Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Since the Rift is not even a production product, the fact that there is any support at all, is just a bonus from ED, IMHO.

On the contrary, all it would take is a little clarification post from Eagle Dynamics explaining WHY their game seemingly doesn't work with AMD Cards and the Oculus Rift, since I have yet to have this problem with literally every other game I've tried. That's all I'm asking for. Just acknowledge the bug, explain what's going on and tell us it's going to be fixed before release of CV1, and that'll be that.

Instead we get stone silence and rumors that they don't even have a DK2 to play around with, hence why no post explaining the problem. Meanwhile, the CV1 launch is months away and getting closer with no word on 'official' support of even the new features of the DK2 over the DK1. Hell, even War Thunder's Gaijin at least acknowledged that there was a problem with the DK2 and is attempting to fix them.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi battguano and EddieJames

Its all a bit cockeyed because I ran DCS at first with a 4.3 OC. It was super smooth, and I assumed it was because of my SLI cards. However I took the OC off for one reason or another and put the chip back to stock (BIG 1.0GHz step down on a 5820K) and even with the two 980's in there, JUDDER. The CPU makes a massive difference, at least it seemed to for me. Does your OC help battguano? I have read on flight sim sites that same clock speeds on different chips don't always translate - so 4.5 on one chip may not give the same results as 4.5 on another. All I know is DCS was silky smooth at full settings in the rift, with only the most barely perceptible judder.

EddieJames - mainly from guides online. For X99 there is an ASUS ROG guide, as well as the ASUS boards have auto overclocking features. Veteran OC'ers will sneer at the software clocks, but if you are a noob to it, it may be a way in. Usual caveats apply, get good cooling, make sure you know what something does before you change it, you really can do damage quite easily.

There are a ton of guides over on the overclock.net forums, intel ones here http://www.overclock.net/f/5/intel-cpus . TechPowerUp forums are great and really friendly, look for an awesome guy called Cadaveca (CA-Dave-CA :D ).

Edited by CookPassBabtridge

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

PRODIGAL WOMBAT STIMULATOR

On the contrary, all it would take is a little clarification post from Eagle Dynamics explaining WHY their game seemingly doesn't work with AMD Cards and the Oculus Rift, since I have yet to have this problem with literally every other game I've tried. That's all I'm asking for. Just acknowledge the bug, explain what's going on and tell us it's going to be fixed before release of CV1, and that'll be that.

Instead we get stone silence and rumors that they don't even have a DK2 to play around with, hence why no post explaining the problem. Meanwhile, the CV1 launch is months away and getting closer with no word on 'official' support of even the new features of the DK2 over the DK1. Hell, even War Thunder's Gaijin at least acknowledged that there was a problem with the DK2 and is attempting to fix them.

But figuring out *why* would take time. It takes time to debug things. It's bad enough when you're working with production/GA products, but to do it with a prototype is another thing altogether. I get that folks with AMD cards and DK2 are upset. But *EVERY* Rift owner acknowledged the "this is for developers only..." message when ordering it.

I'm sure that by the time CV1 is out, things will have been sorted out by the devs.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I took Cook's advice and jumped into the BIOS and see it's at a 42 multiplier. I don't want to push more, so I left it as it is. It's my opinion that more development effort is needed eventually, but since the DK2 is still in its own development stage, it's on us to do our part to share ideas like Cook has. I'm considering a CPU transplant or a whole new box, but that will be when time allows. The Judder isn't so bad that it's a deal breaker for me.

I'll use this post to ask about the F86: Is it screwed up? Other planes fly fine, but the F86 has terrible response to controller input as if something is fundamentally fubar. The controller are setup properly, but the plane just doesn't fly like it should without trimming it out like mad with the mechanical trims on the stick.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

As stated some post ago with a I7 3770k o.c. to 4.6mhz and a single gtx970 full maxed out no judder at all , with a identical machine and a gtx970 sli and i7 clocked at 4.2mhz lot of judder pushing it to the 4.5 barrier o.c. judder disappear...... so as staded since the first version dcs is cpu based not gpu. For my madness I've also tried oculus with the first machine and gtx 660 sli stock version, the result is similar little or no judder even with full activated, the only difference is with Mig21bis but only on ground in crowed missions, lot of judder but when you fly in sky all judder are gone.... but it's a mig module problem.....

Oculus fps with 970 single card 72 to 129 fps

Oculus fps with 970 sli 99 to 146 fps

Oculus fps with 660 sli 64 to 110 fps

Without oculus in 1920x1080 with every module, in any situation no Less than 89 fps....

Without oculus at 5780x1080 trimonitor setup costant 79 fps.

Mistery of dcs engine.....

I have an i7 3770k and sli 970's and no judder. I dont buy that you have to overclock the system to get rid of judder. Is the OR being set as the primary display on both these rigs? If not does one of them have a primary display thats doing only 60 Hz? If so thats a recipe for massive judder as was my situation.

