Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Two factors with the DK2 should help with reading the gauges. Better resolution, and the ability to lean forward.

It will be interesting to see what its like spotting distant aircraft. Can anyone respond that is currently using the DK1? I hear that distant objects can be blurry with the DK1, but wonder since individual pixels can be seen with the Rift, it might enable seeing distant single pixel aircraft easier??

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone respond that is currently using the DK1? I hear that distant objects can be blurry with the DK1, but wonder since individual pixels can be seen with the Rift, it might enable seeing distant single pixel aircraft easier??

With markers on, you probably won't be surprised if I tell you it is easy to spot things. Without them, its essentially impossible.

There is a lot of down sampling going on, even when you turn off AA and such. Most engines won't render a polygon is smaller than a pixel, and with the rifts low res, most everything is smaller than a pixel almost all the time.

But the very first time I hooked it all up and did a quick mission with the A-10, I was able to gun down a convoy of targets thanks to smoke markers and luck.

The most compelling experience is simply flying around low over trees and buildings. It's also really cool looking all the way over your shoulder in order to see things. I'm so used to TrackIR that I was surprised how much I appreciate 1:1 movement!

Also, once more, anyone know the recenter button or ipd settings location? Driving me crazy!

Entropy Squadron

Possibly the least serious group of pilots on Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The center button is whatever you want it to be,but by default I think it is num pad 5 key,I assigned it to my warthog so i didnt have to feel around for a key.As far as IPD settings are concerned make sure you are using Rift SDK 0.2.5 and NOT the newer 0.3.1.

Edited by blksolo

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

For those in attendance, Oculus VR will be showing the DK2 with DCS at ITEC 2014.

Great to hear, this might be an inappropriate questions but will OR be running other sims there or is it exclusively DCS & OR that are putting on the demo?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Dogs of War Dedicated WWII Server Thread

For those in attendance, Oculus VR will be showing the DK2 with DCS at ITEC 2014.

Now that is the best news I have heard in a long time,please tell me there will be video of this demo!!

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

FYI, Palmer is on the cover of the latest issue of Wired magazine. Haven't read the article yet.

EDIT: link

http://www.wired.com/2014/05/oculus-rift-4/

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

This looks interesting :music_whistling:

:pilotfly:Wolfpack Production:pilotfly:

-=<[WiN 10, I7 3770K @ 4,5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Dominator, Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB, C70 Vengance, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro rudder, Track IR, Beyerdynamics MMX 300 ]>=-

DCS/FC2/FC3/Arma videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfpackproductionDK

"Fortes Furtuna Juvat"

This looks interesting :music_whistling:

OOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo

RlrRp6a.gif

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

has anyone fixed the black screen issue with AMD cards yet?

i have a R-290 and can start Black Shark but only get a black screen once the game starts. i can hear it and if i move the oculus around i can hear the movement. i.e. it sounds like i am looking around in game.

i get the black screen on the oculus and main monitor.

i reinstalled my OS, windows 8.1 and also DCS but still no change.

I have a friend who is using Windows 7 and he also has the same issue.

Any help would be great as i so want to get in the air with the Oculus.

Oculus has several different SDK versions on the website,maybe you could try using a different version. They just released a new version about a month ago I think. I dont use the new version tho. BTw I have an Nvidia card.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

I tried the different SDKs oculus has.. to no avail....I gave up trying to get it to work with my AMD card....I get the black screen too. Hoping the DCS crew look at this problem. Im just using Rise of Flight with Tridef now and it works beautifully!!

My main machine also has an Amd 7970 and it will NOT run oculus rift data. It runs anything that does not go to the rift. If it goes to the rift screen both screens go black. I had a support ticket which they tried very hard to get it to work and then notified me that up front GUI is not yet available.

I also have GTX 550 card so I installed DCS World on that machine along with the rift and WALLA, on my first P51 solo mission the Rift came alive and I am emersed in 360 3D!!!! It is great. Now I have to go train so I can know how to fly it. Such Fun. I will use the GTX machine til they figure it out.

This forum has been a great help and I am glad to be part of it.

Now off to Rift!

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I tried the different SDKs oculus has.. to no avail....I gave up trying to get it to work with my AMD card....I get the black screen too. Hoping the DCS crew look at this problem. Im just using Rise of Flight with Tridef now and it works beautifully!!

