Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there some sort of NDA thats curtails any mention of how DCS looked on the Oculus Rift DK2 at ITEC last month?
This is the only thing I could find.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

These are interesting:

Thanks for the links, I am no longer looking forward to this OR... if you can't read instruments and text, it is useless for DCS... at least the guy was honest enough about his experience with it in DCS.

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

Well unless he has little bit bad vision, I take his comment as what I would see (or not see) if I tried one.

There's been too many disappointments and I wouldn't be surprised if this was just another one of that list.

Edited by Kuky

I'm gonna have to call BS on this one,I have a DK1 and every once in a while I use my trackir 5 with it and when you lean forward you can read all of the gauges and most instruments and MFD's. The only things I have trouble reading are the control panel letters,UFC letters and other fine print items because trackir loses me if I lean that far in.DK2 will have much wider degree of tracking I am sure. I'm sure there were some items he couldnt read but to say he couldnt read anything is just not true or he is blind. Also with the recent Samsung Oculus collaboration CV1 will be 1440p minimum.

Edited by blksolo

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

I'm gonna have to call BS on this one,I have a DK1 and every once in a while I use my trackir 5 with it and when you lean forward you can read every single letter and instrument.Dont believe me try it yourself if you have DK1 and trackir.

Same for me.

I agree. Can't believe the resolution was as bad as he says. Greasy, fogged up or wrong lenses for his eyes maybe. By zooming slightly with DK1 you can read gauges. DK2 should be better. Unless OLED pentile is a major step backwards. We should know next month. I wouldn't discount OR completely remember these are dev kits with max res of 1080p. Consumer version is expected to be 1440P.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I agree. Can't believe the resolution was as bad as he says. Greasy, fogged up or wrong lenses for his eyes maybe. By zooming slightly with DK1 you can read gauges. DK2 should be better.

You can't zoom with native DCS world OR implementation, and that's correct, it's very important to keep virtual FOV and HMD FOV the same.

You can move your head forward, that's true, however from my personal observation I can't read anything on Su-25T HUD with DK1, and because it's collimated it doesn't matter how close you move your head to it.

On the other hand, even if you move your head to the instruments of Frogfoot, it's really hard to read them in DK1. It is possible, but it's far from enjoyable, or realistic.

Shouldn't be too long till DK2 will arrive and we will test it first hand. But keep in mind there are just x1.5 pixels more horizontally, and new screens have pentile subpixel layout, so readability may be different from what we expect it to be.

I think DevKits should only be worse looking.... functionality and specs shoyld not be different from actual final product. In order to release final product they must first have tested it (actual hardware) and it wont be as good looking as final product (fact is most people still want a cool looking gadget). So if this test kit is not good enough, it wont matter if final product is cool looking.

But in the end unless eventually I try one myself I can never know for sure... time will tell, but now I am sceptical

Who is to say the current dev kits aren't worse looking than the intended consumer release? the dev kits are being built with the best components available to them at the time, the components for the consumer release are still being developed, the dev kits are intended to be put in the hands of developers simply so they can implement the functionality to their titles, no they should not be on equal spec to the consumer release or they would be the consumer release.

I think DevKits should only be worse looking.... functionality and specs shoyld not be different from actual final product.

Perhaps that should be the case, but it isn't.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks for the tips on moving my module over. I must say that I am really enjoying the Huey in the OR. The panel is not readable but don't need it at this point of my training. Maybe my DK2 will be better.

Caught a video on youtube that is really great. Search DCS World Max Flight Stick Oculus Rift and it will come up. He used a Razor (sic) attached to the Rift and can lean in any direction and look at the panel, etc. Pretty cool video.

I have the Max flight stick. Anybody have any experiences in DCS World with it??

Combat flight simmers won't be very happy, if the reports are true that the DK2's OLED screendoor effect has very visible black dots. Not to mention the rumour that distance objects become even more blurred with OLED screens.

The rumoured limited partner ship with Samsung may be true according to IGN. The alliance is said to the provide Oculus with early access to its next-gen OLED screens, which could alleviate the screendoor/blackdot problem.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/02/samsung-working-with-oculus-on-a-vr-headset

Combat flight simmers won't be very happy, if the reports are true that the DK2's OLED screendoor effect has very visible black dots. Not to mention the rumour that distance objects become even more blurred with OLED screens.

The rumoured limited partner ship with Samsung may be true according to IGN. The alliance is said to the provide Oculus with early access to its next-gen OLED screens, which could alleviate the screendoor/blackdot problem.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/02/samsung-working-with-oculus-on-a-vr-headset

OLED has nothing to do with Distance objects being blurred, that's simply a resolution issue, along with the screendoor/blackdot effect.

OLED > LED > LCD.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

OLED has nothing to do with Distance objects being blurred, that's simply a resolution issue, along with the screendoor/blackdot effect.

OLED > LED > LCD.

I'm sure that OLED has many better attributes than LED screen especially in regards to latencies, but there are many discussion in the Oculus and redit forums, and users of the DK2 that the screendoor effect is worse. So this could suggest that at equal resolutions the OLED may not be superior to LED.

I'm sure the OR team are well aware of any issue these displays might have and are in the process procuring the best display possible within user system tolerances, atleast for the first consumer version.

Weird, at the Oculus forums the general opinion is that DK2 has less screen door from the very few that are getting to use it so far and all the opinion on pentile being bad is pure speculation.

I agree, reports of the Crystal Cove/DK2 screendoor effect was less at other shows. Some people at ITEC report more screendoor effect when running DCS. Well it won't be long before we receive the DK2 in July, where we can make our own minds up, how much a distraction the screen door effect has on this particular prototype of the OR.

I'm sure that OLED has many better attributes than LED screen especially in regards to latencies, but there are many discussion in the Oculus and redit forums, and users of the DK2 that the screendoor effect is worse. So this could suggest that at equal resolutions the OLED may not be superior to LED.

I'm sure the OR team are well aware of any issue these displays might have and are in the process procuring the best display possible within user system tolerances, atleast for the first consumer version.

You sure about that? DK2 is still limited distribution; And the info I have from people that have used it is the exact opposite.

OLED = Better Color, Better Contrast, Better Black Levels, Faster Response Times/Refresh Rate, Less Ghosting, Wider Viewing Angle, Higher Pixel Density, Smaller Pixels (which leads back to Density/res.), Uses Less Power, Puts out less Heat etc.

Do you actually know anything about OLED (ie How it works) or are you going by what people are stating on Reddit? (Serious question, not a stab or anything.)

I have several OLED Devices and they are significantly better than LCD/LED BackLight Panels.

Pixel for Pixel the clarity should be the same, the difference being OLED is Illuminated per pixel and not globally.

As for Signing a Deal with Samsung..

My Samsung Smartphone has a Higher Overall Resolution than my brother's 42" HDTV. Sooooo.. :)

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs