Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a clear answer:

do you see in 3d when using oculus rift?

Do you have to focus your eyes at different distances like in reality?

If you're looking at an object far ahead, does the cockpit become blurred as it would in RL?

Thanks

In real life we have:

- convergence (when you focus on some object, both eyes converging on this object, closer object is the more they converge) this makes objects that are not in focus to double.

- accomodation (monoscopic cue) even with single eye you need to refocus betwen close and far objects, focusing on close object makes background blurry.

Plus other things related to image itself and movement.

- parallax - when you move your head closer objects move faster than the far ones.

- perspective and other monoscopic cues...

In Oculus Rift, as in majority of other HMDs now, you have convergence cue, but not accomodation, so when you refocus on object close by - background doubles but remains sharp. This is because HMD optics focus your eyes on infinity, like HUD in airplanes, thus your eyes remain accomodated to infinity, but still converge when stereoscopic input provided.

In Oculus Rift, as in majority of other HMDs now, you have convergence cue, but not accomodation, so when you refocus on object close by - background doubles but remains sharp. This is because HMD optics focus your eyes on infinity, like HUD in airplanes, thus your eyes remain accomodated to infinity, but still converge when stereoscopic input provided.

That should say 'as in all over HMDs'. It would be impossible to make a flat display which your eye had to refocus when viewing different parts, because all parts of the display are the same distance from your eye.

Should be the same as in 3d vision: even if there is no accomodation, you can not see accurately object at far and near distance.

This is why you can not use Hud to aim target with unmodded dcs world.

Not exactly the same as in reality, but make a acceptable effect: you see either near or far objects, but not both.

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

That should say 'as in all over HMDs'. It would be impossible to make a flat display which your eye had to refocus when viewing different parts, because all parts of the display are the same distance from your eye.

This is not true, there were some experiments, for example this HMD:

https://research.nvidia.com/publication/near-eye-light-field-displays

Light field displays will allow to immitate complete visual cues, including accomodation, with flat screen.

Also there is some research based on eye tracking, and programmatically adjustable optics.

Edited by Mnemonic

• ED Team

Today my friend Aaron Davies over at Oculus stopped by with a Development Kit 2 (DK2) to test with DCS. I have a DK1 and an HD Prototype, so I was quite curious to see the improvements of the DK2 in action. I was not disappointed!

Although pixelization was a bit more evident than in the HD Prototype (to be improved in the consumer version) due to new display panel tech, the improvements in latency and full 6 DOF made the DK2 a huge advancement in my experience. Tied with our 6 DOF cockpits and a fast frame rate (75 or greater), the experience was outstanding and gave a great sense of “presence”. Doing some ACM gave me flash backs by my experience in full-dome Hornet, Viper, and Eagle simulators (at a tiny fraction of the cost of course!).

As before, the system is very much geared towards the seated position and the tracking camera is best located about 1.5 meters ahead of you around eye level. Using the micro-LED lights embedded in the faceplate of the DK2 (not visible to the naked eye), the system had very impressive tracking in regards to both detail of tracking and the overall tracking field. I could look all the over my shoulders and still maintain tracking. With each eye having 960x1080 resolution, the world looked great but still a bit difficult to read the HUD and some instruments until the resolution is further improved. With an FPS of around 75, the latency was only about 30 to 40 milliseconds.

photo.thumb.JPG.b47c305fdeac090c9a6ac4be11978491.JPG

Great news,any chance of a video of DCS in use with DK2?

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Nice , please tell bit more about hud And instrument reading.. Is it how hard to see alt And speed etc.. Im very near to order DV 2 kit :)

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for update!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Thanks Wags,

This sounds pretty darned ideal.

Can you describe the rig that got you those frame rates?

Thanks much!!

Looking forward to my DK2, should get it mid JUNE.

-mikey

I am guessing it was his (wags) rig which is in his Sig. It's a very fast rig....

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

I am guessing it was his (wags) rig which is in his Sig. It's a very fast rig....

I bet he's using EDGE too :)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Today my friend Aaron Davies over at Oculus stopped by with a Development Kit 2 (DK2) to test with DCS. I have a DK1 and an HD Prototype, so I was quite curious to see the improvements of the DK2 in action. I was not disappointed!

Although pixelization was a bit more evident than in the HD Prototype (to be improved in the consumer version) due to new display panel tech, the improvements in latency and full 6 DOF made the DK2 a huge advancement in my experience. Tied with our 6 DOF cockpits and a fast frame rate (75 or greater), the experience was outstanding and gave a great sense of “presence”. Doing some ACM gave me flash backs by my experience in full-dome Hornet, Viper, and Eagle simulators (at a tiny fraction of the cost of course!).

As before, the system is very much geared towards the seated position and the tracking camera is best located about 1.5 meters ahead of you around eye level. Using the micro-LED lights embedded in the faceplate of the DK2 (not visible to the naked eye), the system had very impressive tracking in regards to both detail of tracking and the overall tracking field. I could look all the over my shoulders and still maintain tracking. With each eye having 960x1080 resolution, the world looked great but still a bit difficult to read the HUD and some instruments until the resolution is further improved. With an FPS of around 75, the latency was only about 30 to 40 milliseconds.

Oh my god, this sounds impressive..

Hi All,

Question : if the DK2 has positional tracking and the head moves forward thus getting closer to the panel (like "zooming" ) why is it hard to read the HUD? Can it be manually triggered to zoom in to see the planes or instruments?

IAF.101_Phantom, 101 squadron XO, Preflight Community Manager

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

watch your six, i'm behind you

-----

Mods: IAF_Weapons: Python 3 and 4

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2835842/

Hi All,

Question : if the DK2 has positional tracking and the head moves forward thus getting closer to the panel (like "zooming" ) why is it hard to read the HUD? Can it be manually triggered to zoom in to see the planes or instruments?

The resolution of the screen when divided in half, and then you put a lens on it, while it's a few inches from your eye causes a low resolution effect sort of, The environment will be beautiful, but smaller text will be harder to read.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

The resolution of the screen when divided in half, and then you put a lens on it, while it's a few inches from your eye causes a low resolution effect sort of, The environment will be beautiful, but smaller text will be harder to read.

But if i understand oculos technology right, it wont cut res half. They overlap in middle bit and most of rez in center .. least it won't show left and right eye picture after each other (like in movies) but it shows those same time.

Maybe wags should tell us more :helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But if i understand oculos technology right, it wont cut res half. They overlap in middle bit and most of rez in center .. least it won't show left and right eye picture after each other (like in movies) but it shows those same time.

Maybe wags should tell us more :helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

The Horizontal Resolution per eye is half of the horizontal resolution of the screen.

so a 1080p screen is 960x1080 per eye

Prolly,

But you should be able to read the HUD in a normal sitting position without having to lean forward or hitting the zoom in/out keys.