Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

KP5 works just fine. It's when I try to set the very same function to a button - and it gets mapped properly - it won't work when flying. The workaround is to use a remapper like Xpadder, joytokey or SVmapper, but that's not clean for my tastes.

Another question: Do all of the planes have clickable cockpits or are some not clickable? I have some planes where they are not clickable and others which are :/

That could be due to some controller or device that is conflicting. I had a Microsoft Sidewinder plugged in at the same time as a Hotas Warthog and I got conflicts. I have to unplug the Side Winder now otherwise my trim won't work on the Hotas Warhog. This is even after deleting the Sidewinders trim setting in DCS settings.

You should try unplugging some Usb devices and see if you reset key works on your device then.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KP5 works just fine. It's when I try to set the very same function to a button - and it gets mapped properly - it won't work when flying. The workaround is to use a remapper like Xpadder, joytokey or SVmapper, but that's not clean for my tastes.

This is covered in a BUG thread in the DCS 1.5 BETA section. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=151041 I haven't tested the reported solution yet.

Hi all,

I've recently tried 1.5 beta again (wasn't working great after launch).

I have to say that I'm impressed! the game looks and runs much better on DK2 than the previous version.

I sometimes get black square flickering in the right eye, but that might be me pressing keyboard or mouse buttons (it's very easy to switch to windows of another app when oculus is in direct mode).

The only thing I should mention is that colors look very washed out compared to the picture on the screen.

This is probably due to DK2 pentile screen.

I'm wondering if DCS guys tried playing with contrast and exposure as CV1 looks like will have crappy pentile screen as well?

I sometimes get black square flickering in the right eye, but that might be me pressing keyboard or mouse buttons (it's very easy to switch to windows of another app when oculus is in direct mode).

That's not just you. I also have a black flickering in just the right side of the Rift. I also thought it was a browser or some other window I had open when I started DCS, but even after closing everything I get it.

You're not alone :thumbup:

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

Thx vicx - I posted my issues there.

Can someone tell me where to find a list of the planes which have a "clickable" cockpit and those that do not? Any help is appreciated!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

REQUEST FOR MY DCS OCULUS OWNERS..

can you guys air refuel in the rift with little effort, some effort, difficult, or impossible?

comments appreciated! :D

video would be nice too!

I'd give it a go, but still am new to setting up missions. Is there a pre-made mission for a/a refueling in either the A10 or F15?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Hi all,

I thought this was just my device playing up and I contacted Oculus support about it. Now I know it's not the Rift, I'll have to let them know about it. What is causing this though? Because people like me might think its a fault with the DK2.

I'd give it a go, but still am new to setting up missions. Is there a pre-made mission for a/a refueling in either the A10 or F15?

not sure, i have to be honest, i dont play DCS much, im am just waiting for the oculus CV1 to be release till i actually fly in DCS.

i cant do the 2d monitor nor trackIR, i have to dive in VR!

i look forward to hearing about your VR air refuel experience!

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Vr air refuel is very easy. You begin to understand how it's really not that big of a deal. Same with formation flying in vr it's just so much more easier with all that depth

same for landings. K-4, FW190 and Mig21 is quite easy to land in VR

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

same for landings. K-4, FW190 and Mig21 is quite easy to land in VR

ok, cool. so basically reading panels/gauges/HUD at seated position (NOT looking up close) AND identifying targets from visual range are the kicker (drawback) to the rift's experience due to resolution.

what does everyone think about the sound in VR? does it feel spatial? (another question to RIFT DCS Users.. ;) )

That's not just you. I also have a black flickering in just the right side of the Rift. I also thought it was a browser or some other window I had open when I started DCS, but even after closing everything I get it.

You're not alone :thumbup:

I'm glad you guys mentioned this. I thought I was the only one and I thought it was a problem with my DK2. I get the flickering in the left eye.

their is no vr sound, if you have a good surround system and a buttkicker it cant get any better unless you have a motion pit

finally, a real perspective about sound in VR. in the past, i asked if there was spatial sound, but noobs kept telling me audio is how it should be and it works as if you turned your head left or right... BUT ITS NOT just left and right, it is also above and behind you.... ( i have tried realspace demo - and you can sense where an object is i.e. a bird or bee flying past you with my eyes closed)

just like how people get amazed about how 3d polygons on shapes (like switches and buttons that stick out in VR) instead of bitmap textures on a flat object.. from vavle / oculus research about sound states that sound also requires special attention.

thank you for sharing, i guess i will find out when i actually used the rift, and thanks for being the first person tell me that sound is not spatial.

I wonder if Eagle Dynamics will incorporate 3d sound such as oculus's realspace 3d sound technology into DCS World...

maybe someone can prove me wrong, by getting into the rift, have a friend or ai in session, fly past you with your eyes close and figure where the friend or ai is coming from... ;)

Edited by hannibal

Oculus has hired quality sound engineers to add headphones too their CV1 HMD, Vive has also suggested they will incorporate headphones into their consumer version aswell. This will certainly help game developer sound engineers when they know exactly how their games will sound, as opposed to having their games sound completely different on hundreds of different quality sound headsets. Of course people will be able to still use their own sound solutions, if they feel it suits them better.

Can someone provide a list of the planes with the clickable cockpits? Some have it and some don't from what I'm seeing. thank you :)

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

Can someone provide a list of the planes with the clickable cockpits? Some have it and some don't from what I'm seeing. thank you :)

The ones I can think of right away:

A-10C

F-86

Mig-15

Mig-21

P-51D

L-39

Hawk

M-2000C (coming soon)

Thank you, Gents *thumbsup*

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

This is a recording I made in DCS VR mode to show how cool it might be to walk around your aircraft.

Vive might work better, but you would still need a lot of room. If you can fit a fighter jet into one of the rooms in your house ... you should be fine.

• Like 1

not sure, i have to be honest, i dont play DCS much, im am just waiting for the oculus CV1 to be release till i actually fly in DCS.

i cant do the 2d monitor nor trackIR, i have to dive in VR!

i look forward to hearing about your VR air refuel experience!

VR Air-Refueling is pretty easy, I had trouble seeing the visual indicators because of the low resolution but once you know where you have to be in formation with the tanker its no problem at all.

Vive might work better, but you would still need a lot of room. If you can fit a fighter jet into one of the rooms in your house ... you should be fine.

This is exactly why I don't get the hype of room scale VR. I don't see that many applications of running around in a relatively small room. I guess we could run on a spot simulating much greater areas, then it wouldn't matter if our VR room is 15x15 or 10x10. We could also fight off Zombies trying to take over World "room" domination. I see they are now experimenting with teleportation from one small area to another small area which should have many applications.

Chivas, I can understand there will be a challenge with roomscale but I think it will be the superior experience. I have learned one thing from trying to simulate roomscale with the DK2; I will only be buying a HMD that has MUCH better tracking than a DK2. The DK2 can only just track a fighter cockpit properly and it can only do about 2.5m-3m straight down the lens. I have made a few recordings now and I have had to use a lot of tricks to get the shots.

Here is a similar video to the last one. I made this one with the AI Chinook. Like I said, I have to move the camera to get these shots because the DK2 doesn't track very well. Still it should give a good idea.

I'm going to upload one more video taken 'Point of View' on the Ticonderoga class ship under attack from some Tu-22M3 anti-ship bombers. It turned out cooler than I exepected. I will probably make another video 'Point of View' on an OHP class vessel in the future.

Also planned is a roomscale demo in the Mi-8. I want to simulate a cargo slingload operation. I want to see if a person in VR can hangout the sidedoor and give directions on the intercom.

Edited by vicx