Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

JaySmiz, Timewarp is already implemented or Wags would not have said so. It's already in DCS 1.5 BETA.

You can see the words Time and Warp in the following files if you have a look.

C:\... Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders\PostEffects\oculus.fx

C:\... Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders\PostEffects\oculusMesh.fx

80% increase in framerate from Timewarp optimisation ... you are an optimistic person, which is not a bad thing, and I hope you are right.

Yeah, I know, I acknowledged that it was in the same post you quoted me in. I just said that I was guessing that it hadn't been "fully implemented" yet because we should see much larger FPS gains than we're seeing now I would assume based on my limited experience with time warp in FlyInside FSX.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Head tracking in the Rift = Zoom. You cant get close to the digital readings in the HUD even outside of the Rift. There is a mod you can use to make readings in the HUD bigger, but this is a beta and it's not advised to use mods in 1.5. This makes crashing and trying to find bugs more difficult.

I found when I was using the TrackIR it was still very useful to control zoom on an axis, so that I could set where my eyepoint was being tracked from. So if I'm just en route, I'd have the entire panel in view which game me good situational awareness for navigation. If I needed to use the HUD I would zoom in a bit so the HUD became legible. If I need to evade I would zoom out all the way so I could scan for things like SAM launches.

I've heard this response that "zoom isn't broken on the Rift, just move your head closer." Well even with a TrackIR that would mean leaning REALLY far forward unless I configure that TIR axis to be really strange. Being able to assign a zoom axis to a control remedied all of this, and quite effectively in my case.

So I guess I don't see why it would be such a "frowned-upon" addition for Rift users. It seems like it would be really useful, especially while the VR hardware evolves, because zooming helps to overcome the legibility issues we VR users often encounter.

As an aside, leaning all the way to where my headset is actually touching the tracking sensor and I still can't read the HUD.

All gauges are more readable than before. The hud is legible if you lean in a bit or can be made to show larger characters with a mod if needed. As for zoom being "fixed" - No and in my view it shouldn't be. What's the point of going to all the trouble of direct mode and higher FPS to reduce latency and sim sickness only to ruin it and make everybody nauseous with a zoom button!

1.5 uses .7 and Frontier Have said they are 100% committed to supporting the rift in elite dangerous.

This is OT but I wanted to respond to your comment so you knew...atm Frontier has no plans to support 0.7. I've rolled back to 0.5 due to major graphics degradation in E : D with 0.6. So, for now anyway, if you play E : D you have to roll back to 0.6 or 0.5 depending on what works best. But 0.7 will cause E : D to throw an error and crash.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=188839

This was one reason for my post...I'm wondering if I can keep 0.5 and still take advantage of the advances for DK2 support in DCS, or if DCS requires 0.6 or 0.7. Basically just need to know if I need to swap drivers when I go from one game to another.

That and the whole zoom thing.

Edited by Smoky

@ Smokey Now I know what zoom you mean you mean the zoom with the keys. I thought you meant the one with Trackir. I think that other guy might have a point regarding sickness, but if it's the only way you are going to see what's on your HUD then I wouldn't be opposed to it. I just use the bigger HUD mod and uninstall it when there;s an update. This allows me to make out the reading on the HUD, but it's still not great.

@ JaySmizzle - lets hope they can improve it some more. The only thing I want improving most right now thought is the damn crashes on mission loading screen. This is the most frustrating thing I'm finding and I just hope there's a fix coming for it soon. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to re-boot my Pc just to get a game in the Rift.

The only thing I want improving most right now thought is the damn crashes on mission loading screen...

Have you tried disabling your internet connection and skipping the logon until the screen that has the free flight button comes up? At that point, you would re-enable your internet connection and then log on.

Since I started doing all that, I haven't had one crash...:thumbup:

since the new patch for OR, great work! i can finally see the HUD! amazing.. cannot wait now for CV...

Which patch are you referring to? Is it from Oculus, or is it from DCS? Can you provide a link?

Edited by gtrdrt

Which patch are you referring to? Is it from Oculus, or is it from War Thunder? Can you provide a link?

