Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

So here is my first knock on the rift DK1 and I hope its an easy fix. I left it on overnight by mistake and it has screen burn in. I didnt think LCD's would do that.Any ideas?

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far I know if it is burned... it is burned.

When I drove 1200 km and had phone camera on, upper part of app burned screen.

I only heard very fast change of image (example green, yellow, white, black and so on over and over) can minimize effect. But only very small defects.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

So here is my first knock on the rift DK1 and I hope its an easy fix. I left it on overnight by mistake and it has screen burn in. I didnt think LCD's would do that.Any ideas?

Interesting, I was unaware that was possible as well.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thankfully it's not too noticeable on most demos,I may try this and see if it works.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4q2rzx1MAw

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thankfully it's not too noticeable on most demos,I may try this and see if it works.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4q2rzx1MAw

Cool. Definitely filing that link away. Thanks.

There should be a warning about staring at it for tong though! :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Will the people that have bought the development kit get discount when the retail unit is released? How does this work?

Man, I have conditioned myself not to get too excited about anything that looks to cost more than my shitty assault moped. :D The last time I have an urge to buy a piece of tech gadget was when I was living in the US some 9 years ago. I tried to suppress the urge by not watching any more Oculus video demos etc but I keep coming back to this thread for news. I WANT THIS! hehe

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

No discount on retail.If money is tight I would wait for the consumer version.The problem is no one knows how long that will be,it may be in 6 months or a year or so .If you got 300 dollars burning a hole in your pocket like I was then absolutely 100 percent get it,just keep in mind you wont be playing any games on this version.its best for just demos since it doesnt have 6dof and its low res.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Bad news that may be good news guys. Oculus is almost out of DK1's and wont be manufacturing anymore,some think its because DK2 is around the corner.If DK2 is right around the corner at least I got a couple of months out of DK1 and could always re-sell it for 200 bucks lol

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Is there any finger tracking solution besides Leap in the pipeline right now?

Surely using a mouse is quite close to finger tracking.

I know it is not 3D but it would be possible to get an in game arm to follow the mouse cursor and could feel quite realistic.

The trouble is finger tracking will probably not be accurate enough (I have seen alot of very bad reviews about the Leap Motion)

The switches on the A-10C are so close together that even if you had good finger tracking (if) without tactile feedback it would be hard to know which switch you are pressing.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

try a trackball, there's a reason we use them in ATC.

That is my plan. I am going to integrate a trackball on the top of my collective stick and use my thumb to move it.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Is anyone using a three monitor setup *and* the Rift? Even though my monitors are lined up correctly (and works perfectly for the game - sans Rift), the X coordinates in stereo.lua files are not being honored. The game just starts in a windowed mode in my left most monitor. And it looks like only the right viewport is being painted. I'll post my stereo lua file later (don't have access to it) but thought someone already ran into it. thanks.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I wonder when Saitek will realize that in a HOTAS a mini-trackball would be a lot more useful than a mini-stick.

Aircrafts controls tend to have mini-sticks instead of mini-trackballs. Imagine slewing TGP from the front to the side with trackball.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

OR Support is a must have for DCS.

...and it is well on its way. :)

If you have a finite size surface to with, a first order input device as a mouse is great. If you have to steer something over an more or less infinite area, second order input devices (e.g. sticks, directional pads etc.) are better most of the time.

So a trackball for the virtual cockpit makes sense, the "canvas" you work on is not too big. But a trackball for TGP slew would suck balls imho because it would be impossible to maintain scroll speed over some distance.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I was talking simply about controlling the mouse cursor.

Saitek puts a mini-stick in their throttles with the main purpose of controlling the mouse cursor, but it's so imprecise that you have to use a regular mouse. Long ago I realize that a if they'd put a mini-trackball like the one you can find on some cell phones (or maybe a mini touchpad) at the place where they put a mini-stick the mouse cursor could be controlled without having to lift the hand to reach for the mouse.

I didn't expect that this would need that much explanation in a forum full of veteran simmers as we often think about the same problems and solutions. When I saw that Frusheen was going to integrate a trackball in his collective I thought "yes, let's talk about that. By now everybody here must be tired of not having an efficient way of controlling the mouse cursor effectively (mouse cursor, no more TGP example, please) integrated in our HOTAS.

Here's something I had proposed before regarding the mouse. This is back in pg 88 of this thread. This is not a new idea and many others have commented on this. It's something that makes lots of sense and prevents the neck strain due to having to hold your head still to click on a small switch.

Alright hear me out here guys. I was doing a little thinking. Regarding the implementation of Oculus into DCS I had an interesting idea. One of the issues I always had with track IR for example was the fact that I had to steady the view in order to click switches with the mouse in the cockpit effectively. This gave me quite a strain in my neck after a while. You have to hold your head as steady as you can. I was thinking Oculus is going to run into the same issue although maybe not quite pronounced since the view sensitivity will be 1:1 as opposed to the higher gains with trackIR. But still here's an idea that is more inline with reality. Instead of the mouse pointer position being defined by the view frame of reference that the player is looking at it should be "attached to the cockpit" or be part of the cockpit/world frame of reference. Another words, if you are flying the warthog and you want to tune radios on the left lower panel, you would turn your head to look at it and lets say the pointer is on that panel, when you move your head, the pointer does not move with your view, it stays wherever on that panel that you left it. You can therefore move the pointer using the mouse and it will not be affected by your view steadiness. Therefore you don't have to keep your head as steady because the pointer will not move with the view.

There's any issue that will arise with the solution. Lets say now you want to adjust the interior lighting on the right panel, you would therefore move your head to look at the right panel but since the mouse is fixed to the panel/cockpit frame of reference system instead of the view frame of reference, your mouse pointer will stay on the left side and disappear, you would have to move the mouse until you brought it over to the right panel. Here's a solution for this though. The view itself is rectangular parameter and the upper, lower, left and right parameters of the view can be boundaries, therefore you decide to move your head to look at panel on the other side, there can be logic that if you move the view so that the pointer touches the edge of the view screen it will drag the pointer with you so that you don't lose it. I think this will complement well to oculus as well as improve the current functionality of track IR. Less stiff necks please! It also would be more natural, kinda like your hands and fingers feeling and touching parts of the panel independent of your neck and head movement.

Let me know what you guys think. I can draw a picture if it isn't clear. I hope you guys agree that this would be an improvement and a good feature. It could even be switchable on and off depending on the preference of the player and what view device he is using. (hat switch, vs trackIR, vs oculus).

thats a great idea buznee:)

I think what would be super cool also is that you could see your virtual pilots body, and the arms would be transparent (if needed) and the arms would actually reach out to touch the buttons.

Something along this lines?

Edited by Cyb0rg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asteroids

Update this

:D

I was talking simply about controlling the mouse cursor.

Saitek puts a mini-stick in their throttles with the main purpose of controlling the mouse cursor, but it's so imprecise that you have to use a regular mouse. Long ago I realize that a if they'd put a mini-trackball like the one you can find on some cell phones (or maybe a mini touchpad) at the place where they put a mini-stick the mouse cursor could be controlled without having to lift the hand to reach for the mouse.

I didn't expect that this would need that much explanation in a forum full of veteran simmers as we often think about the same problems and solutions. When I saw that Frusheen was going to integrate a trackball in his collective I thought "yes, let's talk about that. By now everybody here must be tired of not having an efficient way of controlling the mouse cursor effectively (mouse cursor, no more TGP example, please) integrated in our HOTAS.

Of course - the saitek nipple (I won't even call it a stick) sucks. Agree with what you were saying. Because of calling it mini-stick I like many people maybe associate it with the slew function of the Warthog's throttle. And you don't want to have slew on a trackball. But a trackball is great for moving the mouse in the cockpit, no doubt.

Cyb0rg: Your Youtube link is broken. ;)

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.