Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Direct to rift

Just curious if there is any way to get it working, or If ED has said anything about integrating the newer SDK

[*] Improved Oculus Rift support

Also, I recall seeing a presentation where someone would reveal an intent that DCS is to become a sort of a showcase of VR possibilities within a flight sim. Some HTC presentation perhaps? I don'te remember. Anyway, the continuous transition between seated and parachuting positions of pilots in recent DCS modules along with pretty good animations should give you a hint.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well with all honesty that statement is beyond vague. Would be nice to know more details and what possibilities their are that they will support The Vive... and also if we will get proper in game downsampling aka Elite Dangerous and UI improvements??

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Well with all honesty that statement is beyond vague. Would be nice to know more details and what possibilities their are that they will support The Vive... and also if we will get proper in game downsampling aka Elite Dangerous and UI improvements??

The way I look at it is details may always come later while this was the first time someone has said anything about acknowledged commitment towards VR. You know, instead of 'We have one VR wacko on our team and we let him fiddle with the code a bit in his private hours. It lets him relax.'

If I recall right, there is an avid DCS fan on the Oculus development team, and DCS has been working with Oculus for sometime especially during DCS development of their new EDGE graphic engine.

I doubt very much that Valve has been working with DCS, as Valve has just recently started working with game software developers.

Xplane, WarThunder, and DCS have been working with Oculus. No word yet if any flight sims are working with Vive. That could come at some point, but I'd be surprised if it happened before Vive releases at the end of this year. If in fact Vive does manage to deliver on time. We all know how that usually works out.

Here are some interesting posts from Palmer Luckey founder of Oculus on HMD hardware, software compatibility. We will probably have to look closely on what hardware runs the software we want to run before buying.

[–]palmerluckeyFounder, Oculus VR 31 points32 points33 points 4 days ago (33 children)

There is going to be software that is exclusive to the Rift, some of our first party content especially. We have been spending time and money on software for our system for years now, it is not "best for VR" for us to spend those finite resources compromising around lowest common denominator feature sets in an attempt to support all headsets.

Other companies will do the same, creating and funding content that is designed around the strengths of their particular system. Most software developers will end up supporting all available headsets to some degree, but you can bet on VR hardware companies (headset, input, capture, and otherwise) funding development of things that show off the cutting edge - expect that to accelerate as things like eye tracking, body tracking, emotional state sensing, and other technologies start to become part of VR hardware, and accelerate further as competition drives people in different directions. It is hard for any dev (especially bigger, slower moving devs) to spend their own resources on new technologies before they are proven out, and that is true even for the relatively limited VR tech that exists today.

P.S. The Rift is not closed.

It is not just about headset/hardware features, it is about software support as well - different VR companies are taking very different approaches to rendering, as just one example, and some techniques won't easily port over to other sets of hardware/software/SDK/etc. Even when it can be done to high enough quality, taking resources off other projects to integrate and maintain support for all kinds of other hardware is often hard to justify, especially when you can't control future changes/updates/restrictions to that hardware. That can turn into a massive nightmare with huge downside and little upside, and once you commit to supporting a customer, you are on the hook to support them forever. That is not a political decision, it is a business decision driven by technical realities.

Also keep in mind that apparent feature support is not a good way to measure if a title "should" be on other hardware. It is normal for games and applications to have update cycles stretching far beyond release, and sometimes those updates are driven by specific technology rollouts of both hardware and software. Committing to supporting all hardware at launch because the launch featureset is capable of doing so can make for a difficult situation further into the update cycle - do you put resources into updating for new features that only one company provides and piss off customers who bought your software to use on other hardware? Do you split development of your game into multiple parallel tracks and support new features from every company? Do you stick with the lowest common denominator, or just call it a day and move on to the next project? The equation gets harder and harder with each additional set of hardware to support, and while many (probably most) developers will try to solve it, some are going to want to take some development risk off and make a bet on supporting something to the best of their abilities.

There are going to be very good reasons for some people to focus on a single platform, and everyone is going to win in the long run for it. For a good example of what can happen when devs support every platform vs a single platform, just look at crossplatform console/PC/mobile games VS dedicated PC titles, single-console titles, and dedicated mobile titles. Developers can manage to pull off a great game that translates well across everything, but the very best software for any platform is usually the software targeting it directly.

I don't expect this to have any effect until DCS has been updated. As it removes Directx 10 support along with the previously announced deprecation of Directx 9 I think we will need to wait for dcs world 2 to see the changes.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Debating If I want to get a DK2 just to help out with that... Then keep it as a backup for Consumer Verwion.

I doubt the Consumer gets a higher resolution due to the restriction of the HDCP->MIPI conversion chip,

The 1440p MIPI conversion chip is still very rare, and 4K is prolly a year+ away.

Unless OR and others dump the Mobile Phone use or remove the HDMI->MIPi requirement.

1440p would be the peak if they hope to release anytime soon. And that would require new.screen controller daughter board and fster MIPI chip capable of 1440p*@75Hz.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The latest rift being demoed by oculus has two screens. So has the HTC vive. With nvidia working on VR sli drivers things are looking hopeful for higher than expected resolution.

Oh and thanks for the update Wags. Really looking forward to dcs world 2

Edit: Wags can you tell us is the status of timewarp and direct mode in dcs 2?

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

The latest rift being demoed by oculus has two screens. So has the HTC vive. With nvidia working on VR sli drivers things are looking hopeful for higher than expected resolution.

?

Makes sense, dual screens if better than dividing one.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Makes sense, dual screens if better than dividing one.

Plus you double the bandwith with two cables

Debating If I want to get a DK2 just to help out with that... Then keep it as a backup for Consumer Verwion.

I doubt the Consumer gets a higher resolution due to the restriction of the HDCP->MIPI conversion chip,

The 1440p MIPI conversion chip is still very rare, and 4K is prolly a year+ away.

Unless OR and others dump the Mobile Phone use or remove the HDMI->MIPi requirement.

1440p would be the peak if they hope to release anytime soon. And that would require new.screen controller daughter board and fster MIPI chip capable of 1440p*@75Hz.

I have the DK2, but would never recommend it, as the resolution isn't near good enough. The consumer version will probably have two displays like the Crescent Bay, and will quite likely be higher resolution custom displays built especially for VR now that Oculus has partnered with Samsung, and helped them develop the tech required for their GearVR Samsung headset.

Dk2 has enough resolution, and with dcs 2.0 having the gui squared away it will be a much better experience. Plus I imagine down sampling will be doable in dcs 2.0 so another plus their.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

You guys really need to get over the whole resolution thing. Currently everything is very operational aka Flying and operating in an A10c with the DK2. Maybe me being in the military its second nature for me to adapt and overcome obstacles. Take some time and retrain yourselves and honestly you will notice you fly more tactically and more realistically rather than using the uber zoom and such with a 2d screen.

Dont let these guys swade you into not getting an DK2 its your money and i was having a hard time last month when i bought mine on weather i should or should not get one. Very glad i did. If you have the hardware you can push things in this sim to make it very operational with the DK2. At least with my experiences. The resolution will come someday but not anytime soon. The Cv1 will be a great upgrade and very much operational in Dcs world 2.0 when it comes out.

*and* the thing that some may miss is the incredible immersion that comes with DK2. When you fly with your head turned back to track your gun run, while flying is an incredible feeling. If you say "TrackIR can do that" well...it can't. Your brain knows you're cheating by rotating your head a little bit, but your eyes are facing forward. In DK2, it happens like in real life. It's hard to describe, but you also "feel" the altitude and speed. It more than makes up for the OK-but-not-yet-great resolution part.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

*and* the thing that some may miss is the incredible immersion that comes with DK2. When you fly with your head turned back to track your gun run, while flying is an incredible feeling. If you say "TrackIR can do that" well...it can't. Your brain knows you're cheating by rotating your head a little bit, but your eyes are facing forward. In DK2, it happens like in real life. It's hard to describe, but you also "feel" the altitude and speed. It more than makes up for the OK-but-not-yet-great resolution part.

hsb

Amen

The emersion is great, and some people might find the DK2 resolution works good enough for them, but I don't, and much better headsets/optimized for CV1 software/drivers will be available by the end of this year, or early next year. Once people see the new headsets, most people will forget about their DK2, and buy a new one. If you want a DK2 now, by all means buy one, but you will be spending another three hundred dollars in less than a year for the consumer version.