Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Whatever dude. You seem to be having trouble with the fact 17+ articles and reviews say Vive has overtaken Oculus, I'm sure they are all wrong and you are right. Not going to argue this fact anymore with someone who thinks they know more than 17+ reviewers.

Some of those reviews were comparing feelings in Vive to the DK1/DK2, which tells me their comparisons are invalid. Most of the reviewers preferred the Vive because of the input wands, and a greater field of movement, not the difference in quality of the headset itself. Neither of those features are required in the combat flight sim market.

I do agree that the Valve headset is very good, but you'd have to believe that Oculus has done nothing in the last six months to make improvements over the Crescent Bay prototype to suggest that Valve is ahead in the technology.

Reasonable people would take the last six months into account, and wait for release before jumping to any kind of conclusions. I'll wait and see which one turns out to better, and supports the software I want to use, before deciding to buy.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oculus Rift Dev Kit 2 Shipping in Only 1-2 Weeks Right Now

Anyone interested in buying a Dev Kit 2 since it doesn't take 2-3 months to get one anymore? Or are you going to just hold out for Dev Kit 3?

To be honest, I'm kind of tempted although the $350.00 price tag is pretty high. Also, one of my friends told me he wasn't too impressed with the demo he had of one. I was pretty disappointed to hear that.

Found the news on http://www.simbites.com.

Anyone interested in buying a Dev Kit 2 since it doesn't take 2-3 months to get one anymore? Or are you going to just hold out for Dev Kit 3?

I think you're better off waiting for CV1. The resolution, latency, etc. will be significantly better compared to DK2. Resolution in particular is going to be key for flight sims to pick out objects from further away - DK2 provides immersion now but it doesn't have the resolution unless you just want to fly around and enjoy the experience. If you're thinking that the $350 price tag is high I don't think you'll want to spend that now and then have to spend it all over again sometime this year to get the newer version.

I think you're better off waiting for CV1. The resolution, latency, etc. will be significantly better compared to DK2. Resolution in particular is going to be key for flight sims to pick out objects from further away - DK2 provides immersion now but it doesn't have the resolution unless you just want to fly around and enjoy the experience. If you're thinking that the $350 price tag is high I don't think you'll want to spend that now and then have to spend it all over again sometime this year to get the newer version.

Agreed.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You like to continually infer that Facebook will throw a wrench into the gaming plans of Oculus, but say nothing about HTC doing the same thing to Valve. Facebook has left Oculus alone, while Oculus continues the development of a gaming headset, setup a business spending millions to support game developers financially/technically, and hire hundreds of the best minds in the gaming industry. HTC will probably do the same thing for Valve. I never liked the Facebook acquisition either, but so far we've only seen Oculus hugely benefit from that partnership, with absolutely nothing to support the negative position.

What benefitted Oculus was their partnership with Valve, which was cut short when the FB acquisition was announced.

Agreed.

Disagree, it's perfectly usable right now. Combat effective in ka50 a10c. Just have to put the time in for good settings. Drives me nuts when I see people say it's only good for flight experience. Perfectly usable in combat, single player and multiplayer. For instance when in top 3 on 104 server people get very surprised when I tell them I'm flying in the rift.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Disagree, it's perfectly usable right now. Combat effective in ka50 a10c. Just have to put the time in for good settings. Drives me nuts when I see people say it's only good for flight experience. Perfectly usable in combat, single player and multiplayer. For instance when in top 3 on 104 server people get very surprised when I tell them I'm flying in the rift.

I'd like to get a look at your settings. Out-the-window combat effective for me requires labels. (Modded labels that are merely dots close but labels nonetheless)

What I sent to a fellow dk2 user

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebloggs

Would you be good enough to tell me what you do to get good FPS using DK2? I have some judder on the ground, but I'm good once I'm in the air. Thanks!

Same with me brother some judder on ground especially with huge airports and or big cities around.

In this thread a user by name of mustang provides essential lua edits that have allowed me to run high scenes and high visibility distance.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=107551&page=4

Go to a previous page his post number two has a great edit then couple pages further into that topic high provides a new high lua. With those I run 75 frames but we have to accept with current engine if you want any detail aka buildings and such frames will drop below 75. Pray dcs 2.0 fixes this.

I use sweetfx mainly just as a color enhancer I use no AA,fxaa with it.

I use to use mustangs cloud and shader mod but just disabled it and things look better in rift without it especially since this last patch now includes Peter p HDR mod.

Settings in game I have grass and clutter to zero

Scenes high

Visibility high

Shadows medium still experimenting probably keep them low since they draw incorrectly in the rift

Cockpit shadows off, tree shadows off

Water low

Tree draw distance is another biggee I have it at 2500 meters but might just settle at 1500

Cockpit display 512 not every frame

Have rift set as primary and run game with full screen I turn rift on when mission is loading.

Realize I have two 980 and good processor so you results may very. I don't use sli as found it do t work with rift in this game unless you force Afr2 sli setting but with that you get cloud flickering.

So with that I can fly multiplayer and single player stuff just fine. Is it always locked at 75? Nope but it is a compromise between some useful eye candy and performance. I. Perfectly combat effective with rift. My screen name is Crom

Any questions hit me up, and can't wait for dcs 2.0. Their is nothing that can compete to flying this sim in Vr except for the real thing. I see it giving you a tactical advantage wether it be ka50 or a10c. You feel and sense the terrain and able to realistically judge things allot better compared to a boring 2d screen.

About to start Mqt training in the 476th as a trainee pilot will be a great test of the rift. If she holds me back then I'll switch back to my big screen and 3dvision.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

To be honest, I'm kind of tempted although the $350.00 price tag is pretty high. Also, one of my friends told me he wasn't too impressed with the demo he had of one. I was pretty disappointed to hear that.

Found the news on www.simbites.com.

There probably won't be a DK3 available to the general public. Its possible they might send a close to CV1 prototype to major gaming developers.

I have the DK2 and it is immersive, but it simply isn't good enough for flight sims due to the low resolution and the major factor of my IPD being too large. It looks like the CV1 will have a much larger IPD sweetspot, which I will be looking for before buying, no matter how good the unit is for those with average IPD's.

I'd definitely wait for the Oculus CV1, but if the Vive consumer version looks like a winner, has DCS support, and Oculus hasn't released, or posted its specs for their consumer version then I would definitely look seriously at Vive, even if it is more expensive than the CV1's project price.

If Vive actually manages release their hardware this year, before Oculus. Oculus may post their CV1 specs, and pricepoint especially if their specs are better and cheaper. Although I think Oculus was more worried about developers releasing poor VR headsets early, souring the market, which Valve is unlikely to do.

What benefitted Oculus was their partnership with Valve, which was cut short when the FB acquisition was announced.

Their is no doubt Valve's and Oculus benefitted from their partnership, but neither together or apart had the monies to create what they wanted. Their partnerships with HTC, Facebook/Samsung is better for both them and for us with the competition it created.

Oculus will get along just fine after hiring Valve's lead VR tech in Abrish. spell? Not to mention Carmack, and hiring another three hundred of the top VR/3D/ hardware/software gaming techs and managers in the sector. Oculus might have a slight edge in the display department, since their partnership with Samsung gives them access to very highend custom displays at a cheaper pricepoint.

Thank you for the excellent analysis guys. I agree it's best to wait given the $350.00 price tag and the fact that CV1 is probably due out within the next year.

The good news is that the current users love their DK2. Great to hear that!

The good news is that the current users love their DK2. Great to hear that!

It does seem that even terrible looking games are completely immersive within the rift even as it is today. This bodes very well for a production headset with a high res display playing highly polished AAA titles.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Ya I think it's safe to say the future is upon us,. This tech is amazing with flight sims and hope sims like dcs 2.0 get allot of press and utilization with the Vr realm.

It's a question of personal preference. To me the DK2 is too fun to miss it. And you can always sell it and get your money back for the CV.

On the other hand, the people that is waiting for the CV will not "suffer" the drawbacks of an unpolished device and its companion software, with the low resolution being the worst part.

There won't be a DK3 because the DK2 has all the features needed to develop with the Oculus SDK, which is the real reason of its existence.

I had the DK1 and DK2. DK2 was awesome but like most have said it needs a higher resolution.I sold my DK2 after about 2 weeks.I had extra money and wanted to see the improvements over the DK1.I will say this,I could never go back to flying without VR,it's that immersive!!

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

I had the DK1 and DK2. DK2 was awesome but like most have said it needs a higher resolution.I sold my DK2 after about 2 weeks.I had extra money and wanted to see the improvements over the DK1.I will say this,I could never go back to flying without VR,it's that immersive!!

I think VR might actually make the flight sim genre big again. If VR is good enough most current flight simmers will never want to go back to a monitor and Track IR.

Most people will eventually try a few VR demos this year or next, and flight will probably be one of the demos available, as flight is a particularly good experience in VR. If the VR hardware and flight demo is well done, many people who were never interested in gaming will be hooked, and many of those people will move on to more complex flight sims. :)

If DCS is supported by the Vive on it's launch date then I will buy the Vive,if not I may hold out for Oculus since I know it will have DCS capability.Hopefully they will both be functional with DCS right off the bat.Any comment ED? lol

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Most game developers are going to be working toward servicing both. Its not that difficult once you develop a game for one to do it for another. Just as long as they don't get all proprietary on us like VHS and Beta.

Vive's API and software is to be open (if not entirely opensourced) and it's to be one of the key advantages over the competition as far as I know.

Just curious if there is any way to get it working, or If ED has said anything about integrating the newer SDK

I hope that it's a yes when it comes to dcs world 2.0

The Oculus SDK and updates has been open to anyone that wants one from day one. I know its not optimal or easy to convert existing games to support VR. The best solutions are games built from scratch specifically for VR. DCS might be OK, as they have been building a new graphic engine with support from Oculus for quite sometime.