Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldnt that be great?

I was hoping NaturalPoint would have done a camera that didnt require you to wear anything by now, the technology is there.

I tried to make my own with Kinect for windows but the latency wasnt good enough and it had trouble tracking me when the room wasnt brightly lit (I havent tried Kinect 2 yet and wasnt planning to buy it because I got the rift instead :joystick:).

As you've pointed out, the technology is there. Also as you may have noticed, it generally sucks compared to the way natural point does it. Its obviously much less work on the back end to look for little moving IR lights, as opposed to finding a human head and filtering it out from the background.

Do anyone have an actual review of DCS with DK1? or DK2? Have anyone tested dev kit gen2?

I have no experience with the DK1 but I got my DK2 about a week ago. It took me a while to figure out how to get it working with DCS but I did. It depends on your system because a lot of people have different experiences. Mine was not a good one, all of the other DK2 demos work real nice for me but for some reason DCS is real jittery. I turned all the graphics detail to low, I'm running on I5 2500K with 2 GTX 760's, I haven't tried turning off SLI but thats the next thing on my list. Even if it was smooth, its hard to make out the details in the cockpit such as the dials and knobs which makes playing it as a simulator damn near impossible. I know this sounds negative but the Rift is definitely cool. I played elite dangerous in it which worked fine for me and it was the shit! The asteroids had mass and being able to track enemies was awesome. (I don't have trackir) It definitely felt really cool. If you are on the fence on getting one I would wait for the CV1 because the DK2 does have its problems. The resolution is low so everything is a bit blurry so you can't really see things that are far. It does get a bit uncomfortable after a while, having it on your head. Trying to figure out how to open programs is a pain. You really should only get one if you are a developer, I just couldn't wait because I was so excited about VR and I still am but I don't think its quite there yet but it will be. I am loving DCS but I don't want to shell out 150 for TrackIR after I just bought the rift. Its been a while since I've checked out the sim scene, thank God it is still alive and kicking! So much more information these days, it was damn near impossible to land the F-16 in falcon 4.0 when I was 16 with no resources with no patches. If you want to know more about DK2 just hit me up!

I have no experience with the DK1 but I got my DK2 about a week ago. It took me a while to figure out how to get it working with DCS but I did. It depends on your system because a lot of people have different experiences. Mine was not a good one, all of the other DK2 demos work real nice for me but for some reason DCS is real jittery. I turned all the graphics detail to low, I'm running on I5 2500K with 2 GTX 760's, I haven't tried turning off SLI but thats the next thing on my list. Even if it was smooth, its hard to make out the details in the cockpit such as the dials and knobs which makes playing it as a simulator damn near impossible. I know this sounds negative but the Rift is definitely cool. I played elite dangerous in it which worked fine for me and it was the shit! The asteroids had mass and being able to track enemies was awesome. (I don't have trackir) It definitely felt really cool. If you are on the fence on getting one I would wait for the CV1 because the DK2 does have its problems. The resolution is low so everything is a bit blurry so you can't really see things that are far. It does get a bit uncomfortable after a while, having it on your head. Trying to figure out how to open programs is a pain. You really should only get one if you are a developer, I just couldn't wait because I was so excited about VR and I still am but I don't think its quite there yet but it will be. I am loving DCS but I don't want to shell out 150 for TrackIR after I just bought the rift. Its been a while since I've checked out the sim scene, thank God it is still alive and kicking! So much more information these days, it was damn near impossible to land the F-16 in falcon 4.0 when I was 16 with no resources with no patches. If you want to know more about DK2 just hit me up!

Can you please share the steps to get it working?

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, GTX 1080ti, Oculus Rift S

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.

We really need Edge. With anything other than low graphics settings I get below 75 fps which creates high persistence (blurriness). I have a GTX 770 4GB and this current engine is just not taking advantage of it. Still a lot of fun though, even on low settings. I can spot other aircraft when dogfighting pretty easily.

Until ED get the frame rate up in DCS no VR product, DK2 or CV1, will be a pleasant experience.

We'll have to wait and see if they make that a priority. The base engine is showing its age and EDGE won't solve that.