Just running DK2 with latest update(0.7) and enabling detect OR at start up. when 1.5 was released the colour was washed out and now after the patch its near perfect. Only some stuttering issues; which im sure will go away with either lowering setting from ultra to low or more improvement from ED, but going from barely playable to what it is now, is great.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

@ will - Some of digits in the HUD are still unreadable. Well they are for me and there's nothing wrong with my sight.

Yes , but thats just because low rez in dv2 , CV1 should be better :thumbup:

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

any of you guys apply supersampling via the graphics card/driver?

I gave it a go but I'm not sure it works in DCS. I say this because I set it on the highest setting and it had no impact on my FPS at all. Normally the highest resolution settings would have some impact on my fps, but it had no impact at all. This leads me to believe it isn't working in DSC, but if I'm wrong someone feel free to correct me, I'd certainly like to know if it is working.

I have a question. Does anyone know a way to turn off the DCS that shows up on the computer monitor while you are in the Rift? Surely this can't help fsp with this running at the same time at the Rift screen. In demos you normally get the option to turn it off if you have performance issues, so anyone know how to turn this one off?

• ED Team

It should be much more stable in Update 3. I just ran 12 missions back to back without a crash.

The other big item we still need to resolve is the judder. Note that the judder is actually caused by timewarp. More precisely, it actually works only in orientation timewarp, but we have started experiments with positional timewarp by exporting the depth buffer to the Oculus runtime. Without this far distance, pixels are blended incorrectly in between two frames and this appears as image doubling.

• Like 1

Wow - I just had my first ride since the update and it's wow. So nice! I need more computing power, but it's really nice. A true sense of speed, immersion and "realism". Good work, ED!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

when is 3.1 being released.

thanks

I'm so looking forward to 3.1 been released and an end to the high crash rate.

It's not "3.1" It's just Update 3. Wags started a new sentence after 3 so it looks like 3.1. Just to end the confusion which will surely come from this. :music_whistling:

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

A message to Wags if they are reading this. I'm just wondering if there is way that would allow you to move the crosshair back and fourth in the Rift? At the moment it's stationary even when you lean forwards. I was thinking maybe using he mouse wheel to give you a back and fourth movement? Not sure this can be done though, so I'm just asking if you read this.

Personally I am having great success and fun with Oculus and DCS… it seems to be very stable and very playable at the moment. Visually it is stunning and literally puts you in a different world, particularly when you add a headset… it’s so immersive and real that you have a difficult time coming back to reality. Is it perfect, of course not… I do get slight judders and reading the dials is a little challenging but has improved which make things much more enjoyable thanks to settings advice from forum members on this thread. As of right now its free flight only with the L 39 and a few other aircraft, but I am very satisfied with that. Takeoffs and landings are a blast! I had a chance to see a closed door Oculus demonstration from Nvidia recently and could not believe my eyes how perfect it looked. I can only imagine and be extremely excited where this is all going in the next few years. For all of you that are having issues, be patient, this world is changing rapidly in a positive direction.

It should be much more stable in Update 3. I just ran 12 missions back to back without a crash.

The other big item we still need to resolve is the judder. Note that the judder is actually caused by timewarp. More precisely, it actually works only in orientation timewarp, but we have started experiments with positional timewarp by exporting the depth buffer to the Oculus runtime. Without this far distance, pixels are blended incorrectly in between two frames and this appears as image doubling.

i just recently read an article by epic games, im wondering if "instant stereo rendering" is possible in the DCS engine, where epic gives the concept of Instead of having all of your meshes that you’re rendering and submitting them to the GPU twice – once for the left eye and once for the right – this time it just submits them all at once and just draws a copy on the right-hand side with slightly different transforms from the perspective of an eye that’s 6 1/2cm, or whatever it is, across. That makes a lot of the rendering stuff a lot faster.”

http://vrfocus.com/archives/23546/epic-games-bullet-train-runs-at-a-solid-90-fps-much-higher-than-1080p/

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179