Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NVM problem solved. I had a USB extension hub plugged in ad for some reason my setup doesnt like it. Unplugged it and we're golden! Thankfully my mobo has a LOT of USB ports...

So to confirm the progress and to be clear, do you have SLI GTX980's running with DCS and the DK2? How is the judder? What are your graphic settings?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Oculus rift and DCS world resolution

Hello:)

I wonder if it's possible to change résolution of the game above 1920/1200?

Because with the Oculus Rift running a game like Star conflict,resolution switching to 2688/1512 is really amazing.

This kind of accuracy could be useful for cockpit instruments.

see you next:)

DCS will support up to at least 4k resolution. You can manually edit that field in the options screen. How that will work with the Rift in DCS, is possibly a different question.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm not sure if you can up the res with the current rift implementation. I know the monitor lua for example is ignored when in rift mode. With the current frame rate issues it might be hard to achieve 75fps when super sampling.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

So to confirm the progress and to be clear, do you have SLI GTX980's running with DCS and the DK2? How is the judder? What are your graphic settings?

Hi Derek

I only had one card in at the time, though SLI had worked before I had the USB problem (which in any case I am starting to think is a defective mobo issue anyway). However, I have got SLI working but have no idea how to check my frame rate inside the rift. I did try to get MSI Afternburner running with it but I just got the damn black screen again.

SLI made the game look incredibly smooth, but now I have smoothness, nausea has come back so I need to re-acquire VR legs. There MAY be latency, I am not sure - it looks pretty similar whether using one or two cards, though with one I get more judder I assume to do with frame rate. As stated though all settings are at maximum and that was with a 4.2-4.3GHZ CPU overclock.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

PRODIGAL WOMBAT STIMULATOR

Hello, i was wondering if any one who has had experience using the oculus rift dk2 with dcs would recommend using it, and what the draw backs/advantages are?

Hey! I bought a DK2 a couple of weeks ago to try out in DCS and a few other things.

The technology is absolutely fantastic. The head tracking is fantastic without a doubt and I'm glad I had the oppurtunity to try it (and made a profit in the resale) but in retrospect I wouldn't buy a DK2 only for DCS...

My greatest experience was flying the Huey low and fast or in the hover... It seemed to work fairly well. But for other aircraft I had difficulty with stuttering in the pit. It seemed the cockpit stuttered on a different schedule to the world outside stuttering - and I have a decent rig I'm not sure it was lack of horsepower causing it. I think the P51 was the worst for this nauseating effect.

If you'd like the DK2 to try out all the tech demos available and just to try out the kit then by all means you'll enjoy it - but if it's mainly for DCS I doubt you will keep it for more than a few weeks (especially with the bidding war for the gear on ebay)

Happy I got to try it - waiting on a release with a decent screen though...

Hi Derek

I only had one card in at the time, though SLI had worked before I had the USB problem (which in any case I am starting to think is a defective mobo issue anyway). However, I have got SLI working but have no idea how to check my frame rate inside the rift. I did try to get MSI Afternburner running with it but I just got the damn black screen again.

SLI made the game look incredibly smooth, but now I have smoothness, nausea has come back so I need to re-acquire VR legs. There MAY be latency, I am not sure - it looks pretty similar whether using one or two cards, though with one I get more judder I assume to do with frame rate. As stated though all settings are at maximum and that was with a 4.2-4.3GHZ CPU overclock.

Ok - so it seems as if the SLI is still a bit unpredictable, which is understandable. I run one GTX780 with all of the graphics to lowest and average frame rates ~60-100, but the slight judder is still evident. I use Fraps to check my framerates and recommend it.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Ok - so it seems as if the SLI is still a bit unpredictable, which is understandable. I run one GTX780 with all of the graphics to lowest and average frame rates ~60-100, but the slight judder is still evident. I use Fraps to check my framerates and recommend it.

GTX780 Classified (Non-Ti)

I run everything on high and mirrors and runs at 60 most of the time. Maybe you could push a bit harder on the eye candy =p especially when EDGE comes out!

Compared to my old HD7970 which struggled to push 30fps at medium and took massive stutter fits...

where are you? i am in new york, would you demo your dcs rift?

