Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we may see a 1920x1080p version as that will be much easier to make content for at first.

But there are many panels now at 2k>

2560x1440 16:9

2560x1600 16:10

All at under 6"

The Panels availability isnt as big of an issue than the Price, they want to keep it affordable.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Wag's could you guys post your stereo settings?

Hi Wags,

I wonder if you guys could post the current stereo settings you guys are liking?

Left

viewDx = -0.12;

eye_shift = -0.025;

Right

viewDx = 0.12;

eye_shift = 0.025;

Is working nicely for me.

Also the Right eye mouse cockpit click works aligned on the cockpit very nicely.

Could you pass along any settings you guys find that are better?

Thanks,

-michael

Put a hold on your cockpit design till u try the rift

Originally Posted by smirkza View Post

http://technicalillusions.com/

My plan is to build a hogpit surrounded by a dome made of a reflective screen. With working MFCD, CDU etc but for the outside world the headset will give me 3D viewing - no need to simulate my body as my real body will right there in front of me.

Plans for a full 6dof motion platform and tactile feedback system (multiple bass shakers) are also in the dream.

Just need to find the finances now and a lass willing to let me blow it all on a hogpit!

I don't understand this?

How will you have an HMD for only outside world?

How will u see your real body overlayed on outside world?

The way the rift works isn't what many imagine until they try it.

It is your entire field of vision and essentially teleports you inside of any simulation environment. It's not a new head tracking monitor. It's a teleporter that sticks you inside the game. Your not looking at a monitor of the world. You're in the world and it fully surrounds you. The runway doesn't pass down the screen in front of you and go off the edge. The runway passes by YOU and around you and as you turn your head your in the cockpit, IN it on the runway.

Put your plans for tubs and mfds and cockpits on hold until you try it implemented then see what's lacking and redesign. I believe most of your needs will disapear. The cockpit they build in VR will better and more realistic than any we can build.

If you want a convincing tub all you really need is a proper posture seat for the sim you are caring about that places HOTAS where it should be. That isn't needed though. Your mind is so convincing that it takes care of most of this for you. It fools you into believing your there doing these things. If the stick is on your table a bit to the right but you move it and you see the model in the game move the center stick in the P-51 the fact that your mind and muscles made it move and you saw the visuals 99% makes you think your there and did that.

Reaching for a switch with a cursor on the monitor admittedly isn't ideal but works and is cheap and doesn't take you out of that environment. If you have to reach for a mouse that does remove you from that world. Ideal might be tracking like multiple cameras more likely kinect. I think the next target for DCS is kinect integration that allows us to track our hands and body movements to use our realy arms to reach into the VR cockpit to flick switches. Since every cockpit is differeant it's not realistic to build a tub that matches physically all the aircraft. You could with kinect match a single favorite physically and have you reaching and touching the same spots. it could be a bare cockpit accureately sized. But for most they will be satisfied that they really are inside the cockpit as soon as they put the rift on.

When I play FPS with the rift I'm teleported into that world. I'm crawling in the weeds in 3D ducking behind them. I naturally look around. I completely forget I'm using mouse and keyboard immediately the surround sound with the surround 3d vision teleports me.

Try mirrors edge and you are in the matrix jumping from building to building.

I've been fly INSIDE a p-51 for about a week now every night. I'm inside it. I'm half blind but I am in a P-51. Soon I have 20/30 vision. Now I'm 20/60 vision. But the biggest part is that I'm inside that airplane.

I can't wait to have my very own Me262 to fly inside of. It's been a long time dream. Then I'm waiting on that MiG21. I'd love the MiG 15 and F-86. Looking forward to all the stuff coming our way and it's only going to get better. But put your plans on hold till you try it. It will solve and do alot more than you think by look at it from the outside.

As for cockpit motion:

I've tried many military sims in my lifetime. Some full dome some Fully motion full vision.

The motion is a massive waste of money IMO. It's very expensive and to do it correctly you can only simulate the onset of G. You have to ramp it up quickly and rolloff accelerations in a way that the user doesn't notice. If you making it for 200# it's going to be really expensive and it can only do so much onset and then you run out of room while it resets to center to get some more room to move. It will never be able to simulate more than onset. Racing sims have a bit more room to play than flight sims.

The best use I saw was weather and turbulence but that was way outside the range of any home cockpit.

With proper posture seat and great visuals and sounds your going to be 90% there. The rest is going to be SUPER expensive with diminishing returns.

2 examples of your mind playing tricks on you.

Your on a train sitting reading. In your peripheral vision you see movement of the train next to you. For a second you feel motion until you realize your not moving they are but you mind made you think you were.

Walking through a spinning tunnel in an amusement park. You inner ear balance fights against the visual input that doesn't sync.

The rift is awesome visual input to fool you. You'll believe your in that cockpit.

Edited by maddabbo@yahoo.com

Put your plans for tubs and mfds and cockpits on hold until you try it implemented then see what's lacking and redesign. I believe most of your needs will disapear. The cockpit they build in VR will better and more realistic than any we can build.

what i have been thinking all along...

my wishlist:

my helicopter controls (90% complete)

tactile transducer (home made butt kicker - summer project 2014)

ED/DCS EDGE/IG (unknown)

DCS World multiple player in one aircraft net code (unknown)

Belsimtek AH-1G Cobra

OCulus RIFT

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Oculus Rift Support Thread

what i have been thinking all along...

my wishlist:

my helicopter controls (90% complete)

tactile transducer (home made butt kicker - summer project 2014)

ED/DCS EDGE/IG (unknown)

DCS World multiple player in one aircraft net code (unknown)

Belsimtek AH-1G Cobra

OCulus RIFT

^^ all these plus some serious Rig upgrade to pull DCS+EDGE @60+ fps for ultimate experience in Rift

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

I don't understand this?

How will you have an HMD for only outside world?

How will u see your real body overlayed on outside world?

The way the rift works isn't what many imagine until they try it.

He was talking about CastAR, an Augmented Reality HMD that only displays game content where you place some special surfaces in reality. Much like a projection setup would work, but with the projectors actually worn on your face.

Therefore, only the outside content would have to be rendered, the real pit would be perfectly usable and you could still see your hands and all.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

He was talking about CastAR, an Augmented Reality HMD that only displays game content where you place some special surfaces in reality. Much like a projection setup would work, but with the projectors actually worn on your face.

Therefore, only the outside content would have to be rendered, the real pit would be perfectly usable and you could still see your hands and all.

Thanks for explaining for me mhe. :thumbup:

What a mistake maddabbo XD

The more I think about castAR the more I like it. I hope they'll be successful and stay on business for a long time. I want one of those too.

Aye, there is a very real market for this type of AR system.

Using it, you could build the entire pit without any instruments needed. Simply build the frame of each instrument and put reflective material where the dials/screens would be. The CASTAR is accurate to within 0.5mm so would display the dial/screen for you quite accurately.

As with anything current available resolutions might be an issue, but we won't know by how much until they release a finished product.

This could drop down the price of creating your own pit quite a lot and simplify the IO side of things for non-coders like myself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the rift too - I just think I would miss the full tactile feel of being in the cockpit and the visual joy of actually seeing myself there too...

Cheers,

Smirkza

awesome news to hear the ED implementing/messing around with oculus rift.

sad news to hear that there might not be a separate camera view from door gun for the UH-1H (potentially meaning no separate camera view from the turret for the AH-1G)

:( :( :(

i hope ED/TFC can make possible with 3rd party aircraft in which the camera view separate is separate from the traversable mounted weapons (i.e. M60D, M134)

i dont want to aim the doorgun with my head... :/

(A REASON WHY WE NEED AXIS COMMANDS for the door gunner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSZ-K...tailpage#t=312

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=119354)

Spent the last hour doing carrier traps with the new 6 DOF Su-33 DOF cockpit using the Rift. Very cool :)

I know youre under NDA but can we get a "riftview" video of it to view inside our own DK's?

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Spent the last hour doing carrier traps with the new 6 DOF Su-33 DOF cockpit using the Rift. Very cool :)

Jealous doesn't even come close to describing how I feel about this. ;)

Fantastic ED is taking the rift seriously, can't wait to see it supported.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Thanks for explaining.

Seems to me the rift will actually likely do all of that with the correct code.

They are already mounting cameras on the rift and using targets on walls to create augmented reality rift experiences.

If the rift comes with cameras we'll be able to do this.

Just build your pit. Place targets on it's surfaces. Render the externalviews and composite with camera of pit. Can actually render and composite together in various ways to do the same thing but the registration and speed needed to do this probably wont be very good at first. If you turned your head fast I'd expect the outside world to lose sync with the camera view real-world and catch up.

I think we'll see better immersion in the first versons with rift view mostly and some overlays and use of things like hydra or kinect for hands.

Cool ideas. Still I think most will be really impressed with the world inside the rift and not want or be able to create anything at home that can match it or blend with it convincingly.

hey maddabbo@yahoo.com

how is the audio in dcs when using the rift...

do you experience sound stereoscopy? (audio 3d ness)

The rift DK1 has no speakers or headphones.

So sound is however you did it without the rift.

I play both with the terrible laptop or asus 3d monitor speekers if I'm lazy during daylight hours or with really nice 7.1 simulating logitech headset with a built in mic. In that case sound can be awesome but it's up to the game.

The rift DK1 has no speakers or headphones.

So sound is however you did it without the rift.

I play both with the terrible laptop or asus 3d monitor speekers if I'm lazy during daylight hours or with really nice 7.1 simulating logitech headset with a built in mic. In that case sound can be awesome but it's up to the game.

well have u tried it with head phones?

i ask this because deadhalls, half life, all have 3d effect sound because the fact that the rift tracks your head movement, the audio from its respective source will sound as if you have a sense of space.

i like to know if u can play DCS with the rift & headphones,,

then "let say" your in the P51 and you look at your right wing, will you ear the engine more pronounced on your left ear, and less on the right, or is the DCS audio strictly mono..

AND IF YOU HAVENT ALREADY, play deadhalls, half life with the RIFT and some headphones, u will know what im talking about then...

I'm pretty sure DCS already has some type of positional audio,when I use trackir during startup in A-10C I can hear the difference in sound when i turn my head.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Wags,

Are the HUD and gauges well readable with this higher resolution?

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

I'm pretty sure DCS already has some type of positional audio,when I use trackir during startup in A-10C I can hear the difference in sound when i turn my head.

EXactly..

thank you for confirm..

i like to hear the the comments from a rift user as well...

i imagine it awesome :)