as a real A-10 pilot sees it so I wont miss a second monitor . I'm hoping they come up with some way to put markers on HOTAS so you dont fumble around for them,that would be awesome,I know I'm getting ahead of myself:D

Sure, some people won't want it but I don't suppose anyone who wants things as real as possible would have been using a second monitor with Helios on it anyway.

I guess that if I had all the actual physical controls to use, then just seeing the cockpit in the Rift would be OK as I could have one hand flipping switches on my left, the other on the right and still look ahead but without real controls it means I have to be looking all over the place to focus on the controls and get the mouse over them to switch them, which is far more awkward than a real cockpit would be, so I see Helios as removing some of that unrealistic complexity to let me concentrate on flying.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

http://technicalillusions.com/

My plan is to build a hogpit surrounded by a dome made of a reflective screen. With working MFCD, CDU etc but for the outside world the headset will give me 3D viewing - no need to simulate my body as my real body will right there in front of me.

Plans for a full 6dof motion platform and tactile feedback system (multiple bass shakers) are also in the dream.

Just need to find the finances now and a lass willing to let me blow it all on a hogpit! :music_whistling::thumbup:

That would be an awesome setup for sure. I hope this technologies will coexist.

If castAR reach the level of sophistication of the current Rift prototypes it could very well be a great alternative to the HMD paradigm.

• ED Team

Exciting stuff ! DCS WWII just posted a update

b7adc19809926cccaa03bc2413f0bceb_large.jpg?1391778267

Now, another really exciting thing we’re doing this week is playing with Oculus Rift. It’s pretty good, although the implementation is pretty basic at the moment. No 6DOF yet, and the world outside is a bit warpy and it looks like you’re inside an egg, but the immersion of being inside the cockpit is just superb. It is such an incredible breakthrough, the feeling is so life-like, that words simply cannot describe it. Once I put it on, I don't want to take it off. Could spend hours just flying over the landscape and watching things move around.

Also, it’s really fun to bug people wearing a full face mask while playing a game. As you can see everything they’re doing on the screen, we love to add extra immersion by kicking and poking the player at the right moment. Also, it’s extremely annoying and maddening when those louts at the office break my immersion by kicking and poking me while I’m trying to enjoy an awesome gadget.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944/posts

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Progress...

If it means what I think :

You lucky lucky lucky !

;)

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• Combined Arms/Supercarrier/Nevada TTR/Persian Gulf/Normandy
  • F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)
  • WWII : Spitfire/Bf-109 Kurfurst/Fw-190 Dora/P-51D Mustang

so im re-working my cyclic and collective with my friday off from work.. stopped to see if any updates here on the ED forums..

OMG... I SAW WAG's POST, and my heart stopped beating for a moment...

wholey cow, is what i say! (but i really mean is wholey F--- lol)

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

OMG... I SAW WAG's POST, and my heart stopped beating for a moment...

wholey cow, is what i say! (but i really mean is wholey F--- lol)

Keep in mind that what you'll see is actually "960*520"!

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

you mean 640×800 per eye, the oculus the oculus developer kit has a screen of 1280x800.

The consumer version will be HD or better.

Newer DevKits use a higher res than the original..

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs