Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going out on a limb here but... I don't think that Valve's HMD has a high enough res. for DCS:World either. It's been a while since Oculus demo'ed their latest and greatest. I'm sure they'll continuously iterate on their prototype. I'd be very surprised if they didn't have something in the pipeline that is significantly better than Crystal Cove (or whatever it's called).

They do _seem_ to be focused more on the mobile side of things these days. Also, they're are trying to come up with a way to interact within VR. Something that Valve already has a solution for...

We'll see. It's good that there's competition because that will spur development of bigger and better things. I just hope it doesn't turn into a platform war. I don't want to be stuck in the "Steam-world" (prefer my DCS to be stand-alone) for sure...

Your right its doubtful the current Valve or Oculus prototypes are good enough for WW2 sims, but time will tell if the consumer versions will be good enough. Ocuulus might have a small advantage considering its partnership with Samsung one of the best display manufacturers in the market.

There is the misconception that Oculus is concentrating on the mobile side, but sources in Oculus have stated that only one in four of their engineers are working on the mobile side. Carmack is basicly working with Samsung engineers to develop their gear VR, in exchange for Samsung display technology for their Oculus headset.

Its a very good thing for us to have Valve in the market, but it shouldn't effect DCS too much. I would imagine we will eventually have the choice of running DCS on a Valve headset as well as the Oculus headset. We'll just have to do our homework on which will do the job better.

Vive hasn't overtaken the Oculus but they have caught up to atleast a six months old Crescent Bay prototype.

Both have dual displays, although the Oculus displays are of a slight higher resolution. Oculus also has arguably the best display manufacturer as a partner.

Both use Persistence tech designed by Valve.

Both have very good positional tracking, with Vive using lasers that can be used to move around in an approx. 15ft area. I currently don't have much interest in walking around blind, and will be quite happy sitting, and using my Hotas. Although I could see using a stationary bike, or rowing machine for fitness, and exploring in VR. I doubt I will ever be interested in walking around blind in a dedicated VR room.

Oculus is currently way ahead in VR specific game/movie software development, and support.

Valve will probably be more expensive, than the Oculus unit, especially if Oculus still plans to sell their unit at cost, and recouping their investment on the software side that they also so heavily invested in.

Valve is hoping to release their headset by the end of the year, and Oculus is still keeping its release date quite.

Hopefully Valve does catch up so that we have two very high quality VR headsets to chose from.

Edited by Chivas

So is it possible for us to get one like how we got an oculus dk2?

No word yet if Valve will release any prototypes to the general public. Developers will probably be the only ones to see Valve hardware until its consumer release.

I agree vive has surpassed oculus. Hopefully oculus will pull their head out of bum and have their prototype reviewed to silent the crowd. Until then vive is more interesting at this juncture. All I really care is dcs world compatibility both on vr hardware front and ED front

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Tbh,

I know guys that have bought cell phones and used the screen w/ new controller boards to build their own headsets with better resolution/per eye than both OR abd HTCs unit.

All they needed was a decent 1:1 tracking system.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

It's certainly going to be an intresting time, and now other companies are on the scene snapping at the heals of Occulus, then maybe they will pull their finger out and finally get the headset out to the public.

I'm fairly sure for most of us and certainly myself, this tech is too new to have a Favourate manufactor that you are prepared to wait for and only buy their products.

It's still a very open market, and to be honest I couldn't care less what company produces the VR headset, so long as it provides me with a working resolution where I can read my instruments and spot the target at the same clearness that I currently have with my monitor, and has 1 to 1 head tracking that is at least as good as the DK2, and of course the price and pc requirements are reasonable, I.E. Not having to run a flight sim at 120 fps, then that's the one I'm gonna buy.

Vice is certainly very intresting and one I'm certainly gonna be watching closely, the Oculus Rift is of course a great peice of kit, but it does need to significantly upgrade the resolution and reduce the FPS needed to make it useful to us. No point have a $300 VR headeset if I need to spend $2000 on Graphic cards just to get the damn think to work correctly.

The one thing that the DK2 has got right already and dosnt need changing is the head tracking. That is damn right perfect already. :)

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Ya love dk2. I always wondered if theirs a company out their selling upgrade screens for the dk2. The head tracking is great until you look directly behind you then not having any sensors or what not on back of dk2 kind of sucks. My hats already been fixed with cv1.

I'm really interested though in buying after market improved screen for dk2 if it exists. Like you said it's near perfect minus the resolution well wish we could just fix that now lol.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Ya love dk2. I always wondered if theirs a company out their selling upgrade screens for the dk2. The head tracking is great until you look directly behind you then not having any sensors or what not on back of dk2 kind of sucks. My hats already been fixed with cv1.

I'm really interested though in buying after market improved screen for dk2 if it exists. Like you said it's near perfect minus the resolution well wish we could just fix that now lol.

You'd have to upgrade the controller board itself as the currebt one is already running the max it can.

As for tracking on the back, didnt they have a version w/ tracking along the back of the head band?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I was reading that the Arduino will default to 9600 baud rate. Many people on the Arduino forum recommend that it be raised to 115200. Whether or not that will make a difference with DCS I don't know. this is done in the device manager.

John

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I was reading that the Arduino will default to 9600 baud rate. Many people on the Arduino forum recommend that it be raised to 115200. Whether or not that will make a difference with DCS I don't know. this is done in the device manager.

