Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

... And completely break immersion in the process. It's a good solution for some but ultimately I won't be happy until I have proper hand tracking with some basic haptic feedback for switches in the 3D cockpit. Hopefully Oculus can give us some VR gloves at some stage.

This is why I don't want a camera. Leap integration is more in line with what sim folks are wanting - IMHO, of course.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I don't want a camera. Leap integration is more in line with what sim folks are wanting - IMHO, of course.

Well Oculus have the technology since they purchased pebbles last year. Having it implemented in the oculus SDK should make it easier for devs to integrate into DCS as opposed to leap which by all accounts isn't as good as the promo videos would have us believe. We may have to wait for CV2 but it's something we will see in the future.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

This is the best video I've seen so far on the see thru camera/chaperone system, and its much better than some reviewers have suggested. BUT what we are seeing in the YouTube doesn't necessarily correlate with what the person is actually seeing in the VR headset. Although it is closer with the new HMD's with higher resolutions as compared to the YouTube videos with the lower resolution DK2. That said he did have problems getting his hands on his phone at one point.

I'm more interested in the little pic-in-pic camera mode. Shown around 5:50 or so. I didn't even know the world could be projected like that...Predator'ish view.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm more interested in the little pic-in-pic camera mode. Shown around 5:50 or so. I didn't even know the world could be projected like that...Predator'ish view.

He does bring up the camera mode when he can't find his phone.

... And completely break immersion in the process. It's a good solution for some but ultimately I won't be happy until I have proper hand tracking with some basic haptic feedback for switches in the 3D cockpit. Hopefully Oculus can give us some VR gloves at some stage.

Absolutely, but I mean for day 1, this will work perfectly. Until someone brings out some kind of gloves or whatever :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

A little semi-transparent window in a corner showing video feed from the camera wouldn't hard that much and would allow to easily interact with whatever sim hardware people have. As TomOnSteam says, until we have proper hand tracking to interact naturally with virtual cockpit (if that's possible. It can't be fully natural to flip a switch while grabbing nothing but air)

It can't be fully natural to flip a switch while grabbing nothing but air

That's my thinking, too.

What's the point of having hand tracking if there is nothing solid to touch?

Now that is an immersion breaker if you ask me. Might as well use a mouse.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

That's my thinking, too.

What's the point of having hand tracking if there is nothing solid to touch?

Now that is an immersion breaker if you ask me. Might as well use a mouse.

Ideally we'll get hand tracking with haptic feedback. Something like this: http://www.gloveonevr.com

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

hi oculusjunkies

is there a way that i can more look around (180°) without turn my head comlete 180°

because its not so easy , maybe im to old ....:megalol:

like with track ir

No. The tracking is 1:1. If it wasn't it would likely cause nausea.

It's my understanding that the new Oculus will have 360 degree head tracking. The DK2 starts to loose tracking at about 100 degrees l/r from front view (camera placing, etc. affect tracking)

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

hi oculusjunkies

is there a way that i can more look around (180°) without turn my head comlete 180°

like with track ir

Oh no, you don't want that. You will get motion sickness if moments are not one to one.

hi oculusjunkies

like with track ir

I think that would make you very nauseas very quickly. You might be able to get used to it though. I think a better solution would be to use the mirrors in the cockpit :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

It's my understanding that the new Oculus will have 360 degree head tracking. The DK2 starts to loose tracking at about 100 degrees l/r from front view (camera placing, etc. affect tracking)

nope - you have the camera + sensors in the rift

so motiontracking works even if you are outsite the camerarange(view)

and to the motionsicknespoint - im not sure

i played a couple of games

and i had only 2 games where it was a bit of sickness

that was aliens isolation (my first VR game - so my brain had to learn somethink .. :) )

and life for speed

but in all other games no problems

even while framedrops , red-blackout and stuff

and i played a long time with an old ati 5850 grafikcard

so i rly hope that sometimes we have that funktion

i think it will help alot

i also missed that in starconflict - another rly good VR game

Well Elite Dangerous was announced as an official Oculus store title today. Having not worked with any of the latest runtimes since 0.6 and with relative silence from the devs for months it has now been announced that its Oculus VR version will release on March 28th ( standalone version will also get an update). The devs had been under NDA.

This makes me wonder if Eagle Dynamics may also be announced as an Oculus partner. Wags has been very quiet regarding VR updates. Could that be as result of a NDA as well?

nope - you have the camera + sensors in the rift

so motiontracking works even if you are outsite the camerarange(view)

That's not true.

While it is true that most tracking is conducted via IMUs, and the camera is mostly used for drift correction, being outside the camera frustum, or being occluded, does mean you lose overall tracking.

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

The DK2 used camera, and hardware in the headset for full tracking. Tracking in the HMD took over when you looked too far behind, and lost camera tracking, BUT there was some judder when you turned back to the front when the data from the camera kicked back in, and there was a discrepancy between the two positions. BUT none of that matters now as trackers have been added at the back of the headset with their new Constellation system.

For those that have trouble fully turning to check six. Team Fusion is looking at using the hatswitch in CLOD to add a few degrees to our turn. Its an interesting thought, but not sure how well it would work in regards to the nausea question. Some are more susceptible than others. Personally I'm thinking of adding a swivel to my LazyBoy cockpit seat. BUT there are problems for that too if you use rudder pedals. The swivel will need just the right resistance, so that swivel didn't move when using rudder pedals.

I never appreciated how hard it is to check six until I got Rift. I even thought about adding physical bars so I can reach and twist myself. That is, after I stopped trying to grab the VR cockpit! Couldn't help myself. LOL. And we don't even experience the G force!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'd really like to see ED get proper Oculus support...they've been pretty damn quiet about Oculus integration >0800 at iRacing, too...hmmmm...

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

Let's hope it's the NDA as mentioned earlier!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Tracking in the HMD took over when you looked too far behind, and lost camera tracking

That's never been how that works.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's never been how that works.

As far as I remember, the Rift has always had internal tracking, but it was never optimal, as the position would drift. They introduced external camera tracking for a number of reasons, but the Rift still assess data from both the external and internal sources as far as I know.

As far as I remember, the Rift has always had internal tracking, but it was never optimal, as the position would drift. They introduced external camera tracking for a number of reasons, but the Rift still assess data from both the external and internal sources as far as I know.

Yes, that is all correct.

What you said previously, (which is what I quoted), was incorrect. Which is why I quoted it and clarified that it was incorrect.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Id imagine pilots strapped into ejection seats have a much harder time turning to look behind them. Could the answer be to jink the aircraft to give the extra 10~20 degrees needed to see what's behind you.