Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

I wouldn't say the problem is fixed if you have to resort to doing all what you have done. I also don't see how "stopping the OC Service and killing all OC stuff in task manager" would make a difference to the Rift working or not. Also, what do you mean when you say make sure the OB is clean? Do you mean Oculus Beta?

Edit: I just tried what you did and at times I still get crashes when mission is loading. So for me this still isn't fixed. I think ED need to at-least recognize there is a problem by confirming this in the Crash Bug section of 1.5.

That's the point of the beta. Hope you reported it on the beta thread (or added to the existing crash reports)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the point of the beta. Hope you reported it on the beta thread (or added to the existing crash reports)

What do you mean by that's the point of the beta? I did report it, but have no idea what you mean when you say: "That's the point of a beta." I know what the point of a beta is, it's to test bugs and report them which is what I have done. Unfortunately, though, ED haven't yet stated it's a bug like they have done with others, so everyone's left wondering if it's something to do with their settings. That's why people are trying all sorts of different stuff like reinstalling this that and the other. I've tried hitting my machine with a hammer, but that didn't work either.

The point is you can't fix something if this has something to do with Eagle Dynamics code, but with no word who knows?

With the latest DCS updates, can you now read the gauges using DK2? The Hud? Is the zoom fixed? (Biggest issue with DK2 in DCS was the lack of zoom....head tracking works but you can't get close enough to read the HUD).

Also, what DK2 runtime version is everyone using with DCS? is it safe to continue using the .5 beta drivers on DK2 with DCS? Or did everyone have to upgrade to .6 or .7? Elite:Dangerous doesn't work with .7 and they say they don't plan to fix it! Trying to find a version that's lowest common denominator for all my games is getting to be a challenge.

With the latest DCS updates, can you now read the gauges using DK2? The Hud? Is the zoom fixed? (Biggest issue with DK2 in DCS was the lack of zoom....head tracking works but you can't get close enough to read the HUD).

Also, what DK2 runtime version is everyone using with DCS? is it safe to continue using the .5 beta drivers on DK2 with DCS? Or did everyone have to upgrade to .6 or .7? Elite:Dangerous doesn't work with .7 and they say they don't plan to fix it! Trying to find a version that's lowest common denominator for all my games is getting to be a challenge.

Head tracking in the Rift = Zoom. You cant get close to the digital readings in the HUD even outside of the Rift. There is a mod you can use to make readings in the HUD bigger, but this is a beta and it's not advised to use mods in 1.5. This makes crashing and trying to find bugs more difficult.

for me all problems are fixed:

uninstall OC runtime

uninstall NVIDIA drivers

clean up System (CCleaner)

make sure dcs OB is clean

install OC runtime

before reinstall NVIDIA drivers: Stop OC Service, kill all OC stuff in task manager

set NVIDIA controlpanel to global-> Performance

run dcs still in vista sp2 mode and vsync off

game all day long :)

OC runtime=Oculus Runtime?

All gauges are more readable than before. The hud is legible if you lean in a bit or can be made to show larger characters with a mod if needed. As for zoom being "fixed" - No and in my view it shouldn't be. What's the point of going to all the trouble of direct mode and higher FPS to reduce latency and sim sickness only to ruin it and make everybody nauseous with a zoom button!

1.5 uses .7 and Frontier Have said they are 100% committed to supporting the rift in elite dangerous.

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

1.5 uses .7 and Frontier Have said they are 100% committed to supporting the rift in elite dangerous.

Are you saying 0.7 works with Elite Dangerous? Because as far as I know it doesn't. Lets hope they are committed to supporting Rift still because I won't be buying Horizons until they implement 0.7 or the latest runtime. I'm getting fed up of buying game that claim to support Oculus and then as soon as a new Runtime arrives they abandon it until next year and CV1.

...I still get crashes when mission is loading...

I don't remember who posted it or where it was posted, but it has been suggested that you disable your internet connection before running DCS. That's been working pretty well for me as a way to avoid the crashes. Plus, I just discovered that once you've got the program running, you can then re-enable your internet connection and log in, and then you're back in business. I hope it works well for you and others too.