I have an i7 3770k and sli 970's and no judder. I dont buy that you have to overclock the system to get rid of judder. Is the OR being set as the primary display on both these rigs? If not does one of them have a primary display thats doing only 60 Hz? If so thats a recipe for massive judder as was my situation.

Which mirroring software do you? To make the Rift the primary, I mean. Or do you already have a 75Hz capable monitor?

thnx

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You do it in the display settings in the control panel after setting up the OR to work in extended mode. It will appear as a second monitor which you then make primary. I do not have a monitor that does 75 Hz and I can experience the judder first hand if I leave it as primary and run DCS. Word of caution, the menus suck to navigate in the OR. Someone told me the lowest two resolutions work pretty well for it though I have not personally tried yet.

Edited by xaoslaad

I have absolutely no judder at all now.

I5 2500K @ 4.4, brand new Nvidia 970 G1 @ 1500/1800 (core/mem).

Resolution is set at 1440 using DSR within the Nvidia control panel.

Within DCS I have everything at high except water which is low. Trees are down at 2000mtrs, shadows are 50, preload is 40,000.

I have my rift set as extended to my main monitor which is a 120Hz monitor. All I have to do now, is open up a mission and it swaps from my main screen to the rift automatically. To close the mission down, I come back to my main monitor and right click close the dcs icon on the task bar, and it auto swaps back to the main options on my main monitor.

TBH, I never thought it would work this well, only weird thing is IO have to press pause twice to be able to take control while using the rift.

“Any pilot should be flying the spitfire, at least once.” – John S. Blyth

Nope. 75Hz main. No difference whether rift as primary or not.

No one said you have to overclock to get rid of judder, only that at full settings it helped. Are you running at full settings? If yes, congratulations.

Edited by CookPassBabtridge

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

I have absolutely no judder at all now.

I5 2500K @ 4.4, brand new Nvidia 970 G1 @ 1500/1800 (core/mem).

Resolution is set at 1440 using DSR within the Nvidia control panel.

Within DCS I have everything at high except water which is low. Trees are down at 2000mtrs, shadows are 50, preload is 40,000.

I have my rift set as extended to my main monitor which is a 120Hz monitor. All I have to do now, is open up a mission and it swaps from my main screen to the rift automatically. To close the mission down, I come back to my main monitor and right click close the dcs icon on the task bar, and it auto swaps back to the main options on my main monitor.

TBH, I never thought it would work this well, only weird thing is IO have to press pause twice to be able to take control while using the rift.

Excellent news. Isn't it mind blowing with everything up full :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

You do it in the display settings in the control panel after setting up the OR to work in extended mode. It will appear as a second monitor which you then make primary. I do not have a monitor that does 75 Hz and I can experience the judder first hand if I leave it as primary and run DCS. Word of caution, the menus suck to navigate in the OR. Someone told me the lowest two resolutions work pretty well for it though I have not personally tried yet.

Thanks. I guess I can do that as well. I may take a look at some mirroring apps so make the navigation of menus easier!

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

extended mode.

leave monitor as primary.

launch dcs

nav through menu, ex > instant action > f15 intercept.

game should load into dk2. from here this will depend on your DCS setup on what needs to be done.

1a if dcs is full screen. > now make dk2 primary monitor.

1b if dcs is windowed mode > click fly move on.

Now if only we could get this to run in app mode...

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

BTW, do you guys leave AA option checked or unchecked when using Rift?

thnx,

HSB

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i hope dcs world 2 will surface soon and bring multicrew multiplayer. i think the world of multiplayer will get extremely exciting with upcoming tandem seat helicopters attack helicopters (i.e. cobra, hind) doorgunners for uh1 & mi8 (i hope belsimtek will make dedicated axis assignments for the minigun/doorguns that would be separate from the camera view assignments) and of course if there is a multicrew WW aircraft (i.e. blemhiem, PE-2)

when i was new to flight sim, i was blown away be the original il2/trackir videos when a copilot gunner would blast at enemies while his pilot manuevers him to position.

BUT TO DO THIS IN VR would be beyond AMAZING!

i wish this will be true, and i can not stress enough separating the weapon from the camera view, super immersion killer to have a gun stuck on your face, i want to be able to look at my six while aiming the the door gun to fire port side or forward...

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

I've been testing the Rift enabler add-on for Prepar3D (http://www.dcoc-vr.com/). It has an option to choose between Asynchronous and Synchronous timewarp.

Asynchronous is the default when you install it, and it's judder free no matter how low the fps are (in exchange to other glitches, of course, but they are more tolerable).

If you switch to synchronous timewarp, there it is, the same judder that we have in DCS.

So, take note ED, the magic word is Asynchronous timewarp.

(...or may be no, who knows :noexpression:)

Oculus Rift Tracking

Hi - I've got a strange problem with my OR: the positional head tracking is 90 degrees to actual - i.e. left/right moves the head forwards backwards. Directional works fine.

This only started a few days ago and is the same no matter which module. Every other game/demo works fine.

Have I screwed something up somewhere?

cheers

Joe