John

What is this?

Have to say I agree with the last couple of pages, Oculus has always been the big player, an while I'm keeping all options open, I am more optimistic about the Vive for gaming. We all knew the acquisition by Facebook would either raise the game significantly, or deviate attention away from gaming as a primary goal. It seems others have caught up for sure, likely moved ahead unless Oculus have something new to show soon. Still, I wouldn't write it off at all just yet, and there are other contenders that may surprise us yet.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

...and of course the price and pc requirements are reasonable, I.E. Not having to run a flight sim at 120 fps, then that's the one I'm gonna buy.
That's part a requirement of VR itself (the more fps the more veritable is what you see) and part a requiriment of the low persistence technique, which is needed to overcome the limitations of today's display technology (i.e. a 1000Hz display wouldn't need it).

I know from my own experience with a Z800 years ago that a HMD plus Headtracking plus a quality simulator (like DCS) is all you need to enjoy simulation. But that is not VR, but a more convenient way than trackir of controlling the camera with your head.

The "problem" is that this time they want to go beyond that and try to fool our "reptile brain" with the visual stimulus that a high FOV HMD can deliver paired with highly accurate headtracking to go beyond immersion and reach that not well understood VR term of "presence". And to achieve that those high fps are needed.

I guess that once a CV is here (of whatever brand) you could make it run at 60/75/90/120 to fit anyone needs and posibilities. Because "presence" is NOT a requirement for fun times with our hobby.

Good example of corporate damage control. They have as lot of catching up to do. They have fallen behind. Besides, Luckey is biased, he says what he needs to say. That's like asking the president of McDonald's if his hamburgers are healthy.

You like to continually infer that Facebook will throw a wrench into the gaming plans of Oculus, but say nothing about HTC doing the same thing to Valve. Facebook has left Oculus alone, while Oculus continues the development of a gaming headset, setup a business spending millions to support game developers financially/technically, and hire hundreds of the best minds in the gaming industry. HTC will probably do the same thing for Valve. I never liked the Facebook acquisition either, but so far we've only seen Oculus hugely benefit from that partnership, with absolutely nothing to support the negative position.

Has anybody else noticed in dcs world that dsr or downsampling does not work. No matter what for me dcs world will only output the 1080 res its like a Rift lua or something totally makes it impossible to run a higher resolution downsampled to the rift. But will work on the desk top

Except they fell behind Valve. That's pretty negative. Zuckerberg did not invest 2 billion dollars to create a gaming device first and foremost, that is for sure.

Good news is that there are loads of players and Oculus will have to up its game to compete in the gaming sector. Since Oculus has fallen behind I hope it gets them moving and actually releases something soon. If Valve releases first with their superior product, Oculus is in big trouble. I would not like to see that happen.

I've got news for you "All" indications are that Zuckerberg is allowing Oculus to create a gaming device first. All the Oculus prototypes are gaming devices, and so will consumer version, unless you believe they are lying about that as well. A small portion of the Oculus team is working with Samsung lending their expertise and support for the GearVR headset that quite possibly could be used for social media.

You don't know if Oculus has fallen behind. Your comparing the new Valve unit with an atleast six month old Crescent Bay prototype. According to the software developer creating the demo for Valve, they were scrambling to have their current prototype ready for GDC. There isn't a lot of time to upgrade the current Valve prototype for an end of the year release. Oculus has said the next unit will be much better than the current Crescent Bay, and have been working on that for atleast the past six months. Thats not to say that Valve doesn't have a few tricks up their sleeves as well in the next few months, but you are currently comparing apples to oranges, I'll wait until we have a clearer picture on what the final specs of each unit will be before declaring any of them in trouble. Hopefully both developments will have even better news at June's E3.

Have we heard any word from the devs regarding adding ZOOM into the rift implementation? I have used zoom in P3D with DCOC and it works great! I am doing BFM training with some buddies and the ONLY reason I am reverting back to triples and TIR (it is very hard to make the move back, let me tell you!) is that I can't zoom to padlock bandits!

PLEASE, what can we do to get the devs to enable zoom in the rift? it is literally the ONLY thing keeping me from enjoying the glory of the Rift in DCS!!! It will work just like it does with DCOC and TIR - that is to say that full-range of head motion when zoomed in will not equate to 1:1 movement but I do not get simulator sickness. Those who do can avoid the zoom easily enough...

Is there any way that someone can figure out how to modify a file to re-enable the zoom?

Desperate for zoom!!!

Thanks,

Mars

Personally I love the way the rift is, it's just like a real pilot ya sure lower res but pilots don't have uber zoom eye ball vision. Makes you think more and more tactical decisions are made. I would never go back to a 2d screen. Once you get this thing dialed it's epic and honestly it keeps you from the whole zoom cheating like on gun runs in a a10c. It forces you to,engage within the proper engagement range and ya some good pucker factor.

I could see zooming in onto mfd or other parts of the pit, I honestly can see air threats easier in the rift compared to the 55 incher in 3d.

Personally I love the way the rift is, it's just like a real pilot ya sure lower res but pilots don't have uber zoom eye ball vision.

Maybe, but the human eye has much higher resolution than any screen, compromises always need to be found for gaming but upping the res can only be a good thing.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]