Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere that Valve doesn't have any plans to bring its tech to the mass market. A pity, but I guess they plan to work closely with the OR guys in finding innovative ways to make their product better.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Wow a little shocker to brighten your day!!

Palmer Luckey confirmed in response to some reddit questions:

"CV1 will meet or exceed the quality of Valve's demo."

source:

EDIT: one more comment from Palmer:

Mentioned this in my talk at Steam Dev Days, hopefully it gets posted online soon.

I want to note that the Rift will not be designed for experiences that allow you to walk around a room like the SDD tech demo, but the specifications and quality will be above the baseline level Michael Abrash outlined in his talk. Valve's prototype hardware and software are very well integrated and calibrated, more so than the Crystal Cove demos we got together for CES, but the actual components are not all that different. All the pieces are there.

have nice day all!!

Edited by wasyl00

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

If they do not have any plans to market this tech, what then would be the reason for demos and hype...?
Aparently they've seen the huge potential of VR and they want Steam to be the main platform of VR content. So they are pushing things to make VR a reality while adapt Steam to the new format.

If they do not have any plans to market this tech, what then would be the reason for demos and hype...?

I guess they are waiting for a Steam OS which is underway. It makes sense to promote Steam OS as a platform for serious VR.

You basically always want to avoid Microsoft ... if you can survive the move ... :lol:

Edited by danilop

Wags can you give us an idea when a test of the oculus might be available for DCS?

Can we expect an update with it for the current product?

I've been using the first gen rift for some time now and I LOVE it.

I have it working very nicely with tridef and several flight sims.

I cannot get tridef or any other trick to work with dcs.

I'm dying to try the rift with the p-51 and the huey. In fact I've put off learning the huey until beta rift comes to dcs. I can't imagine it without the rift. The current rift is enough to make me not want to fly without even with the lower res.

Man it's real and frankly it's really ready for DSC right now. Just turn it on.

I figured out there was a stereo view last night and played with the rift in the huey and the P-51. IT WAS AWESOME! The current res isn't a problem with zoom. More would be better but it's amazing right now. The only thing is that I had to use the mouse to look around because the rift tracking wasn't enabled. Just let me use the rift as a mouse till you get it fully working.

We need a mouse click map option to add mouse clicks to joysticks for rift users.

The only thing is that I had to use the mouse to look around because the rift tracking wasn't enabled. Just let me use the rift as a mouse till you get it fully working.
What about facetracknoir? Or the headtracker.dll for Oculus Rift. It seemed to work for some people. It conflicts with nthusim, but if you are not using nthusim it may work well.

Man it's real and frankly it's really ready for DSC right now. Just turn it on.

I figured out there was a stereo view last night and played with the rift in the huey and the P-51. IT WAS AWESOME! The current res isn't a problem with zoom. More would be better but it's amazing right now. The only thing is that I had to use the mouse to look around because the rift tracking wasn't enabled. Just let me use the rift as a mouse till you get it fully working.

We need a mouse click map option to add mouse clicks to joysticks for rift users.

Wait.....what? how? how can I use stereo view? how do I turn it on?

Wait.....what? how? how can I use stereo view? how do I turn it on?

I'm not sure if it was there and I missed it before this update.

But it's there now.

In video options where u set number of screens

1 is default 1 monitor. You can setup for 3 screens.

You can setup for MFD screens.

They also have stereo right there. If you choose stereo it will split screen left and right and make 3d stereo of dcs world. It works GREAT with the rift.

Set to 1280x800 or 1680x1050 is even better and use stereo. Mouse look will orient the rift.

I'll be trying those tracking software tips people posted later. So far there is no way to turn on the rift head tracking wth DCS that I know of. Tridef and vorpx don't work with DCS steam.

They work aweomse with other sims.

But the huey and p51 were amazing with stereo. I need to find a way to map mouse buttons to the joystick. Is that possible? They I'll be able to click the cockpit controls in the rift.

Note that the stereo isn't warping correctly for the rift lenses. But it still looks pretty fantastic. I'll be flying htis way untill they provide some beta oculus stuff for us to try.

I'd love to beta test the rift for you guys if you like.

I am part of the WWII kickstarter also and I'd like to help with the terrain if need be.

michael

The stereo view works with Nthusim for the warp and opentrack for head tracking. Unfortunately the cursor is not modeled in 3d so it does not line up with the cockpit buttons for me. Is there any way to fix this?

The other issue I have is the graphics having a very yellow tint in the rift when looking into the sun. It looks terrible. I am running max graphics settings and have tried HDR on all three settings without it helping. Is there any mods that improve the graphics?

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Other software has a laser pointer mode that ignores the 3d and shows true screen center that you can show or hide.

Nthusim now has a new HMD version I will try that includes headtracking for the rift and supports desktop look around. This is a dream for me because it means netflix and hulu in the rift!!!

But it also means DCS world with head tracking. Now I still need time to test it.

I also downloaded all the other trackers. I'd like to try a webcam added for positional.

That will take more time.

I'm still looking for a way to map the cockpit mouse click to a joystick button? Does anyone know if this is currently possible?

I don't want to have everything working only to have to reach for the mouse and mess up my view to click a control.

Thanks

michael

I'm still looking for a way to map the cockpit mouse click to a joystick button? Does anyone know if this is currently possible?

