Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

How does the Rift do 6DOF? I've built a DIY tracker using a GY-80 gyro/accelerometer/magnetometer and whilst the gyro works well for 3DOF (in conjunction with the magnetometer to correct drift), it seems the accelerometer is not really suited for X,Y,Z, so what is the Rift using for those?

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the Rift do 6DOF? I've built a DIY tracker using a GY-80 gyro/accelerometer/magnetometer and whilst the gyro works well for 3DOF (in conjunction with the magnetometer to correct drift), it seems the accelerometer is not really suited for X,Y,Z, so what is the Rift using for those?

Rift Dev Kit 1 - tracks only 3DOF rotations with inertial sensors (Accelerometer, Gyro, Magnetometer)

But latest prototype they were demoing on public: Crystal Cove - does optical 6DOF tracking, they put IR LEDs on the front of the helmet and track them with external IR camera, like TrackIR.

in DK1 it's not using 6DOF, in crystal cove it is using infra red led's with a IR camera for the translational tracking.

On the other hand, a keyboard might be handy sometimes.
When I began flying I couldn't understand well even my own language on the radio. Fortunately the instructor manages the radio on the firsts flights. But I was horrified imagining myself in a foreign country unable to understand critical instructions in English, just like in the video.

As a general rule, the best way to make yourself clear to a foreigner is to speak slower, stressing the separation between words, because the high speed at which we use to speak in our mother languages is what causes most trouble to a foreigner.

Rift Dev Kit 1 - tracks only 3DOF rotations with inertial sensors (Accelerometer, Gyro, Magnetometer)

But latest prototype they were demoing on public: Crystal Cove - does optical 6DOF tracking, they put IR LEDs on the front of the helmet and track them with external IR camera, like TrackIR.

Ah OK, thanks. In my experience using a PS3 Eye with IR filter removed and wide-angle LEDs, it loses track of 1 or more at about 45 degrees left or right, so I imagine that would be even more of a problem with the Rift where you don't have to keep looking at the monitor in front of you, so will be inclined to turn your head much more.

Maybe the best way round this is to automatically disable the X,Y,Z axis tracking (so that it doesn't start flipping out) when the Yaw is >x. We generally only use the X,Y,Z when facing forward or slightly to the L/R to see the wallpanels anyway, so I think this would work OK.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

As a general rule, the best way to make yourself clear to a foreigner is to speak slower, stressing the separation between words, because the high speed at which we use to speak in our mother languages is what causes most trouble to a foreigner.

Standard RT phraseology is the most important factor.

I use the hydra strapped to the rift for the positional tracking.

I really don't like the optical solution they seems to use with the Crystal Cover OR, it reminds me the very bad experience i'm having with the TrackIR5. I want to be free of looking at my back while leaning .. if I want, not to be forced to have the "visual" to a stupid camera.

I hope they will reconsider this idea.. or eventually I hope they will use the leds only to improve the 6DOF and to eventually zeroing a gyro .. and not as the only solution for the positional tracking.

Standard RT phraseology is the most important factor.
I mean in any kind of situation, like a tourist asking for some address. If you keep telling the same thing at the same speed it doesn't work. A slower pace makes a whole difference as it helps to perceive individual words in what use to be a continuous stream of sounds. That's my experience listening to english speakers.

Other rift demos using early rifts do the opposite. They placed cameras on the rift and put markers on the walls away from the user in the environment that the rift actively tracks outward. This allowed movement in a large 3d space.

Both methods work but require modification of the environment.

Other methods:

Kinnect tracks users head and body and arms

There will be many solutions for this that will have to be customized for each application to be ideal. There is no one size fits all solution to 6dof.

I do 6dof with opentrack and the sdk1. I printed a marker for the front of the rift.

It totally cures drift but isn't so good when you turn ur head and the marker can't be seen.

-michael

I use the hydra strapped to the rift for the positional tracking.

npole

Can you explain the details of using razer hydra as a pointing device in DCS? Razer Game Comfigurations settings, DCS settings?

Thanks in advance.

I9-9900K@5000, Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Dell UP3216q

VPC MongoosT-50 CM2 Stick, Base (75+100 ext.) & Throttle, BRD KG-13B, adapted to use with Warthog connector, VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals, 2 x Saitek Quadrant,

Pimax Vision 8K Plus + 2 HTC Bases + Index Controllers + DAS

A lot of 3D printed modifications for all above.

Ultimaker 2+; Hardlight Sirius

Other methods:

Kinnect tracks users head and body and arms

I did that some time ago, results are quite good but not "consumer grade" good, also it requires for quite a hectic setup. Here are some of my experiments I did back in 2011:

Edited by Mnemonic

npole

Can you explain the details of using razer hydra as a pointing device in DCS? Razer Game Comfigurations settings, DCS settings?

Thanks in advance.

You can use a modified version of opentrack, it will use the gyro in the Oculus Rift for the head tracking, plus the razer hydra (one of the controllers) for the positional tracking: you need to "strap" it on your oculus rift.

To have a cross-hair in the middle of your screen and use it as "mouse pointer" (to use the cockpit switches...) you need to modify your clickable_common .lua: use_click_and_pan_mode = true

You can use a modified version of opentrack, it will use the gyro in the Oculus Rift for the head tracking, plus the razer hydra (one of the controllers) for the positional tracking: you need to "strap" it on your oculus rift.

To have a cross-hair in the middle of your screen and use it as "mouse pointer" (to use the cockpit switches...) you need to modify your clickable_common .lua: use_click_and_pan_mode = true

Thanks a lot!

I9-9900K@5000, Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Dell UP3216q

VPC MongoosT-50 CM2 Stick, Base (75+100 ext.) & Throttle, BRD KG-13B, adapted to use with Warthog connector, VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals, 2 x Saitek Quadrant,

Pimax Vision 8K Plus + 2 HTC Bases + Index Controllers + DAS

A lot of 3D printed modifications for all above.

Ultimaker 2+; Hardlight Sirius

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping that would not happen. It almost certainly means that there will be no consumer version until the middle of next year at the earliest.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

TBH, once I hear back from a few people, if DK2 is good enough, I'll prolly order one now and not wait for the Consumer version .

I know it works with pretty much every sim I Run (DCS, iRacing, ArmAIII) etc

And is supported by Star Citizen, and DayZ

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• ED Team

price is going up $350

add shipping and taxes, and it is becoming very pricey.

I would go for DK2 but do not have the spare funds for it at the moment

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

price is going up $350

Not by as much as the performance is improving.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

price is going up $350

add shipping and taxes, and it is becoming very pricey.

I would go for DK2 but do not have the spare funds for it at the moment

I think one guy complained because shipping was $55 and Taxes was $75, lol.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Ordered. What a great day. I was gonna wait for the commercial version, but honestly I can't wait any longer. :)

Hopefully she's worth it.

$462 delivered for UK. $77 on VAT. :O, $35 for Shipping

Cowboy10uk

Edited by Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

My shipping will only be $22 if the page will ever load properly so I can finish.

Be careful with that, I had trouble with the confirm button, and now appear to have 2 different order numbers.

Whoops.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Be careful with that, I had trouble with the confirm button, and now appear to have 2 different order numbers.

Whoops.

Cowboy10uk

No problem. The page seems to think that I have not checked the box (that I have checked). Two browser and many attempts to complete means that Oculus just lost a sale.