Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Yeah, dam. Don't have the standalone installed.

Removed it to free up some space while I used the OpenBeta exclusively with the DK2.

Oh well, only 6 hours to download on my measly 5meg :(

EDIT: Wait, I remembered there's a couple of command line switches I can do! http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Giving that a shot first.

EDIT2: I got it working! YOU CAN READ THE COCKPIT PEOPLE! AAHHHH!!!

The Patch Rolled out for Both Open Beta and Release Builds.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the originator of the Apollo blur I can confirm it exists in DCS. However I am impressed at what they have done... And impressed as to how much of the A10 pit I know without needing the text(!)

It is legible if you lean and do the top of the headset trick. HUD is mostly visible without any tomfoolery and the overall experience is great.

I'm running a 4670k OC at 4.4 and a 980Ti and I am struggling with a little juddering in the sim at Batumi free flight. I'll spend time tweaking and report back - I did drop resolution very low and all the settings to Low or Off though so I am not sure how much more I can do.

As with the DK2 experience... Blown away with the feeling of 'being there'

Right. I'm gonna hop in the F15 and report later!

Good job ED

As the originator of the Apollo blur I can confirm it exists in DCS. However I am impressed at what they have done... And impressed as to how much of the A10 pit I know without needing the text(!)

It is legible if you lean and do the top of the headset trick. HUD is mostly visible without any tomfoolery and the overall experience is great.

I'm running a 4670k OC at 4.4 and a 980Ti and I am struggling with a little juddering in the sim at Batumi free flight. I'll spend time tweaking and report back - I did drop resolution very low and all the settings to Low or Off though so I am not sure how much more I can do.

As with the DK2 experience... Blown away with the feeling of 'being there'

Right. I'm gonna hop in the F15 and report later!

Good job ED

I Seriously think you have a lens problem, as I've been talking with a dozen plus people the last hour and they have entirely different findings in Both DCS and Apollo 11, not to mention iRacing and Elite: Dangerous

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I Seriously think you have a lens problem, as I've been talking with a dozen plus people the last hour and they have entirely different findings in Both DCS and Apollo 11, not to mention iRacing and Elite: Dangerous

This is what I am thinking or the HMD needs to be adjested (I know he reported it was adjusted properly). I posted one CV1 recipient's lens observations which was exactly opposite of this one, and he said it was clearest in the middle.

I'd expect nothing more than perfect out of the box. Anything short of that is an RMA and back to the DK2 until the replacement arrives.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Fantastic job ED! If anyone wants to read more CV1+DCS reports check out reddit:

Edit: Any news about 2.0alpha support?

Edited by wasyl00

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

I am in the middle of a chat with Oculus support about it at the moment. It is evident in every game.

HMD on my face is not the issue. I have had 3 days of usage and it isn't -that- hard to try every possible angle and position on the face.

Now my neck hurts like hell after a Mig-15 vs Sabre battle. I'm going to bed =]

Thanks again ED team! This will be the future of sims!

OK,

I've been lucky enough to have been able to experience DCS with the DK2 for a good while now. I thought I knew what it felt like to enjoy this game inside VR.

I was wrong.

The latest update, with the massive improvement in smoothness it brings, just pushes things to a whole new level. I just spent 30 minutes doing nothing but flying around in the T51, enjoying the sunrise and chuckling to myself.

Incredible experience.

Only problem now is I know the next step is to build a 6DOF motion rig. Better start finding things to make the wife happy...

Cheers,

Smirkza

So...the Oculus is enough to force DCS to think I made "significant hardware changes" to my computer, forcing me to re-activate everything, burning yet ANOTHER activation? What a joke.

Now I'm getting integrity faults on half my activation keys and when I try. Great update so far, real slick.

Done I stay with the rift thanks guys

They didn't really give you great reasons, I mean one guy even simply told you to man up and stick with your decision. So dopey, but anyway...

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

So...the Oculus is enough to force DCS to think I made "significant hardware changes" to my computer, forcing me to re-activate everything, burning yet ANOTHER activation? What a joke.

Now I'm getting integrity faults on half my activation keys and when I try. Great update so far, real slick.

Changing a Display is not enough to force a new Starforce hardware ID.

Lets talk about the other ways it's unplayable:

Sound doesn't come through the Oculus headphones if you have any other sound device attached to your machine. Other Oculus games have no issue with this, they detect you're in the HMD and use that sound device.

When you start in the A-10C, you're seat position is so high, and so far forward, you're out of the cockpit. Oculus global re-orient does not have any effect. Why would the default seat position be setup like I was an 8 foot tall giant?

The main 2D menu is skewed and way off to the right, again, Oculus global re-orient does nothing. In fact, in general, Oculus global re-orient seems to have zero effect on DCS at all.

It's great they got Oculus 1.3 support in, it would be nice if it played nice like other Oculus games do. As it stands right now, I can't use this at all to fly the A-10.

Edited by Brainling

Lets talk about the other ways it's unplayable:

Sound doesn't come through the Oculus headphones if you have any other sound device attached to your machine. Other Oculus games have no issue with this, they detect you're in the HMD and use that sound device.

When you start in the A-10C, you're seat position is so high, and so far forward, you're out of the cockpit. Oculus global re-orient does not have any effect. Why would the default seat position be setup like I was an 8 foot tall giant?

The main 2D menu is skewed and way off to the right, again, Oculus global re-oriented does nothing. In fact, in general, Oculus global re-orient seems to have zero effect on DCS at all.

It's great they got Oculus 1.3 support in, it would be nice if it played nice like other Oculus games do. As it stands right now, I can't use this at all to fly the A-10.

Try numpad 5

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

BoxxMann's "pet" suggestions/wishes for DCS:

1 - menu optimization for VR users

2 - seat adjustment bindable to joysticks, boxes, etc.

3 - binoculators or zoom function

4 - optimization to the various world objects to reduce inefficient rendering

5 - update the frame rate counter to include ATW frame rates

6 - kneeboard function like FlyInside

7 - VR Friendly Radio Menus - This is SOOOOO important!!!

Thank you!

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

I use Joytokey to bind Num+5 to a joystick key. Works perfectly.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

They didn't really give you great reasons, I mean one guy even simply told you to man up and stick with your decision. So dopey, but anyway...

Ok I'll give him some reasons.

Its cheaper if he's primarily a flight simmer, and the parts delays have translated into free shipping. Cancelling his order would also put him at the back of the line for either headset.

If you want room scale VR, you can add it later, as the Touch inputs are likely to be more refined than the Vive wands.

The headset is comfortable and well balance for long periods of use.

The headset includes a decent set of headphones.

The displays and optics appear to be more refined that the Vive in regards to SDE and larger sweetspot. These features should be of paramount interest to flight simmers, where we need to spot distant objects.

The ATW Oculus software appears to be working very well with DCS.

If he doesn't like the Rift, he can sell it for quite abit more than he paid for it, as long as the demand lasts, and it doesn't appear to be ending anytime soon.

All that said, he wouldn't go far wrong by ordering the Vive, as it also appears to be a very good headset, but IMHO the Rift appears to be a little more refined..

edit...only one flight sim developer (flyinside) has talked about the difference between the Rift/Vive, and his thoughts would imply that the Rift would work better for flight sims, and the Vive is the obvious choice for handtracking atleast until the consumer Touch inputs are tested.

Edited by Chivas

Cheapest Rift CV1 Auction I've seen ended well over 1K.

You can do room space now, w/ carefully placed sensor,

whenever they make sensor camera's available separately, 2 will run perfectly fine.