I posted here a while ago about my AMD card not working with the rift. I've decided to stop playing DCS until EDGE (and hopefully full rift support.)

See you guys in 2 years. ;)

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

Has ED acknowledged any problems with AMD cards and rift support for DCS?

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

has anyone fixed the black screen issue with AMD cards yet?

I asked the same question a month or two ago and never found or heard of a solution for native support of rift and AMD. The good news is that using the Stereo monitor setting in DCS and opentrack I was able to approximate the experience. A highlight is that opentrack supports other trackers. This lets me attach a Hydra to the HMD for translation tracking in addition to rifts angular tracking. This allowed 6DOF movement and importantly leaning into the instrument panel in game in order to read the instruments.

Two issues I had to address was editing the Stereo.lua file properly as the defaults were far from correct. This is what I did: Flip the signs for left/right viewDx and zero the values. Then progressively increased the values by .001 until things were comfortable in game. My final value is .005. Other settings I left the same. Also rift support in unchecked(disabled) in DCS settings screen. Note that Stereo monitor does not have barrel distortion but it wasn't noticeable center view and only mildly visible at the edges of view.

Setting the values in opentrack is straight forward and there's no gotchas, it requires flipping between opentrack and dcs to set the axis curves. Almost all my curves are just single point to move the max down. They're all linear except for yaw, that need some slight inflection at the far right to get 90 deg gaze along each shoulder to look down each wing and still see the far limit at the tail. I had to invert pitch and TX axis. I think Center Pose is for compensating rotation effects of having the Hydra off center. Would like to hear if anyone fiddles with it. Full disclosure, I upgraded my AMD to an Nvidia since and DCS rift support worked perfectly. No change was necessary other than to turn on DCS rift support. But I still prefer the hydra+rift config.

An issue with the rift in particular however is yaw drift that becomes noticeable after about 15 minutes in pit. I find myself progressively rotating to keep the view centered.

So the result of all this is the ability to lean closer to the instruments. While it doesn't make everything perfectly legible. I can read the numbers on the larger dials and some of the other instruments depending how far away the panel is. In the Huey I can lean in and read the lines of the white label on the pilot sight. The controls on the center console are easily discerned but any writing is not. Hydra and rift are much better than rift alone, where just about every label in pit is illegible. As improved as it is, it's not an ideal environment to learn the cockpit.

In general I'd say the HMD adds a new layer of the flight sim experience beyond what trackir and hotas provide. The ability to maneuver and keep sight of another aircraft over shoulder is really the sensation I've been wanting ever since using padlock in Falcon4. Out of pit, other aircraft are not visible beyond 1 mile and really only effectively below a half mile. Interestingly this gives a twist to the utility of labels. While not particularly realistic, it does mitigate, to some degree, the AC at distance issue. Objects larger than AC suffer less from the low resolution problem and the land scape is entirely believable to point of being navigable. That said, it's unfair to compare flying a rift vs a 3 monitor setup in terms of total experience. Modern displays have had over 20 years of refinement since the first VGA displays. While the rift and support for stereo display in common software is a year or two. For now my flying will be split between stereo and mono, but I expect the ratio to only skew more towards stereo as displays improve.

Edited by rabidmanatee

One question please. How do I move my Huey Module over to Steam so I can use it there.

Thanks,

Hey Jeff! I searched for an hour an got no response, but I clicked around enough and figured it out.

I would recommenced to uninstall it first from your PC.

I purchased my games through DCS.com, it might be similiar if you purchased it from another site but you have to get the activation code they provided.

Go to digitalcombatsimulator.com

Look on the left column for Personal and click it.

Then click Order.

Now you can look to the right and click Details to get your activation code.

Open steam up and and under the Games tab click "activate product on steam" and Viola! Steam will begin to add it.

Or try the link below..

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/order/

(I was reading there is no need to "deactivate unless you are moving the game to a new PC.)

You can do this with all the DCS addons I believe. I moved over, FC3, A10, Huey, Blackshark 2.

NOTE - DOWNLOAD DCS world, let it update, and add the activation keys. If you don't see the new additions, make sure DCS world is downloaded and updated and restart Steam.

Good luck! :)