New Gamma has made a massive difference on the rift. Great job:thumbup:

Is the New Gamma adjustable? If so, where? Other than there being a massive visual difference, which I don't seem to be able to see, is there any other indicator that tells you whether or not the New Gamma is on?

Are you saying 0.7 works with Elite Dangerous? Because as far as I know it doesn't. Lets hope they are committed to supporting Rift still because I won't be buying Horizons until they implement 0.7 or the latest runtime. I'm getting fed up of buying game that claim to support Oculus and then as soon as a new Runtime arrives they abandon it until next year and CV1.

I think Elite Dangerous is for a different thread.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is the New Gamma adjustable? If so, where? Other than there being a massive visual difference, which I don't seem to be able to see, is there any other indicator that tells you whether or not the New Gamma is on?

not adjustable as far as I know. in regards to the difference it's a lot more colourful and gives more depth.

if you have updated which takes about 5 mins your know it's different straight away

Edited by =DECOY=

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

FYI - via PM to Wags

There has been few comments in the DK2 Rift thread where people have said that DCS 1.5 must NOT be using Async Timewarp because motion is not perfectly smooth when the framerate drops below 150fps (75fps per eye).

I think DCS 1.5 Beta does use Async Timewarp but maybe people have unrealistic expectations about what it can do. Still I don't know for sure I was hoping a confirmation from ED could settle some questions in the VR thread.

Yes, it is enabled, In 0.7, it is always enabled.

We are currently working on improving stability and lessen judder.

Thanks

Zooming in the Oculus Rift

Hey guys,

I know there has been some previous discussion on the Oculus Rift DK2 in DCS, and even some pertaining to my question, but I wanted to see if there was anyone who knows different, or if maybe things have recently changed.

When using the DK2, is there anyway to use the normal "zoom in/out" function. Currently I have it bound to the "friction wheel" slider on my TM Hotas, and was hoping it would work once I actually receive my headset. I feel like if there was some way to zoom in and look at distant objects outside the pit, it would be much more viable in game. Anyone have any thoughts or input on zoom and the rift in here? Or maybe a work around so I can compensate for the apparent poor object detail at distance....I would really like to get to the point where I can adequately spot and engage targets in MP. :)...or maybe even without traditional zoom its still possible?

If not I guess I will just get used to Track IR (still waiting on the trackhat clip before I really start to use it)....

Thanks

-CoverNow

rjetster1,

• Edit your post to include your system specs so we can advise for your situation
  • What modules do you want to play? Some modules are notoriously hard on your system and will be harder to render in VR
  • Turn EVERYTHING in DCS settings to LOW. AA OFF, shadows OFF. If you still get judder, there is no helping you. You must get 150fps all the time with everything set to low/off before you even consider turning anything up higher.

Hi Gents,

I have DCS 1.5 running pretty good with oculus, other than the juddering… what DCS/PC settings are most of you running for the best experience? Trying to find the sweet spot.

Thanks,

-Rick

Yeah, Specs would be good. Also, do you just want it set for free flight or with ai? I ask this because Obviously ai will reduce your fps by quite a bit.

FYI - via PM to Wags

Thanks, good info. If it's enabled by default in 0.7 then that means that all demos and games that are 0.7 compatible have async time warp but some of those games don't run any better than they did in 0.6 so I imagine that just because it's enabled by default doesn't mean that it's really being utilized until the dev chooses to utilize it. I imagine that's what they're working on now. We might see an 80% fps boost once it's fully implemented as I saw for myself in FlyInside FSX.

This (picture link below) setting gives me 75*2 (150) FPS. My specs are:

I7-4790K, SSD, 16GB RAM, GTX980. I'm testing it by flying the Huey on the free flight mission. I'm still trying to dial it in further.

https://app.box.com/s/wb354b3ur65c7f3mliv746w6byonl2ao

hsb

wb354b3ur65c7f3mliv746w6byonl2ao

Edited by hansangb
added the link

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

This (picture link below) setting gives me 75*2 (150) FPS. My specs are:

I7-4790K, SSD, 16GB RAM, GTX980. I'm testing it by flying the Huey on the free flight mission. I'm still trying to dial it in further.

https://app.box.com/s/wb354b3ur65c7f3mliv746w6byonl2ao

hsb

wb354b3ur65c7f3mliv746w6byonl2ao

That MSAA is a killer at 4x I'd set this to 2. The Civ traffic is another killer and needs to be turned off, as does Depth of field and and Lens effect. Turn them off and also disable Aero. The rest of the setting are okay. These settings are for ai included.