I don't want to have everything working only to have to reach for the mouse and mess up my view to click a control.

I think this should be fairly easy with AutoHotKey. I use Xpadder for this sort of thing but that's not free I'm afraid.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

I've now used opentrack with my rift and stereo from DCS world nicely.

I just had to tweak the stereo file in the camera folder so I wasnt cross eyed.

I'm using opentrack to use the rifts head tracking and it works as track ir 3DOF.

I will consider adding a webcam for 6dof soon.

I'm also going to look into zooming.

Frankly though in real racing and flying you are strapped in so tight for G's you can't lean too much.

I feel I can read the instruments just fine using DK1 rift as is now.

I'm very happy. Only going to get better from here!!

-mikey

Just read the Wags post about working with oculus and wanting DCS to be a showcase VR experience... Absolute dream come true! I couldn't agree more. I even emailed oculus telling them that DCS would be the perfect showcase a whole year ago when I first heard about the rift!

My experience with the Oculus rift DK1 and DCS so far

6 DOF in Outerra with a webcam and a printed marker in the Rift.

The video is in spanish

Ok so this guy appears to be using opentrack which is free and I highly recommend it for any rift experimenters out there.

It allows you to use many different kinds of sensors and combine them.

I use this to have the Oculus Rift Head tracking work as if it is a Track IR in DCS.

I only get 3DOF this way. I can add a web cam and maker as the guy in this outerra video did and us the webcam for xyz trans to get 6dof in DCS. I may try this Friday and over this weekend.

Here's my experience so far with the DK1 rift and DCS and some notes:

• I run everything off a laptop. I have a lenovo x220t with an i7 8GB Ram and a very fast SSD drive 500GB. I use an EGPU external nvidia full size graphics card to power my graphics. The egpu plugs into the expresscard slot. It's a GTX 660TI. The x220t i7 is only 2real cores hyperthreaded to 4 cores. They are 35 watt cpus though and when only doing cpu work with a real GPU it's pretty fast.

• I can play almost any game out there on my asus 1920x1080P 3D monitor in 2d with all settings on full ultimate high and get good frame rates with low antialiasing. If I goto 3D i drop framerates in half to a reasonable 30fps solid on the asus monitor.

• My experience on the rift is everything ultra and 1920x1080 drops games into the 20fps area!

I'll do better benchmarking this weekend with fraps and hwinfo.

I was able to get 70fps with low distance in dcs. That had the biggest effect. I'm finding the proper tradeoffs for my machine. I had about 45fps with high distance and lowering of some other effects at 1280x800 with aa4x. That looked pretty good and was smooth.

Bottom line my computer that did everythings was an awesome art tablet to draw on and played all games wont support the future of the rift at full 1080p res and ultra settings. I need a dedicated game rig going forward.

Things that work great.

• Head tracking is as good as any game with opentrack with the exception of some drift and need to center once in a while. I have yet to add opentracks center key to my stick. The center in dcs doesn't seem to work in track ir mode. Maybe the webcam with help stabilize, maybe but I'm sure it's solvable and its workable as is.

• The FOV is awesome. The resolution is okay, not great but passable for me. Smooth zoom works so I can zoom in and out on targets or gauges in cockpit fine and even look around naturally while zoomed in works great.

Things that aren't working so great:

• I cant find a way to center within the game while using track ir.

• The cockpit click doesn't seam to line up with the cursor placement perfectly and you have to fiddle around to find where to click.

This is definately what I've been waiting for to get into DCS. I've been collecting the titles for a while now and now I can finally play them in a way that is natural and satisfying to me. I feel like im in the cockpit. I can spend hours in there. I really enjoy flying the P-51 and attacking the trains and cars. But also the A10C and the Su-25T were amazing in the rift.

I love my GAU8 and rockets. Can't wait to learn the sysems on the su-25T. Even more looking foreward to being the door gunner and using the minigun controls on the huey!!

If I post videos of this what would convince you monitor guys this is now and worth $300 to play with right now? How many of you havd 3D monitors where SidebySide video would work? Should I show just one side playback so you see the track IR and see my head move in another video like the outerra? I'll can give some benchmarks soon too. Is any of this useful or interesting to the rift community here. Since i'm super into playing with mine I can do some experimenting for you guys if you let me know what you'd like to see or know about.

I've got every full module expect flaming cliffs 3 and I'll have that if / when they port those keys to steam. I even have all the WWII stuff as it becomes available and I'm super excited to test and play with those assets.

List of things I think are useful for future Rifters:

• Tridef Can make 2D content into 3D content and does an amazing job. Can make 2D movies 3D. If you capture these you can play them in the rift with other players. Makes some DX9 old games work fantastically with the rift.

• Nthusim Can make your desktop and everything work with the rift broken in win8.1 right now but will be fixed and will incorporate head tracking. Will support netflix in the rift!

• Opentrack Headtracking solution for most things!

• Fraps to benchmark and record games, also lets to you record stereo video from tridef to playback in other apps.

• VR player the best player for videos in the rift until nthusim works with win8.1 desktop.

Thanks all,

-michael

• Like 1

Can you post the settings etc that you use,or maybe a quick tutorial on how to set those up,I tried using stereo view and the convergence is off,I also have trackIR.Any hep is greatly appreciated!!

Edited by blksolo

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog