Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh huh - Get ready for a possible delay in getting the Oculas Rift on your head

Looks as if the TiR5 gets a stay of execution then?

Manufacture of Oculas Rift developers kits are being halted due to lack of components - As each region sells out - no more stock.

Got to have a knock on effect downstream wouldn't you say?

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/02/24/oculus-rift-production-halted

Waistcat

i7 7700 @ 4.7GHz--GTX1080ti--Samsung SSD 500GB--32 gigs of RAM--TH Warthog--Crosswinds rudder--HP Reverb--Dedicated Sim room.

Looks as if the TiR5 gets a stay of execution then?

Manufacture of Oculas Rift developers kits are being halted due to lack of components - As each region sells out - no more stock.

Got to have a knock on effect downstream wouldn't you say?

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/02/24/oculus-rift-production-halted

Waistcat

This is only for the Dev kits and at this point now it really doesn't make a ton of sense to buy a Dev kit with as close as they are rumored to be on the Crystal Cove/HD/Consumer version. This really shouldn't impact their timeline for the final version at all.

But if the crystal cove and the Dev kit share components???

What evidence is there for that assumption?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

But if the crystal cove and the Dev kit share components???

Heavy odds are that the component in short supply is the screen. Originally they planned on using a 5" screen for the dev kit and that screen was discontinued. They then switched to a 7" x800 screen. Odds are that there is little to no demand for such a screen and production of that screen has halted.

What evidence is there for that assumption?

I didn't assume - I just highlighted the issue as a possible interruption in production and asked the question.

i7 7700 @ 4.7GHz--GTX1080ti--Samsung SSD 500GB--32 gigs of RAM--TH Warthog--Crosswinds rudder--HP Reverb--Dedicated Sim room.

SoftKinetic might solve our problems with switchology in VR, here is an interview about the tech: http://www.roadtovr.com/softkinetic-aims-help-us-reach-virtual-worlds-interview/

• Like 1

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Oculus Rift

Does anyone know about plans to integrate DCS with Oculus? I think it is a great idea, and is a perfect game for it. Actually looking over your shoulder... and looking over your pilots shoulder. Peeking up and over the dash, and litterally doing it. I think It would be a fantastic experience, but am slightly alarmed that nothing has been announced. It is a relativley simple hardware compatibility integration, and would make DCS even more worthwhile. Thanks guys! :joystick:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=93477&highlight=Occulus

Try reading through this first...

Edit: Whoa, way too slow! :)

Edited by Tone71
Sniped, twice!

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

My personal view and I do not speak for Eagle on this:

I think this is very interesting, but until I see a means for easily viewing the keyboard hands-free, I am not sure how well this would work with a DCS title that often requires heavy keyboard use.

It wouldn't be much of a problem for people who have a HOTAS Warthog setup due to the fact that all the combat functions will be bound to the HOTAS stuff.

For me personally the downside of not being able to see the keyboard would be greatly be outweighed by the epic experience of having virtual reality.

Maybe one thing that could be cheaply done is put a cheap camera on the front of the headset with a paddle switch on the side or something so that you can quickly whack the paddle and switch to a feed from the cam so that you can use that to look at the keyboard or whatever. Saves having to pull the headset up so that you can peek out.

I don't test for bugs, but when I do I do it in production.

It wouldn't be much of a problem for people who have a HOTAS Warthog setup due to the fact that all the combat functions will be bound to the HOTAS stuff.

For me personally the downside of not being able to see the keyboard would be greatly be outweighed by the epic experience of having virtual reality.

This actually may come as a another benefit. Not being able to see the keyboard will convince people to use TS on multiplayer servers - which is better for overall immersion I suppose, instead type-spamming chat window:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

This actually may come as a another benefit. Not being able to see the keyboard will convince people to use TS on multiplayer servers - which is better for overall immersion I suppose, instead type-spamming chat window:)

On the other hand, a keyboard might be handy sometimes.

BTW, wish we had better ATC in DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asteroids

Update this

:D

I think that is just some guy using Vorpx software for the Rift,native support will be much better and ED is working on that now.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Maybe one thing that could be cheaply done is put a cheap camera on the front of the headset with a paddle switch on the side or something so that you can quickly whack the paddle and switch to a feed from the cam so that you can use that to look at the keyboard or whatever. Saves having to pull the headset up so that you can peek out.

I still think the easiest and cheapest option is to just use VAC or some other voice control software, so that you don't need to use the mouse to click on switches.

Okay, that can't be used for turning knobs and is a bit longwinded for some buttons that you need to press repeatedly e.g. "Abris 3, Abris 3, Abris 3" or typing in numbers e.g. "PVI 1, PVI 5, PVI 7" but it works well for most stuff and a numpad would cover the PVI.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

I still think the easiest and cheapest option is to just use VAC or some other voice control software, so that you don't need to use the mouse to click on switches.

Okay, that can't be used for turning knobs and is a bit longwinded for some buttons that you need to press repeatedly e.g. "Abris 3, Abris 3, Abris 3" or typing in numbers e.g. "PVI 1, PVI 5, PVI 7" but it works well for most stuff and a numpad would cover the PVI.

Nope, the best option is to give up with semi-sim modules and stick with the full clickable cockpits. With a HOTAS and the A10-C, I do not use the keyboard at all, and when using the Rift, i can have the mouse crosshair linked to the view.. so I just point the relevant switch with my eyes and click it with 2 buttons on the hotas. But I also didn't found any trouble to use the mouse to do the same (you don't need to see the mouse to use it really).

Nope, the best option is to give up with semi-sim modules and stick with the full clickable cockpits. With a HOTAS and the A10-C, I do not use the keyboard at all, and when using the Rift, i can have the mouse crosshair linked to the view.. so I just point the relevant switch with my eyes and click it with 2 buttons on the hotas. But I also didn't found any trouble to use the mouse to do the same (you don't need to see the mouse to use it really).

It seems strange that anyone would be using a mouse with the Rift if the Rift can be used instead to easily put the cursor over a switch.

You just need to watch this bloke fumbling around for his mouse at 1:17 to see that it's not particularly convenient

A fixed position trackball would be a much better option if you wanted to go down that route. I've actually got a nice logitech trackball but haven't used it in a while as the LMB had an intermittent fault and I needed a mouse to play other games like ArmA3 anyway but if I can fix it up, I'd probably use that with DCS and the Rift until something better comes along. That SoftKinetic certainly sounds promising.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

agreed

also the dk1 has a small area under the nose that can been seen through if need be

the consumer rift likely will have cameras

if it does you can map a button to allow camera overlay over the scene

I have no trouble typing blind while using the rift

I use the mouse as described above

I look at what I want to click and use a joystick button to click the mouse

I only fly the p-51 so data entry is not an issue

a handy add on is my usb numpad which i can place anywhere they are cheap and with creative mapping could be used for many things

Good HOTAS will go far with the rift

but a cockpit with matched switches would be ideal just don't think it's needed

I feel fully like im in my p-51 and i have a cheap stick with twist rudder and throttle on it

It has only 12 buttons to map

Nice HOTAS and RIFT will take you most of the way.

For choppers that setup in above videos would be ideal.

That tweaked would also be ideal for wwII

You will not see your fancy cockpit you spend years building

So just buying and placing toggle switches that dont look great will do it for you

It seems strange that anyone would be using a mouse with the Rift if the Rift can be used instead to easily put the cursor over a switch.

I put a "reticle" on a cap and tried how easy it would be to aim it to keys on my keyboard and found it to be very easy and fast. With sub 30ms latency it shouldn't be much harder to aim at cockpit buttons with Rift. You would still need some way of moving the cursor around so you don't have to use the center of the screen even for the aft panel buttons (and twist your neck excessively) but it doesn't need to be anything precise as you would just need to get the cursor somewhere around the corner of the display where the switch is. I suppose anyone with more recent version of Rift can't comment on this just yet how realistic this would be with actual hardware?

Doing away with keyboard would require some kind of alternate interface using this method that could be used for radio and game menus, etc. and some aircraft non-HOTAS controls currently not clickable (like Ka-50 throttles).

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

Doing away with keyboard would require some kind of alternate interface using this method that could be used for radio and game menus, etc. and some aircraft non-HOTAS controls currently not clickable (like Ka-50 throttles).

I'd say voice control is the best alternate interface for the radio menus. Not sure what alternative to the mouse cursor is needed for game menus? For things like the camera/ map views and throttles, again voice control works well.