Why have you un-ticked Full screen?

That MSAA is a killer at 4x I'd set this to 2. The Civ traffic is another killer and needs to be turned off, as does Depth of field and and Lens effect. Turn them off and also disable Aero.

Why have you un-ticked Full screen?

I'm getting 150 pretty much all the time, but I will test with MSAA at 2. Lens effect didn't seem to have too much impact when I was testing. Water did bring down my FPS though. I must have turned off the full screen and never set it back. With DK2, I don't know if it'll make any difference, but will test and report back.

Thanks

hsb

Edited by hansangb
of -> have

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I'm getting 150 pretty much all the time, but I will test with MSAA at 2. Lens effect didn't seem to have too much impact when I was testing. Water did bring down my FPS though. I must of turned off the full screen and never set it back. With DK2, I don't know if it'll make any difference, but will test and report back.

Thanks

hsb

What are your specs? The setting I have given are the best for fps especially with ai added to the mix. I spent a couple of hours testing all these settings, but most people will tell you what I have listed are the fps killers.

We might see an 80% fps boost once it's fully implemented as I saw for myself in FlyInside FSX.

JaySmiz, Timewarp is already implemented or Wags would not have said so. It's already in DCS 1.5 BETA.

You can see the words Time and Warp in the following files if you have a look.

C:\... Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders\PostEffects\oculus.fx

C:\... Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders\PostEffects\oculusMesh.fx

80% increase in framerate from Timewarp optimisation ... you are an optimistic person, which is not a bad thing

Edited by vicx

Thanks, good info. If it's enabled by default in 0.7 then that means that all demos and games that are 0.7 compatible have async time warp but some of those games don't run any better than they did in 0.6 so I imagine that just because it's enabled by default doesn't mean that it's really being utilized until the dev chooses to utilize it. I imagine that's what they're working on now. We might see an 80% fps boost once it's fully implemented as I saw for myself in FlyInside FSX.

I have Flyinside FSX and version 0.7 isn't stutter free like you are saying. In-fact, it stutters more for me in FSX then it does in DCS 1.5 once I go below 65 FPS. That CPU you have isn't that great running at 3.5 Ghz. I know that's hard to imagine, but when I lose my overclock of 4.1 Ghz on my i7 930, boy do I see a difference with judder. Dropping down to 2.8 Ghz and lossing my overclock gives me terrible judder, so it could well be that i3 3.5Ghz causing it.

What are your specs? The setting I have given are the best for fps especially with ai added to the mix. I spent a couple of hours testing all these settings, but most people will tell you what I have listed are the fps killers.

It was in my OP, but it ended up in smaller font. Oh, and I do have Warthog+MFDs, puls MFG rudders.

Good point on the AI part. After I dial it in more, I'll try a dogfight.

"I7-4790K, SSD, 16GB RAM, GTX980. I'm testing it by flying the Huey on the free flight mission. I'm still trying to dial it in further."

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I have Flyinside FSX and version 0.7 isn't stutter free like you are saying. In-fact, it stutters more for me in FSX then it does in DCS 1.5 once I go below 65 FPS. That CPU you have isn't that great running at 3.5 Ghz. I know that's hard to imagine, but when I lose my overclock of 4.1 Ghz on my i7 930, boy do I see a difference with judder. Dropping down to 2.8 Ghz and lossing my overclock gives me terrible judder, so it could well be that i3 3.5Ghz causing it.

I don't believe I said it was stutter free, in fact it's far from that because it's a terribly optimized engine. FlyInside provides two FPS numbers: one for the actual FPS and one for time warp assisted FPS. On my PC the time warp assisted FPS only drops below 75 when the actual FPS dips below 40. That's where I got my 80% boost number (75 is an 87% increase over 40).

My CPU of 3.4 ghz shouldn't be that much of a factor on a properly optimized engine but unfortunately DCS 1.5 still needs much improvement in this area.