Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

So are click-able cockpits working with mouse cursor with the Oculus Rift DK2?

If they are not is it going to be possible to fix this issue?

Nope not working for me. I'm not loading up dcs again until it gets an update.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I read DK2 has 2x 5 inch screens.

It has a single screen rendering two images.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

DK2 uses the Samsung Note 3's Screen, Un Modified. 1080P AMOLED, Shoot, the Touch Sensor is still there and activated, lol.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

So are click-able cockpits working with mouse cursor with the Oculus Rift DK2?

If they are not is it going to be possible to fix this issue?

Certainly are in my cockpit. I've heard others complain they are not though.

I do cold and dark startups in the rift all the time with no issues, only using mouse cursor and the Hotas.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Is anyone suffering from eye focus strains problems with certain cockpits? I have a hard time with the p-51d cockpit - for some reason, I can focus fine on the gun sight (NO HAND HOLD text) ... but if i focus out, i get crazy eye strains.. Less problem with the TF-51D, and even less with the Huey...

It seems like when there are objects close to me, I can only focus on that depth and not the distance... However, when nearest object is further away, everything is much much more comfortable...

I wonder if it's my IPD settings (yes I did calibrate the config before hand).

How easy is it to point the cursor and click on stuff? Do you have to keep your head real steady? I know I had stiff neck trying to use the mouse with track IR which made it almost essential to turn off head tracking while manipulating switches. I know oculus has way less sensitivity since it is 1 to 1 motion ratio. A while back I brought up the idea of using a new positional coordinate system for use with oculus / and or track based on the cockpit panels, rather than the display/monitor itself. Anotherwords you can move your head around and the mouse cursor will stay where it is at. Similar to how your hands function, you can keep your hand over a switch or layed onto a panel and move your head independently. One issue I thought about was, what happens if you move your head to look at the right instrument panel while the cursor is on the left panel. A couple things could be done. You can leave the mouse where it is and show a reference arrow at the edge of the screen the points you to where your cursor is so that you can bring it back into view, or you make it so that if the cursor hits the edge of the screen the screen boundary drags it along so you never lose the cursor.

Personally I find it as easy as using a normal screen with track IR, although I did have to lock that sometimes. Just look at the switch click and your away. You don't get any of the small constant movements, that you can get with Track IR.

It really is as easy as flicking a switch in real life. Sometimes though the switch location is a little off the physical switch you see. Just move the mouse over the switch you want until it turns green.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

• ED Team

Ok I got the DK 2 now, and I've managed it to get it working on the test scene (sitting in front of that desk), and the oculus world test that came with the SDK, where you run around in that cabin-like house.

First off, it's Awesome. Quite amazing to get drawn into the game world like that. :)

And I got it working within DCS, but first of all, it's way blurrier than the stuff i've seen here so far, and when im looking around, there is this nasty jitter and blur effect happening. And the fps are quite solid (only happens in dcs, not the test demos).

And regarding those demos and games you can try out from the oculus website, how exactly do you get the rift to work with those games?? :P

None of the games i've downloaded seems to work, even though it says they support dk 2.

What settings do I have to use? Couldn't find any useful info about this when i searched...

Any help would be appreciated, since i've only had it for a few hours.

Most haven't been updated to SDK0.4. Not even DCS has. One thing for DCS at the moment, I've read that people have more success setting the rift as primary and using the B-Cups.

I'm still in pending status so I cannot personally comment.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Ok I got the DK 2 now, and I've managed it to get it working on the test scene (sitting in front of that desk), and the oculus world test that came with the SDK, where you run around in that cabin-like house.

First off, it's Awesome. Quite amazing to get drawn into the game world like that. :)

And I got it working within DCS, but first of all, it's way blurrier than the stuff i've seen here so far, and when im looking around, there is this nasty jitter and blur effect happening. And the fps are quite solid (only happens in dcs, not the test demos).

And regarding those demos and games you can try out from the oculus website, how exactly do you get the rift to work with those games?? :P

None of the games i've downloaded seems to work, even though it says they support dk 2.

What settings do I have to use? Couldn't find any useful info about this when i searched...

Any help would be appreciated, since i've only had it for a few hours.

MI-8 is awesome with DK2

• ED Team

Ok this is weird, I got the DK 2 to work within DCS, but no matter what i do now, it wont work.

When I enter the sim now, i get 2 problems:

1 - When the sim is loading and im looking through the rift, its like the entire image has been shifted to the very bottom, making it impossible to see anything, except rainbow-like colors.

And when the loading is complete, the rift does not work.

2 - the picture is normal during the loading screen, but when I get in the sim, it appears to not be working, and when i unpause, the screen goes black, even though I have sound.