One of the biggest reasons for the new engine is for improved frame rates. This will help a lot in meeting comfortable performance requirements.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I liked my eMagin Z800 until the right eye started getting a big black dead band encroaching on the picture from one side. Early low-life-span OLEDs. Emagin didn't take care of their customers, unfortunately. I think the holy grail of VR for this stuff is 1080/60 per eye stereo with good headtracking using internal and external methods cross referenced.

X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick

Holy grail is wide FOV (and high Rez of course), previous consumer HMDs had quite narrow FOV: 32-45 degrees.

Unfortunately high FOV is also a root of evil - simulator sickness. With low FOV we can forgive much higher latency and other perceptual bugs.

I'm guessing the AMD Black Screen issues may be Driver+DX9 related.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'll be receiving my DK2 tomorrow and it's a real bummer that I wont be able to load up DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7Ghz | 980ti | 32gb Ram | Windows 10 64 bit | 840 Pro SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog | VKB Gunfighter Pro | Slaw Device RX Viper | Acer Predator X34

Okay guys, here´s my experience with DK2 and DCS:

1. Nausea, nausea, nausea. Especially when leveling off from a steep dive or hard turn. Guess I´m not pilot-material :-( btw: i had nausea as soon as I side-strafed in the tuscany demo so it´s really probably me.

2. Blurry: Since the resolution is so low you cannot read any instruments (digital / analogue) whatever. This makes it hard to concentrate on a point inside your cockpit other than keeping on starring out of the window all of the time.

3. Graphics: Only setting for me that runs 75fps stable without any dips in v-sync is minimum graphic settings (or nearly minimum). This in combination with the resolution makes DCS world look like FS98 somehow.

4. immersion: Yes, you are sitting in the cockpit, you turn around you see knobs and dials in 3D which is really nice. However some of the su25t gauges seem to be 2D which disturbs the immersion a little. Actually you get a much (!) better orientation for distance / altitude and speed. since you look constantly out of the window you become very aware of your position in the area you´re flying in. For an example when you fly around an airport you have a good feeling of distance and direction of where things are. I used track-ir for a long time on a single 30" monitor and before on a triple screen setup. Believe me: Track-ir is not even close to the inside-cockpit-sitting-feeling that OR provides.

5. wife: "Is this the way we sit in front of things in the future?" "yes." funny side note: she tried to grab the flight stick, when she looked down in the virtual cockpit.

6. after playing 3 hours with the rift I had (marginal) difficulties to focus on my real desk and monitor text.

In conclusion:

I believe that much of the nausea comes from the bad resolution and graphics quality. If only things were sharper and maybe even with a higher frames per seconds... Oh well.

However I can see that the rift is like using 2 viewports. so the 1080p of the rift is much more work for your cpu / gpu than the normal 1080p of your single-screen-monitor. so if you think of a 4k-rift, one would need a badass computer.

kind regards

boris

9900k, 2080TI, 64GB, ssd, valve index, Thrustmaster on virpil, virpil cm2 throttle, tpr pedals, mfd.

I wonder if you can use the Resolution Hack tool to change super sample the rendered image and have it downsized to the Rift's res.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Hi guys I just got my DK2 today and I cant seem to make it work. I downloaded the runtime and SDk and the demoes work, but when I start dcs and enter a mission it acts like the rift isnt there. I have the auto detect on. How do I fix this? I have one HDMI and 2 DVI ports on my GPU. I have the hdmi plugged into the montiro and and rift through an adapter into the gpu dvi port.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Weed Be gone Needed

I wonder if you can use the Resolution Hack tool to change super sample the rendered image and have it downsized to the Rift's res.

That might help with some moire and shimmering, but would have little benefit beyond that.

The main issue with that is that you'll be rendering orders of magnitude more pixels. No chance of proper performance.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Okay guys, here´s my experience with DK2 and DCS:

1. Nausea, nausea, nausea. Especially when leveling off from a steep dive or hard turn. Guess I´m not pilot-material :-( btw: i had nausea as soon as I side-strafed in the tuscany demo so it´s really probably me.

2. Blurry: Since the resolution is so low you cannot read any instruments (digital / analogue) whatever. This makes it hard to concentrate on a point inside your cockpit other than keeping on starring out of the window all of the time.

