Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

I just tested a DK2.

My feedback is: I will never buy such device. I will never use such device even if it will be for free. The sickness that produced to me was too much more painfull I ever thought.

Lol sucks to be you. I assume you get motion sickness easily and can't bear to fly in a real aircraft? Vr will not be for everybody.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tested a DK2.

My feedback is: I will never buy such device. I will never use such device even if it will be for free. The sickness that produced to me was too much more painfull I ever thought.

Good thing you never tried DK1. :megalol: But yeah, that does suck for you.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

Vr for sure will not be for everyone and I am extremly happy with that. Regarding my motion sicknes, I don't know what to say , but had no problems while flying light acrobacy as pasanger in real life. This device however produced me discomfort even when i just put them on my head.k

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Vr for sure will not be for everyone and I am extremly happy with that. Regarding my motion sicknes, I don't know what to say , but had no problems while flying light acrobacy as pasanger in real life. This device however produced me discomfort even when i just put them on my head.k

Weird I would make sure you have the ipd adjusted for you and try both sets of lenses. Also make sure it's running at 75fps. When I had sli on and stuff wasn't working properly it was definately sickening. It's definately not plug and play stage yet.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

I think it's Nate Mitchell at Oculus has said many times that he gets very bad VR sickness. The latest 90Hz models at oculus have reportedly cured that for him.

What did you try in the rift? Dcs is far from the best experience unless on a top end pc, at least for now. I do get a bit queasy if I spend extended periods in dcs (>1hour). I am certain that my issue is all tied to frame rate and pixel density though. Smoother running titles cause me no issues. VR sickness and motion sickness are not the same thing although they feel similar. I'm looking forward to dcs world 2 and hopefully frame rate improvements.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Weird I would make sure you have the ipd adjusted for you and try both sets of lenses. Also make sure it's running at 75fps. When I had sli on and stuff wasn't working properly it was definately sickening. It's definately not plug and play stage yet.
The bound has been made. He should not try the DK2 anymore.

--

It's Brendan Iribe who says that he could not stand earlier versions of the Rift. Why he co-founded Oculus then? Strange.

I would agree that the DK2 is not a solution that will work for everyone. I don't get motion sick but I sometimes I do experience eye strain.

Would be interested to know techniques for avoiding eye strain.

probably been covered in the last ~400 pages, but reading it all would take for ever.

One youtuber who tested DCS A10C with DK2 stated that the resolution was to low to comfortably read dials and HUD, is this something that will be resolved for commercial release?

I REALLY want to fly with a Oculus, just the descriptions of the feeling of actually sitting in a cockpit would be worth it.

But i imagine it will have to wait untill the pricepoint of the Oculus + hardware comes down, which hopefully will be around the time i need a new computer anyways.

probably been covered in the last ~400 pages, but reading it all would take for ever.

One youtuber who tested DCS A10C with DK2 stated that the resolution was to low to comfortably read dials and HUD, is this something that will be resolved for commercial release?

I REALLY want to fly with a Oculus, just the descriptions of the feeling of actually sitting in a cockpit would be worth it.

But i imagine it will have to wait untill the pricepoint of the Oculus + hardware comes down, which hopefully will be around the time i need a new computer anyways.

Time will only tell. Assumptions tell us that yes the cv1 should be perfectly usable for numerous reasons one being higher resolution with two screens. One per eye makes a huge difference. I wouldn't expect prices to be at the 350 mark....

The consumer version will be much better than the Crescent Bay prototype, just as the Crescent Bay is much better than the DK2. The pricepoint of the initial consumer version will be relatively low, between 200, and 400 dollars, with the developer suggesting they will try to sell the Oculus at cost. Vive has suggested their hardware will be more expensive, but include an input device, that flight simmers won't require. No word yet if Vive will be supported by any flight sims. That said its way to early to make a decision on which headset to buy.

The bigger question and probably one that will cost us much more money, is the computer system required to run VR effectively. Hopefully the VR hardware/software, and CPU/GPU drivers/software can be optimized enough to not require very expensive Titan etc parts .

the GPU side is somewhat concerning, don't know my current frames but when people are talking about 75+ fps to make it run smooth, i don't know if i've ever had a computer capable of running a game at 75 fps, not a recent one anyway.

Worst case scenario, throwing money at the Oculus Rift people on release will be akin to lighting it on fire, much better to simply wait patiently to see if it works and if people experience everything from eye pain and nausea to strokes or Sudden And Unexpected Combustion™® of the face, or it turns out to be a CIA\Evil Corporation\Bond villain (insert your tin-foil flavor as appropriate) conspiracy to brainwash a large group of people at once.

DCS and the Oculus Rift

Hi All

New here and hope to become a regular visitor,thing is before I purchase/try DCS there are a couple of things I would like to know,(the answers are probably scattered all over the forums so its easier to just ask them here).

-Do I need the version on steam to make my oculus rift work,or can I use the version that been offered on this site. (I prefer the version on this site,installing steam gives me the feeling its taking over my PC.....(I know but its personal :music_whistling:)

-I have a AMD card are the issues concerning AMD cards and the oculus rift resolved ?

Thanks for your help

Marvel

:pilotfly:

I know the ED version of DCSW has an "Autodetect Occulus Rift" checkbox in the options menu, so I imagine the capabilities are identical to the Steam version.

Actually, I can't imagine that the capabilities between versions differ at all; the only change would be the update mechanism (and the fact that Steam no longer accepts ED's serial numbers, but that's a service issue).

EDIT: looks like the issue is OBE given the AMD incompatibility.

Some people are prone to favor one headset, or another for various reasons, sometimes irrationally, but I doubt many people will blindly throw their money at Vive, Sony, or Oculus etc. without checking the VR specs, system requirements, and the available software.

Guest deeplodokus

not sure if this is the right thread, but... has anyone tried DCS with google cardboard? i tried this and while it works, the focus was really bad and it was really painful for the eyes in cockpit; it looks pretty cool with outside view though

i found this that, if i understand well, would fix the problem, but i couldn't get this to work

anyone else has tried this?

thanks!

Sharp just unvieled a 4k phone display w/ 800 ppi

Compared to 400~ of DK2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Sharp just unvieled a 4k phone display w/ 800 ppi

Compared to 400~ of DK2

I don't see the benefit of a 4K phone, but like you suggest it will definitely benefit future VR headsets, when systems are improved and optimized enough to push them.

I'm really curious about what Samsung is cooking for Oculus now that they are partners (I hope they are cooking something specific). It's been a long time since they told anything new about the Rift. All they talk about now is that GearVR thing :/ I'm tired of hearing about it.

Sharps display will be mass produced by 2016.

There seems to be a workaround for AMD and thr DCS black screen issue, though the reddit poster is blaming ED, Im pretty sure its an AMD issue.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I'm really curious about what Samsung is cooking for Oculus now that they are partners (I hope they are cooking something specific). It's been a long time since they told anything new about the Rift. All they talk about now is that GearVR thing :/ I'm tired of hearing about it.

Yes, the Samsung partnership should be a win/win for both parties. Samsung gets Oculus technology for their smartphone VR headset, and Oculus gets customs displays for their PC VR headset. Hopefully Oculus at some point will get dual curved high DPI, potentially high FOV displays.

Samsung Gets Google's bank account :) nothing like an extra 33 Billion to help develop :)

Samsung Gets Google's bank account :) nothing like an extra 33 Billion to help develop :)

Where does Google come into the picture with Samsung and FB/Oculus?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Err, Meant to type facebook, lol... I was googling the forbes info and ended up typing google.

OCULUS RIFT DK2 BIGGER HUD

Hey guys just found this AWESOME:pilotfly:

i coulnd not read the hud in my dk2 now i found to change the hud so you can read it

Go to:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts\HUD\Indicator\HUD_definitions.lua

if you want it for other plane or heli just go under aircraft and instead of a-10c pick your plane/heli

then open with notepad then in :

Line 5#

you find this

new_K = 73.5 --44

edit the 73.5 to 34 and you can read the HUD like a god :thumbup: the line should then look like this:

new_K = 34 --44

if you want it bigger just make the 34 smaler lets say 28.....

thx to PeterP

• Like 1

Oculus Rift DK2 F15C + KA-50/A10C is AWASOME :pilotfly: