Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

@wormeaten- I don't think people are bitching, I think people are just suggesting what they think should be added to the Rift to make it a better experience. You don't need to start using other software like open track before making a suggestion.

I like what they have done with the rift so far, but I was looking for something that will allow me to read the A10C CDU a bit better. I think a zoom function or a limited zoom function would allow me to do that kust like it does on a 2D monitor if Im not using a snap view, but for some reason they have left out the zoom on the Rift. I'm going to test the snap view though and see if I can get by using that for now.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just got my Rift working in DCS, and I have to say I'm blown away by it, even with the settings on low and not been able to read anything.

One thing that I'm sure has been brought up already is the size of the cockpit, it's almost like a mini version, my knees are where the pedals would be if it was real, everything looks tiny.

It's very promising though, I have a Playseat and the TM HOTAS, but there's not much need for anything else. It's gonna put cockpit builders out of business!

I'm using an ageing GeForce GTX 670, what would you guys replace it with?

I've just got my Rift working in DCS, and I have to say I'm blown away by it, even with the settings on low and not been able to read anything.

One thing that I'm sure has been brought up already is the size of the cockpit, it's almost like a mini version, my knees are where the pedals would be if it was real, everything looks tiny.

It's very promising though, I have a Playseat and the TM HOTAS, but there's not much need for anything else. It's gonna put cockpit builders out of business!

I'm using an ageing GeForce GTX 670, what would you guys replace it with?

In this case, you did something very very wrong. Just go for 1.5 and 0.7 runtime. I can read everything, scalefactor of cockpits seems very real, no problems here :huh:

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

@wormeaten- I don't think people are bitching, I think people are just suggesting what they think should be added to the Rift to make it a better experience. You don't need to start using other software like open track before making a suggestion.

I like what they have done with the rift so far, but I was looking for something that will allow me to read the A10C CDU a bit better. I think a zoom function or a limited zoom function would allow me to do that kust like it does on a 2D monitor if Im not using a snap view, but for some reason they have left out the zoom on the Rift. I'm going to test the snap view though and see if I can get by using that for now.

Exactly with using third part software we could prove the point of such request. Devs don't have time with testing it for our DCS users specific needs.

With such test and proving the point they could get valuable and precise information to do that in Oculus software. Maybe they don't even play DCS at all and don't know our needs for real. So how we could expect them to do if they don't know what we are talking about at all.

We need to show them exactly what we want and why. That is the point they need our help.

Now using Windows 10/Oculus SDK 0.8/Nvidia 980TI 358.70 drivers

It’s getting a little better with each update, able to read the instrument numbers much better. Also feel as if I'm sitting in the proper place in the cockpit.

Let me confirm this. :thumbup:

Your comment made me try again, I wasn't expecting big improvements ... How wrong was I ?

I just had a blast in the SU25T, wow just wow.

Lowres is still a problem to see something in the distance or for some little instruments reading, but it is just impressive, for example, how real the runway looks through the cockpit when taxiing on it.

:pilotfly:

And this, just when I was thinking about reselling my DK2 ... this can wait a bit more I guess :D

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• Combined Arms/Supercarrier/Nevada TTR/Persian Gulf/Normandy
  • F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)
  • WWII : Spitfire/Bf-109 Kurfurst/Fw-190 Dora/P-51D Mustang

• ED Team
I have some problems with the Hotfix #3

My FPS are around 30-37 since the update, at Hotfix#2 I had stady 75 ...

Can anybody help me?

Thans!

In Hotfix 2, the FPS counter was double what it should be. Hotfix 3 shows the correct FPS.

In this case, you did something very very wrong. Just go for 1.5 and 0.7 runtime. I can read everything, scalefactor of cockpits seems very real, no problems here :huh:

I'm using DCS 1.5 and the 0.8 runtime. I just fired up DCS and it went straight to the Rift. I'll try the 0.7 runtime tomorrow and see if there's any difference?

We don't know your HW, so it just may be that you don't have enough HW. But try the free flight first. As soon as you have AI involved, the frame rate drops to 75FPS. Also, go back one or two pages and see the settings that can help with minimizing juddering.

hsb

hi

my hardware is Hp xw8600 with 2 gtx670 sli. i know the motherboard does not support sli, but i am using software that allows it to be sli.

In Hotfix 2, the FPS counter was double what it should be. Hotfix 3 shows the correct FPS.

I have the same with high settings with 32GB, i7 6700k, and two 970's (only using one though since SLI isn't supported...)... SLI will undoubtedly improve much whenever it starts working, but I wonder if the CV1's higher resolution will cut it right back down.... may just have to mess with settings to get better fps.

I have the same with high settings with 32GB, i7 6700k, and two 970's (only using one though since SLI isn't supported...)... SLI will undoubtedly improve much whenever it starts working, but I wonder if the CV1's higher resolution will cut it right back down.... may just have to mess with settings to get better fps.

what do you mean SLI isn't supported?

soooo amazing..

i enjoy watching the through the lens videos... it gives me an idea of how awesome the 3d is!

BTW, i do NOT have oculus rift.

but i notice the user zooming in at certain points while inside the cockpit..

so ppl on the forums complain about not being able to see far targets, and recommended some kind of binocular feature,

IM WONDERING IF THERE CAN BE A TOGGLE BETWEEN ZOOMED AND NATURAL VIEW (so we can facilitate some kind of binocular feature)

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

So with hotfix 3 (latest) the num 5 option to recenter to pilot doesn't work any more. Anyone know if they changed the command to something else?

I have sort of the same issue with the view recenter. I can manually select the KP5 for a recenter, and I can bind the function to one of my sticks...BUT when trying to use it when flying it does not work. The KP5 will do it, but any of the buttons to which I bound the function don't do it.

I put in a ticket and posted it on the bugs subforum, but so far there's nothing from ED. I've also found there are some other anomalous issues with controller functionality that are not present in v1.2 but are in v1.5.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Been playing a bit with VR mode outside of the cockpit.

I'm experimenting with external views that offer cool (Point of View) shots in VR. In VR some of the naval units, ground units and aircraft on the ground seem like they would make really interesting environments to move around. The more I play around with this the more I want to be able to move around a lot more without losing tracking.

I realise the Rift is not ideal for this but I have mine set up high on a tripod looking down so that I have the widest possible tracking space. I can stand up naturally and almost turn 360 and take a step or two in each direction. Just having a taste of this make me very interested to see what the Vive can offer in DCS in this area.

Will post some DK2 videos soon to show what I'm on about.

Some of you having recenter problems. Have you made sure your Num Lock key is on? I tried everything when my Key number 5 didn't work until I realized my Num Lock key wasn't switched on.

JaySmizzle - No idea what you mean by not been able to find a recenter key because it's in the DCS settings for sure.

KP5 works just fine. It's when I try to set the very same function to a button - and it gets mapped properly - it won't work when flying. The workaround is to use a remapper like Xpadder, joytokey or SVmapper, but that's not clean for my tastes.

Another question: Do all of the planes have clickable cockpits or are some not clickable? I have some planes where they are not clickable and others which are :/

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE