Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

They won't collect payment until the shipment is made.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully the Canadian dollar has gotten stronger than it was when I ordered the Rift.

except that we are being charged $800 no matter what.

imagine if our dollar went down to 0.50? would you expect them to increase the price of the rift?? all hell would break loose.

they have stated that the initial price is what we pay, they built in to the equation currency fluctuation...

so were stuck paying whatever was listed when we ordered...ouch i know.

its actually about 770$ right now, were about $100 ahead.

and as canadians they wont let us pay in USD which is ****ed...i have paypal full of USD and its literally going to get converted/fee'd and given to oculus. so silly...

Is the quality going to be all it's hyped up to be?

I think everyone would love the answer to that question. We will know when we get them.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

hello:)

For those are interested by the overall quality of rendering by an Oculus Rift,check out this link:

http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/

Will see rendering of DK1 up left ,DK2 up right,CV1 down left,and the future maybe with a 4K screen.

Don't forget to active "low persistence"

I own an Oculus rift DK2 to play DCSWorld,FSX ,Project cars and Dirt Rally,so the quality depend also of software coding by "asynchronous time warp".

This function is very sensitive to avoid some judder.Actually SDk is 0.8,maybe the 1.0 will be better.

Also the Fov choosen by devs counts a lot to get in games more comfort.Sometimes a setup exists in menus sometimes not.

The best is FSX with "Flyinside" addon,so Project cars and DCS world ,and Dirt rally.

Now to know if an Track IR 's owner have to buy Oculus rift? well it depends of what you want to do with your money,i guess:)

Because 500 or 700 in every country is a lot of bucks.

And at the moment we are discussing the screens fitted on all VR helmets are limited in resolution.

Have to wait the future screens in 4k to get something really good and a relative price affordable.

see you next:)

Edited by cromhunt
  • Like 1

anyone else here not impressed by the recently news of the upcoming oculus launch title lineup?

and feel like the only REAL reason that matters for the rift is for cockpit based games such as DCS, assetto corsa project cars?

I KNOW I AM!!! :)

If it wasn't for my interest in flights sims I'd have zero interest in VR. Traditional gaming just isn't my thing. The only game on the launch lineup that they listed which I'll play is elite dangerous. I won't be buying anything else they've listed.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Is the quality going to be all it's hyped up to be?

For me, if I can read the gauges a little better, that would be good. The immersion is so incredible that it's worth every penny. I fully expect the 3rd Rift will hit all the sweet spots, but because of the incredible immersion, I'm willing to pay the early adopter tax.

I know people tout 4K and projection, but you just have to experience your brain being tricked into thinking you're in the air.

Recent video that Dekek posted of the Oculus Chief Scientist nailed it. When you watch a video of someone standing on the edge of the bldg, no one reaches out to steady themselves. But with Rift, they do. That is immersion and it is very apropos to DCS audience.

Finally, I never understand why people want full sim experience except when it comes to identifying targets. That's when everyone touts superman like vision that simulation can bring with zoom and super high resolution. This is the weakest point of VR, but the immersion more than makes up for it. For me, that is. To each his own.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

anyone else here not impressed by the recently news of the upcoming oculus launch title lineup?

and feel like the only REAL reason that matters for the rift is for cockpit based games such as DCS, assetto corsa project cars? ...

i don't care what else OR works with, as long as it works with DCS

lol

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've watched several more videos today, mostly Vive promoting, but some Rift, too.

One thing that kept coming to mind was the fact that everyone is making assumptions about which games the Vive will work well with (or at all). At the moment, they keep getting excited about what to me is 'kiddy stuff'. You know, crappy app-style games and demo's - and virtual tours etc.

Yes, very nice - but not what I would pay this amount for.

Then the jumping around in a 15x15 space, which does not interest me a tiny bit.

The Rift will give me a great experience (if all available info is correct) in all the sims I fly or drive and a few of the games I like, such as ArmA 3, Half Life 2 series, Black Mesa and 7 Days To Die as a minimum.

That's all I care about. Couldn't believe a reviewer called the Vive the "creme de la creme" of the VRs, purely because Valve/Steam are involved and he claims all games in the Steam library will be playable in it - bollox, sunshine! Oh, and we can all trust Steam implicitly, apparently.

Yet he claims that 3 AAA titles will be Vive only (i.e. Rift will be 'locked out') despite all the crying about Rift not being 'open' so we shouldn't buy it.

There's just so much twaddle doing the rounds and the disappointing thing is that a lot of it stems from YouTube channels with a lot of subscribers.

• Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Here are my "must have for VR" picks:

• DCS - this one is a "duh"
  • iRacing - (they're working on proper VR implementation)
  • FSX/P3D - Both work perfectly with VR usinf FlyInside
  • PCARS - Launch Title
  • Phoenix (PCars II) - will get whatever PCARS gets for VR
  • Elite Dangerous - Launch Title It's really a different experience in VR - wow!
  • Dirt Rally - A blast in VR!
  • Live For Speed - the first racing sim to implement VR - it's terrific!
  • OVERLOAD - A Descent redeux and it's slamming!

