Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

You need Oculus Rift and Contol VR for DCS, then You are in the Aircraft and Control it with your Fingers like the real one, look in 3D out of the Cockpit and perform Dogfights like a real Pilot. No CurvedScreen can do that. We only need a Control VR Body in our Cockpits.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm absolutly looking forward to fly DCS:1944 with the Rift next year. With a campaign by Desastersoft this would be the most immersive experience in my flying career.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I would definitely not say that VR helmet is better then full blown projection... far from it. Lets be honest here, the only good thing VR has is much lower price and space it requires ;)

both have pros and cons imo.

Interesting experience I had with Oculus + Chopper demo was that with VR, you hardly gonna try a silly maneuver with it.

I dont know if it's because things are drawn with almost 1:1 with 3D, you somewhat feel "it will trigger catastrophic outcome if I exceed this" feeling as you do in reality.(like when you drive a car)

Also when you land the chopper, your handling on the stick and throttle become very deliberate even though its FM is gamey as there is actually no choice other than doing that.(you feel VERY uncomfortable with rough landing)

I think these feelings you can experience are VR exclusive.

No, the sad fact is simply that VR is putting your nose out of joint because you are a seller of alternate technology which is going to suffer badly because it is massively limited and frankly inferior.

bongo - WOW, that rift is SO fantastic, everything is soooo REAL - I never experienced anything like that before! So much detail and everything is so sharp.I can even have a look over my shoulder without turning mu head. i can even see the ants on the ground and squirels in the trees! WOW - there is nothing better than oculus. I will even read my emails, books and watch TV on it, that will completely replace everything including my house, fridge and toilet. Screw those guys who say otherwise - never had it on but it is so Awesome - internet says so - so it must be true. I'll be living in virtual world. WOW and if I buy this version and I find i can recognize a house from horse they will sell me NEW version with few extra pixels!!! And then another one and than another one and then another one. WOW That will be better than real life:pilotfly:.

Feeling happier bongo?

OK - now reality check - oculus is alternate technology which is suffering heavily from shortcomings because of technological limitations and quite frankly in it's current state it is regretfully inferior to everything else - BUT IT HAS A 3D EFFECT WHICH IS SO CUTE!!!! that's it.

Here is bit of history - what is the oculus based on

and where the ideas came from http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=11970 Palmer was contributing as well but it was joint effort - Once palmer took everything by himself to kickstarter that was it for new fresh ideas and nothing new came up pretty much since. Everybody believed things will get better and the development will fly forward - Instead the whole DIY creative community died, all development stopped and oculus started pouring money and creativity into scam marketting instead of bringing new things. If you tear things done the only innovative thing is marketing and selling hype. That would be probably the reason why out of all companies Oculus was bought by facebook because they are the best positioned to harvest the hype. If it was about product and HMD tech companies would jump in instead of social media which are the best for amping up hypes ( has anybody wondered what's in it for facebook?)

Kuky - that's bang on a money and the exact progression I went through: Excitement, novelty wears off, reality check, denial, resignation. Oculus made me go through it again but this time it was very shortly lived :-)

PS: yes I'm worried about the way software developers are pressured from Oculus. I like complexity, detail, and challenge - that's what PC excels in - For simpletons games with funky effects we already have xbox, playstation and wii

PPS: good bye and out

Edited by zahry

Having never tried the rift my opinion is unqualified. However I will say that it seems to me that flying with the rift will compromise competitiveness for online events/squadmatches due to previously mentioned issues. In that sense it would seem to me not a substitute to a large high quality monitor. Yet.

If you think about it it took trackir 3 or 4 generations before it bacame a flight sim must have. Most squads now would not recruit a cadet without trackir and hotas hardware. I think the same will happen with VR. Its likely that within a few generations the technology will catch up to the requirement and at that point it will become a necessity.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Having never tried the rift my opinion is unqualified. However I will say that it seems to me that flying with the rift will compromise competitiveness for online events/squadmatches due to previously mentioned issues. In that sense it would seem to me not a substitute to a large high quality monitor. Yet.

If you think about it it took trackir 3 or 4 generations before it bacame a flight sim must have. Most squads now would not recruit a cadet without trackir and hotas hardware. I think the same will happen with VR. Its likely that within a few generations the technology will catch up to the requirement and at that point it will become a necessity.

I agree completely... There are clearly issues with VR as it is that require looking into. There are also issues with a full-blown projection system. For example, the vertical viewing angle is limited... You can't simply raise your head and look up like you could with a head-tracking system such as tir. That is in addition to the spatial requirement and the horrendous monthly electricity bill...

To me, I would want a full-blown projection system with the above issue (vertical fov) ironed out. That would be the next best thing after piloting a real aircraft. Next up might be VR, with all the mentioned issues resolved.

But as it is, it seems that the most sensible option for me is to keep the current setup (42 TV+trackir), until a later time when either system mentioned above achieves perfection.

