Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

According to that tool 3840x2160 low persistence is the minimum i would be happy with.

On a monitor yes, what isn't well illustrated is the 3d depth that the oculus gives, the effect is so immersive that some lack of resolution is easy to live with, it's hard to describe but even in my DK it is possible to get so immersed you don't even notice the screen door effect and at worst if feels like having slightly blurred vision.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a monitor yes, what isn't well illustrated is the 3d depth that the oculus gives, the effect is so immersive that some lack of resolution is easy to live with, it's hard to describe but even in my DK it is possible to get so immersed you don't even notice the screen door effect and at worst if feels like having slightly blurred vision.
I agree,I get totally immersed in the rift,the FPS games make me sick tho. Stupid question,I dont have a 4k monitor so I cant truly see what it looks like in that demo correct?

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

I agree,I get totally immersed in the rift,the FPS games make me sick tho. Stupid question,I dont have a 4k monitor so I cant truly see what it looks like in that demo correct?

Yeah the FPS games make me a bit ill after a while, all that fast paced running around really needs 6dof and a treadmill.

Totally agree. 1920x1080 would be pretty ideal for most gamers to start for performance rendering reasons. The immersion makes up for resolution. I can read all my guages in dcs with the dk1 so 1920x1080 would be awesome. This also doesn't show how close it is to your eyes or the lens issues. That resolution in a 5" diagonal would be amazing. 2.5K is overkill for hte first gen. 1920x1080 will be the sweet spot for a few years or you won't get 60fps stereo in all your games.

-mikey

I'd rather have lower detail and higher resolution than vice versa. And low persistence. The motion blur and low res give me quite the headache in my DK1.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I have a DK1 and I think that demo was a very bad example. Keep in mind that using minecraft to demo the rift's resolution was a horrible idea,and that demo does not factor in the immersion. If I put you in my DK1 and put in Half-Life 2 you would be blown away,a little sick to the stomach but still blown away. And I just read somewhere that Oculus has another prototype that blows away the one valve had at steam dev days.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

I have a DK1 and I think that demo was a very bad example. Keep in mind that using minecraft to demo the rift's resolution was a horrible idea,and that demo does not factor in the immersion. If I put you in my DK1 and put in Half-Life 2 you would be blown away,a little sick to the stomach but still blown away. And I just read somewhere that Oculus has another prototype that blows away the one valve had at steam dev days.

True, there are demos that don't make you as sick as others and even ones that mitigate the low res problem somewhat. Think of Blue Marble demo or Titans of Space, where the background is dark and you don't see the screendoor effect.

The first time I tried HL2 was on a prototype treadmill and I broke out in laughter because it was so ridiculously cool to have a lifesized Combine running towards me. Size does incredibly important things for immersion.

My stomach turned after a few minutes but it was an experience to behold.

And please please try to remember the link, I'd love to read about the better Rift prototype! Brendan Iribe said a few weeks ago that he is really prone to getting headaches in VR and that they have an internal prototype that he can use for hours without problems. Also, Carmack said that 4k will blow away people once they see it, so I assume they have prototypes with this reasolution internally already...

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

• ED Team

So, I got permission for Oculus to say a bit more...

Both myself and the team in Moscow have the HD Prototypes that are 1080P. (1920x1080)

Split to 960x1080 per eye. It also has reduced latency. This version already provides a much better experience than the DK1 with 640x800 per eye (split).

Alex has been working with it the last week and we already have DCS up and running on the Rift to include:

Head tracking

Re-centering hot key

Automatic Rift detection

Stereo 3D

Fixed HUD projection for 3D

In-mission GUI

Using Rift for view control in Replays

F2 view working with Rift control

Adjustments for distortion and chromatic aberration

More to still do, but things are shaping up well.

-Matt

Absolutely outstanding. Glad to hear things are going so well.

Thanks.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Both myself and the team in Moscow have the HD Prototypes that are 1080P. (1920x1080)

Split to 960x1080 per eye. It also has reduced latency. This version already provides a much better experience than the DK1 with 640x800 per eye (split).

Alex has been working with it the last week and we already have DCS up and running on the Rift to include:

Head tracking

Re-centering hot key

Automatic Rift detection

Stereo 3D

In-mission GUI

-Matt

My wife will be happy to hear this, because I won't be occupying the TV all the time, and she can watch all the soap opera she wants... Once I lay hands on an Oculus Rift, that is :D

Thanks for the update!

Oh please, implement a "-vr" launch parameter ASAP !

:D

Now I hesitate to resell my DK1...

Thanks for sharing.

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• Combined Arms/Supercarrier/Nevada TTR/Persian Gulf/Normandy
  • F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)
  • WWII : Spitfire/Bf-109 Kurfurst/Fw-190 Dora/P-51D Mustang

Ahh man this is starting to sound good! I was wanting a Rift before my favorite game adopted it... Now I can't wait. Wags, can I ask is it as engaging as we hope it will be? I.E does it really take you into the game. And are dials etc easy to read on the HD version?

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

So I guess my days of 4 screens are limited.

Definitely.

This sounds so ... 2013 :D

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• Combined Arms/Supercarrier/Nevada TTR/Persian Gulf/Normandy
  • F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)
  • WWII : Spitfire/Bf-109 Kurfurst/Fw-190 Dora/P-51D Mustang

Wags,

The question we all want to know the answer to: Do you think the early oculus adopters who have Dev kits will get a chance to try the official DCS implementation or will you guys be holding back for the consumer rift release?

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Head tracking

Re-centering hot key

Automatic Rift detection

Stereo 3D

In-mission GUI

-Matt

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asteroids

Update this

:D

well i'd like to know what kind of Rig setup ( and why so expensive :) i need to pull HD rift at 60fps- Any suggestions?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

And please please try to remember the link, I'd love to read about the better Rift prototype! Brendan Iribe said a few weeks ago that he is really prone to getting headaches in VR and that they have an internal prototype that he can use for hours without problems. Also, Carmack said that 4k will blow away people once they see it, so I assume they have prototypes with this reasolution internally already...
I found the link,keep in mind I know absolutely nothing about twitter or how to re-tweet etc. Apparently this guy is some kind of game reporter or something and got to test a version we havent seen or heard of yet. Scroll down to his Feb 13th posts.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Here is the tweet in question, for simplicity:

tweet_zpsffb1c9e0.jpg

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks Cichlidfan lol

No problem. Nice find, btw.