These are on my "hoping to have" list:

• rFactor/rFactor2 - It's a great racing sim, but since VR is here it's just "yesterday" without VR (to me)
  • Assetto Corsa - A head scratcher - Runs in extended, but that's over, and they were so attentive to get three screens right...odd
  • Atomobilista - a GMotor title like rFactor - they have indicated it will come
  • Race Room - VR has been flaky in that one
  • Dove Tail Games - Let's hope, but they didn't say "yes" when asked about VR

Some FPS Games that would be cool:

• Battlefield
  • Star Wars - the new one
  • Half Life 3 - we can hope, but we'll see Santa in person is more likely
  • Call Of Duty
  • Metro Series
  • Wolfenstein
  • Doom 4 - or whatever the name will be

I wasn't impressed with the Launch title list. Games from the spectator's view are not fully harnessing VR. IT's obvious the influence of Facebook directing the Oculus towards using it as a platform for "viewing" games and watching movies. If that's their direction, I don't see it being a smart move.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Derek - I've already seen Metro 2033 in VR on YT - I am not hugely big on it as is, so I'm hoping it will give me a reason to look again (was a big STALKER fan, though)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

and feel like the only REAL reason that matters for the rift is for cockpit based games such as DCS, assetto corsa project cars?

I KNOW I AM!!! :)

I think that games in VR are something cool to experience because consumer level VR is new and totally different to a monitor, even 3D monitors. But for flight and racing simulations it is a TOOL!

DerekSpeare, Hmmm, Dirty Rally. I remember that. Didn't think of it from a VR angle. Is that on Steam, is that the version you're thinking of? Maybe it'll be an excuse to buy PS4 and the Playstation VR! :) LOL

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm really only interested in VR flight sims, with a passing interest in racing sims. I haven't see any sims that interest me yet with full room tracking, BUT there is a good possibility that VR could turn some of us couch potatoes into svelte human specimens. :thumbup:.

Just preordered the VirZoom, as I was in the market for a new fitness machine, or clothes hanger anyway. It has a small enough footprint to fit into my man cave, and VR might even give me enough incentive to actually use it.

I'm really only interested in VR flight sims, with a passing interest in racing sims. I haven't see any sims that interest me yet with full room tracking, BUT there is a good possibility that VR could turn some of us couch potatoes into svelte human specimens. :thumbup:.

Just preordered the VirZoom, as I was in the market for a new fitness machine, or clothes hanger anyway. It has a small enough footprint to fit into my man cave, and VR might even give me enough incentive to actually use it.

its great that VR is coming.

just like how a person can not truly experience VR unless they have tried it, screenshots dont do justice.

but at the current state of VR and the recent news, im excited for rift and vive for the cockpit based games, also capabilities of the hand controllers.. (i like that arizona sunshine)

as mr boxxmann mentioned, i would like to see a battlefield or call of duty.. but locomotion proves to be an issue (unless that virtuix omin actually works), then fps will be a ways away from being ideally playable..

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Unfortunately not true. Only those people who backed at the $300 DK1 level got a free Rift (+DK1 obviously).

Am I bitter...........maybe !!!!

Ah yes I thought that was a given.

Re: dovetail games in VR. I asked and got an explicit NO regarding VR support.

The one I'm really bummed about is X-Plane 10. I'm a helicopter nut and it has a fantastic helicopter flight model but it's unlikely to ever have VR support due to its cross platform OpenGL coding.

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Ah yes I thought that was a given.

Re: dovetail games in VR. I asked and got an explicit NO regarding VR support.

The one I'm really bummed about is X-Plane 10. I'm a helicopter nut and it has a fantastic helicopter flight model but it's unlikely to ever have VR support due to its cross platform OpenGL coding.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to in DCS VR is flying helecopters. I never really got the hang of them as is, I'm hoping VR will make the difference.

-VorpX = NO for me

-Dirt Rally is on Steam and has native Oculus support

-FPS shooters are a bit of a challenge, but I don't want to have to stand to do it. FPS shooters can and should be a seated experience, and developers are smart. They'll figure it out

-X-Plane - Dan Church may be trying to do it. He hit a grand slam with FlyInside for FSX.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

-VorpX = NO for me

-X-Plane - Dan Church may be trying to do it. He hit a grand slam with FlyInside for FSX.

One major difficulty with xplane is the default render. I purchased a second dev kit and sent it to the dreamfoil creations developer in Brazil. He managed to get sbs stereo 3D and head tracking working but the image just wasn't right. It has something to do with how xplane renders the vanishing point. It would require access to the core engine to get it looking right. Something Fred couldn't do with a plugin. That's before we even consider the issues with OpenGL and direct mode. I think a plugin like flyinside is very unlikely. As much as it pained me to do it I deleted Xplane along with €100s worth of helicopter and scenery add-ons a few months ago. I just couldn't go back to flying on a screen.