Anyone else?

Ok this is weird, I got the DK 2 to work within DCS, but no matter what i do now, it wont work.

1 - When the sim is loading and im looking through the rift, its like the entire image has been shifted to the very bottom, making it impossible to see anything, except rainbow-like colors.

2 - the picture is normal during the loading screen, but when I get in the sim, it appears to not be working, and when i unpause, the screen goes black, even though I have sound.

Anyone else?

uhm.. i dont have that problems, do you use sdk 3 or 4?

I've just received my DK2 and am having the same issue as a few hundred others: The setup software simply doesn't detect the rift.

I am on the other hand, able to get it to turn on for DCS world. One problem though: The view is sideways and in one eye only.

Can someone who has this working on DK2 post their monitorsetup LUA script? I can't seem to force DCS to play in 1920x1080, which probably isn't helping, and when I had it working on DK1, the DIP was so out of whack that I could feel my eyes converging.

Once I get those things squared away, I'll be sure to post my impressions and comparisons to DK1 or using a tripplewide setup with TrackIR.

Entropy Squadron

Possibly the least serious group of pilots on Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've just received my DK2 and am having the same issue as a few hundred others: The setup software simply doesn't detect the rift.

I am on the other hand, able to get it to turn on for DCS world. One problem though: The view is sideways and in one eye only.

Can someone who has this working on DK2 post their monitorsetup LUA script? I can't seem to force DCS to play in 1920x1080, which probably isn't helping, and when I had it working on DK1, the DIP was so out of whack that I could feel my eyes converging.

Once I get those things squared away, I'll be sure to post my impressions and comparisons to DK1 or using a tripplewide setup with TrackIR.

Rotate the rift display in Nvidia control panel

I figured the sidways issue out thanks to Cymantic Bruce. Thanks though.

I just got out of a quick mission with the A-10C. Video wouldn't do any good because you wouldn't be able to see how it actually looks. In fact video of the Rift can be somewhat misleading as it always looks cleaner than in the rift.

The resolution is still too low to make out instruments, and it seems like the game isn't even drawing textures at the proper resolution. I found leaning in didn't help.

The new screen door effect is much easier to deal with than the DK1, but it is still there. Things just look smoother.

The added dimension of being able to move your head (not just rotate) is stellar. I was able to look over my shoulder and see an engine fire, and track ground targets much better. Even better, now the rift doesn't drift, so I'm always facing the correct direction.

In the current setup I'm running, there are serious problems with after-image, especially in the cockpit. Sudden head movements are even worse than they were in DK1. I'm guessing this might be fixed once I get the Oculus Config Utility working properly. (I tried with and without V-sync, no change)

The F15 cockpit didn't seem to be as bad, not sure why.

Considering how little space your HUD makes up, even with the improved resolution, altitude and speed are unreadable, and targets are still a pile of red pixels on my hud. I was able to do a gun run on three APCs, with two kills, so there is that, but when I took a pass at a KA-50, I couldn't tell which way he was facing until I passed him.

I'm a huge VR enthusiast and Oculus fan, but I've got to say if you are kicking yourself for not buying the DK2, don't be. It is very impressive, but it isn't something I'll be spending hours and hours in. It still needs double the pixels, and half the headaches.

Another note: The camera is supposed to be 5 feet away for the best tracking. I've got 3 feet from my head to my center monitor (I have an Obutto cockpit) so my head tracking probably isn't the best. I hope CV1 has a wider angle lens, or an adjustable one, or those of us with a home cockpit are going to need to make some major changes to integrate this thing.

I'll post again when I get thins further sorted.

Entropy Squadron

Possibly the least serious group of pilots on Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In the current setup I'm running, there are serious problems with after-image, especially in the cockpit. Sudden head movements are even worse than they were in DK1. I'm guessing this might be fixed once I get the Oculus Config Utility working properly. (I tried with and without V-sync, no change)

Have you made sure it's set to 75hz and that you are getting above 75 fps?

Anyone else?

Hey dude, you have to kill the processes OVRSERVICE and wscript. Then the game will load up. with tracking and all. I had to make the rift my primary display as well so I can use the mouse for the click pit. It seems the mouse is locked to the primary monitor.

hopefully someone from here starts posting on Oculus VR's forums..

It's like almost every one there is a DCS Newbie and the level of knowledge for simple things is MIA.

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11328

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Anyone know when we can expect low latency with the DK2 in DCS? When the new SDK comes out and DCS is patched with support for the new SDK? That's my guess. I'm getting very high latency right now (blurry when you move your head).

EDIT: Nevermind. I just had to set graphics to low. Sucks considering I have a 770 GTX 4gb.

Edited by JaySmizzle