Any wide FOV solution reduces competitiveness to me. I've discovered that when tried to play games on a big screen positioned close enough to make a 90 degree FOV. Suddenly my targets disappeared in the peripheral vision area. I've discovered i had to actually turn my head constantly to keep situational awareness! Add a trackir to that and it becomes a mess. It's very inconvenient compared to traditional monitors, where you just have everything in front of your eyes, and there are no lags required to move your head and acquire a new visual contact. That's even more true for the online FPS games, as they require very small reaction times.

VR is alright, if you are just using HOTAS, with no peripherials, even using mouse to press buttons in game is not that good because your perception of where you are clicking in game (distances etc) are not the same as what you will be doing with your hands (to have to keep reaching the mouse)

I can imagine a bunch of weird solutions for this )

Though i can easily grab my mouse with the eyes closed. Just a motor memory.

Anyway, i don't want to spill my tea, so a camera module attached to a VR device is an idea worth of trying. Even 2 cams to keep things stereoscopic.

Or i can use my fret saw to make a window beneath. Don't think it would ruin the immersion. Otherwise my cup of tea should be virtual too )

I don't think this type of VR will replace the big screen. I am sure OR helmet cannot be worn too long time... is just unconfortable among other drawbacks.

While it will be nice to use OR, this one will simply not have the practical side of an monitor.

In my point of view, VR will have an important impact on such sims when the holodecks will be mature enough. Until then, VR will be just for fun.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

I think the Oculus Rift will be the best Immersion for Flightsims ever and at the moment im using a 40" TripleScreen Setup Powered by GeForce Titan.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

Being competitive is a good point. It will be interesting to see how competitive people can still be using consumer VR products. It could be a problem with initial consumer versions, but fade away as the hardware improves. Nobody was more competitive than I, but I'm finding age has diminished that urge. Now I believe I would much prefer the far superior feeling of flight that VR provides, than any competitive edge a monitor "might" provide. Considering the vast majority of todays flight simmers, and the new ones brought to the genre by the VR experience won't be hardcore competitive online players. Most will be flying against relatively easy AI opponents that have icons enabled.

My hotas system, and voice recognition software will provide hundreds of inputs, far more inputs than I will ever use for WW2 sims, so I won't need to see my Hotas or keyboard to fly. The feeling of presences/immersion will far out-way any drawbacks the first consumer versions might have, for most people.

Surely a VR system is more comfortable than a cockpit (I had a pit). It fits every plane and when you get it off... spoof!

The VR systems will get smaller and lighter that's for sure. Maybe it will get wireless too.

Heck... long hair is less comfortable than short hair :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I have a question for people that have tried DCS with DK1. If you enable cockpit shadows, are they not rendered properly in 3D as of right now?

Also, anyone have luck with getting an AMD card to work with the Rift yet?

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

I have a question for people that have tried DCS with DK1. If you enable cockpit shadows, are they not rendered properly in 3D as of right now?...

Confirm - they not rendered properly. Light sources are different for each eye.

I turn off cockpit shadows.

I9-9900K@5000, Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Dell UP3216q

VPC MongoosT-50 CM2 Stick, Base (75+100 ext.) & Throttle, BRD KG-13B, adapted to use with Warthog connector, VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals, 2 x Saitek Quadrant,

Pimax Vision 8K Plus + 2 HTC Bases + Index Controllers + DAS

A lot of 3D printed modifications for all above.

Ultimaker 2+; Hardlight Sirius

Presumably the EDGE graphic engine and DK2 support will eliminate some of the issues that people are experiencing with the DK1. Not to say there won't be issues for atleast a year after the CV1 consumer release.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I just received an email from oculus to check my details as they are shipping soon.. Hopefully that means I am near the front lol.

this one?

This email is being sent to all developers with pending pre-orders for the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 and is not an indication of your specific order status.

Hi JohnDoh,

We are preparing to start shipping the new Oculus Rift Development Kit 2. Please take a moment to update your billing and shipping information on the Order Management page: https://www.oculusvr.com/sales/.

Incomplete information or errors with your payment information or shipping address will cause shipping delays.

For people that purchased using credit cards, we have already charged a $50 deposit. We will charge the remaining balance to the original credit card shortly before we ship your DK2. If we are unable to charge the credit card on file, you will receive an email notification, but your order will be delayed until we can successfully complete the transaction.

For people that purchased using PayPal, their policy requires us to charge the full amount at the point of sale, so you’re all set. Just confirm your address and you’ll receive your kit.

To check on your order information and status:

Go to https://www.oculusvr.com/sales/

Enter the email address you used when originally placing your order

Check your email for a link to a page with your order information

Verify or update your shipping address

Verify or update your payment instrument

Thanks,

Oculus VR

I just received an email from oculus to check my details as they are shipping soon.. Hopefully that means I am near the front lol.

Hi there, just discovered this thread about Oculus Rift, have a couple of questions.

I want to order the toy on Oculus website, but in the Agreement, it says the kit is for developer and not for consumer product, what does that mean? It was in the Pre-order page.