3. Graphics: Only setting for me that runs 75fps stable without any dips in v-sync is minimum graphic settings (or nearly minimum). This in combination with the resolution makes DCS world look like FS98 somehow.

4. immersion: Yes, you are sitting in the cockpit, you turn around you see knobs and dials in 3D which is really nice. However some of the su25t gauges seem to be 2D which disturbs the immersion a little. Actually you get a much (!) better orientation for distance / altitude and speed. since you look constantly out of the window you become very aware of your position in the area you´re flying in. For an example when you fly around an airport you have a good feeling of distance and direction of where things are. I used track-ir for a long time on a single 30" monitor and before on a triple screen setup. Believe me: Track-ir is not even close to the inside-cockpit-sitting-feeling that OR provides.

5. wife: "Is this the way we sit in front of things in the future?" "yes." funny side note: she tried to grab the flight stick, when she looked down in the virtual cockpit.

6. after playing 3 hours with the rift I had (marginal) difficulties to focus on my real desk and monitor text.

In conclusion:

I believe that much of the nausea comes from the bad resolution and graphics quality. If only things were sharper and maybe even with a higher frames per seconds... Oh well.

However I can see that the rift is like using 2 viewports. so the 1080p of the rift is much more work for your cpu / gpu than the normal 1080p of your single-screen-monitor. so if you think of a 4k-rift, one would need a badass computer.

kind regards

boris

AFAIK the motion sickness is something that goes away with time. Play a few hours at a time and you should start getting used to it eventually.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Just flew DCS for the first time with the Oculus Rift 2.

The Good..

Huge immersion and potential. The feel of flight is fantastic, and the depth perception makes it much easier to land the aircraft. Positional tracking 6DOF is very good. The 3D is also very good.

The not so good

As we all know the current resolution is simply not good enough, which makes the terrain, gauges blurry. That said you can see enough of some of the gauges to have a good idea what they are reading.

I'm still adjusting but it appears the FOV isn't good enough either, but that could be due to my wide 74 IPD. The consumer version will have to have a physical IPD adjustment otherwise the Oculus will be useless as far as I'm concerned.

Definitely noticed the screen door effect in the demos. The higher resolution CV1 display should address the screen door, blurry terrain, and cockpit problems.

Some nausea but that could be a factor of my wide IPD as well as the blurry resolution.

Ver .4.1 is out, it says it fixes amd's Opengl issue. Not sure if this is the cause of dcs's blackscreen problem. Getting my DK2 later today will try it.

Change Log

https://developer.oculusvr.com/?action=hist

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog | VKB Gunfighter Pro | Slaw Device RX Viper | Acer Predator X34

Ver .4.1 is out, it says it fixes amd's Opengl issue. Not sure if this is the cause of dcs's blackscreen problem. Getting my DK2 later today will try it.

Change Log

https://developer.oculusvr.com/?action=hist

I think dcs will have to be recompiled with the new SDK for these changes to take effect.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Oh, didn't realize that you needed to sign in to see the log.

Oculus SDK

Added “Pause Service...” option to the Configuration Utility, which temporarily releases DK2 sensor, allowing 0.3.x SDK applications to run.

Added Mac OS support. Mac does not currently include a display driver, so it always works in Extend Desktop mode.

Added ovr_InitializeRenderingShim function that can be used to hook rendering, needed Direct to HMD Mode, without spinning up the rest of LibOVR.

Removed SSE4.1 requirement that was problematic for some older AMD CPUs.

Fixed OpenGL support on AMD cards in direct mode.

Resolved Blue Screen that happened starting some demos with some video adapters.

Fixed Blue Screen or boot-up Black screen issued caused by interaction with Display Link. Display link is are still incompatible with Direct Mode.

Improved OpenGL support in the driver shim.

I think dcs will have to be recompiled with the new SDK for these changes to take effect.

I don't think it's a dcs issue that is making only AMD users have a blackscreen. Sounds more like a driver problem.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone able to get the multiplayer client working with the DK2?

works fine for me singleplayer, but crashes before it even gets to the login screen on multiplayer...

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone able to get the multiplayer client working with the DK2?

works fine for me singleplayer, but crashes before it even gets to the login screen on multiplayer...

What type of crash? do you have any logs or debug/crash reports to submit, Im pretty sure devs would be interested in seeing them if they are generated.