I'm afraid it's sold - plus I'm an entire ocean apart from you my friend...

Some advice from anyone if possible please.

Got myself a new Nvidia 970 G1, runs DCS exceptionally well. Now when I put my DK2 on with the 4.2(?) runtime, the oculus is detected, I can load a mission up and it auto switches to my oculus when the mission loads.

The only problem I have is when I go to hit fly, nothing happens, everything is static. No response to joystick movement etc. Tried an editor mission starting in the air and I get the same response. I can hit escape and go back to the mission editor no problem.

Using Nvidia latest drivers as well.

Oh and for some unknown reason I cannot update via the updater, so looks like a full install is needed :( .. I would love to get the OR thing fixed before I went down that route.

Cheers

“Any pilot should be flying the spitfire, at least once.” – John S. Blyth

Some advice from anyone if possible please.

Got myself a new Nvidia 970 G1, runs DCS exceptionally well. Now when I put my DK2 on with the 4.2(?) runtime, the oculus is detected, I can load a mission up and it auto switches to my oculus when the mission loads.

The only problem I have is when I go to hit fly, nothing happens, everything is static. No response to joystick movement etc. Tried an editor mission starting in the air and I get the same response. I can hit escape and go back to the mission editor no problem.

Using Nvidia latest drivers as well.

Oh and for some unknown reason I cannot update via the updater, so looks like a full install is needed :( .. I would love to get the OR thing fixed before I went down that route.

Cheers

In order for the mouse to work in the rift you must set it to primary. Alternatively press pause break key to launch the mission (but your mouse won't work in cockpit).

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I understand that. But what is happening is that nothing is moving in game, blades are not spinning, engines are not running etc etc, also get no sound at all. I do see my cross hair in game.

Thanks

Despite pressing pause/break key?

Yeah mate...

The OR does actually work, I can move my head around etc and it tracks no problem at all, the view from 5000 feet inside an A10 is amazing, just no movement at all :(

The funny thing is, if I view a AI pilot, it all works well on the OR. I can swap cameras etc.

Yeah mate...

The OR does actually work, I can move my head around etc and it tracks no problem at all, the view from 5000 feet inside an A10 is amazing, just no movement at all :(

The funny thing is, if I view a AI pilot, it all works well on the OR. I can swap cameras etc.

Got it working..

For some strange reason I now have to press pause twice before it allows me full control..

Man I love flying the huey through the city at Batumi.. Now all we need is a virtual aerobatics display with everyone using the OR flying the hawk :)

To those getting frame rate judder, if you haven't already and have the cooling / guts / experience to do so, try an overclock on your CPU. I was absolutely stunned at the difference in smoothness it makes, and in fact it wasn't my SLI 980's at all giving me the nice frame rate - it was the 4.3GHz I was getting at the time with my 5820K.

The moment I went back to stock settings, but SLI (or even one card only for that matter), the judder was back. DCS is a true flight sim I guess, only has eyes for clock speed :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

PRODIGAL WOMBAT STIMULATOR

I swear to god...3 months later and still no fix for the DK2+AMD Card=black screen bug. What's the deal Eagle Dynamics? Fix yo shit...it's annoying watching all these people with Nvidia cards have all the fun and not being able to do crap.

Since the Rift is not even a production product, the fact that there is any support at all, is just a bonus from ED, IMHO.

Edited by cichlidfan

To those getting frame rate judder, if you haven't already and have the cooling / guts / experience to do so, try an overclock on your CPU. I was absolutely stunned at the difference in smoothness it makes, and in fact it wasn't my SLI 980's at all giving me the nice frame rate - it was the 4.3GHz I was getting at the time with my 5820K.

The moment I went back to stock settings, but SLI (or even one card only for that matter), the judder was back. DCS is a true flight sim I guess, only has eyes for clock speed :)

Cook - Where did you learn more about overclocking? Thx!

Asus Rampage V X99 | Win 7 x64 | i7 5930 @ 3.5 GHz | 32GB RAM | Nvidia GTX780ti | Logitech G940 | Oculus Rift DK2