Another question is that I see a great number of videos on Youtube showing people using the toy, and notice that the screen on their monitor is divided into 2 view I presume they represent the left and right eyes, is that what I will see when wearing the Oculus ?

Also, I wear spectacles, do I take off my glasses before putting on the Oculus, or the toy has space to accommodate my glasses as well?

Last one, I saw another video on Youtube that a chap playing DCS Huey with Oculus, he remarked that Oculus reduces the game resolution, I certainly wish that will not be the case with DCS World, cause the game is so beautiful at 1680/1050.

Hi Device,

Hi there, just discovered this thread about Oculus Rift, have a couple of questions.

I want to order the toy on Oculus website, but in the Agreement, it says the kit is for developer and not for consumer product, what does that mean?

That mean that the oculus developer kit 2 has as target group developers and not customers. So it have a lower resolution, a stronger pixle grid and perhapes less features than the final customer version

Another question is that I see a great number of videos on Youtube showing people using the toy, and notice that the screen on their monitor is divided into 2 view I presume they represent the left and right eyes, is that what I will see when wearing the Oculus ?

yes, but the optical quality will be in the oculus not so good like when you watching that videos on the screen, because you will also have pixlegrid, which means you can see with your eyes the pixles of the display.

Also, I wear spectacles, do I take off my glasses before putting on the Oculus, or the toy has space to accommodate my glasses as well?

from case to case different, depends how good your eyes are without glasses if you have luck you can use it without glasses, if you have no luck like me for example you must wear your glasses, but there is enough space for that.

Last one, I saw another video on Youtube that a chap playing DCS Huey with Oculus, he remarked that Oculus reduces the game resolution, I certainly wish that will not be the case with DCS World, cause the game is so beautiful at 1680/1050.

the oculus dk2 have a resolution of 960 x 1080 per eye. Perhapes the final consumer version will have a better display, which is to be very likely.

At the moment the oculus rift and dk 2 is just a gadget for normal consumers, which gives you a impression of the immersion which the final consumer product 'could' provide but not more.

So it's on you to decide if it's worth or better to wait ~6 - 12 months to get a final product with that you can play games very good.

i don't know how much shipping costs you have to pay, i live in germany and i have to pay 55USD shipping costs and 76.95 USD fees and taxes and end up with total costs of 481.95 USD

Hi Device,

That mean that the oculus developer kit 2 has as target group developers and not customers. So it have a lower resolution, a stronger pixle grid and perhapes less features than the final customer version

yes, but the optical quality will be in the oculus not so good like when you watching that videos on the screen, because you will also have pixlegrid, which means you can see with your eyes the pixles of the display.

from case to case different, depends how good your eyes are without glasses if you have luck you can use it without glasses, if you have no luck like me for example you must wear your glasses, but there is enough space for that.

the oculus dk2 have a resolution of 960 x 1080 per eye. Perhapes the final consumer version will have a better display, which is to be very likely.

At the moment the oculus rift and dk 2 is just a gadget for normal consumers, which gives you a impression of the immersion which the final consumer product 'could' provide but not more.

So it's on you to decide if it's worth or better to wait ~6 - 12 months to get a final product with that you can play games very good.

i don't know how much shipping costs you have to pay, i live in germany and i have to pay 55USD shipping costs and 76.95 USD fees and taxes and end up with total costs of 481.95 USD

Thanks tobaschi for your reply.

Let me get this right, so Oculus Rift and Oculus DK2 are both prototype, they are not meant to be a finished product for general VR games consumer, is that correct?

I still do not understand about the two views, maybe I didn't ask the question well. I saw on the videos that when using the toy, there are 2 views representing the left and right eyes visions, that is those who are not wearing the toy see the game is divided into 2 visions. But what does the user who is wearing the Oculus Rift see?

This video shows 1 single view

This video shows 2 views

Edited by Device6

Yes DK1 and DK2 are prototypes aimed mainly at developers so they can have games ready for when CV1 is released. It's handy as well for OR devs for consumers to get their hands on the early versions as it builds hype and gets some wider feedback. But I would assume developers are their main target group. A peripheral with no games that support it is useless after all. Personally I'm waiting until CV1 hits the market before buying. I don't think you'd want anything less than the resolution it'll have for flight sims at least.

As for the view a user sees when using the rift it's just one screen. The two screens are necessary to give the 3D effect which is what a third party sees on a monitor but the user just sees one combined screen.

Yes DK1 and DK2 are prototypes aimed mainly at developers so they can have games ready for when CV1 is released. It's handy as well for OR devs for consumers to get their hands on the early versions as it builds hype and gets some wider feedback. But I would assume developers are their main target group. A peripheral with no games that support it is useless after all. Personally I'm waiting until CV1 hits the market before buying. I don't think you'd want anything less than the resolution it'll have for flight sims at least.

As for the view a user sees when using the rift it's just one screen. The two screens are necessary to give the 3D effect which is what a third party sees on a monitor but the user just sees one combined screen.

Thanks for clearing my mind. So, I just stick to my TrackIR for the time being.