Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

:) you can pop 40 mins down the road and try my DK2 out when she turns up Loz, if you want.

Think that should be enough to break your willpower. ;)

Cowboy10uk

Don't know why I don't get email notification of this thread (probably haven't subscribed) BUT

I may well have to take you up on your kind offer Cowboy, especially if you get DK2 :thumbup:

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 7970 works fine with OR

Lets try to narrow this down...I have a 5870 eyefinity card running Catalyst 13.12 on a 64 bit Windows 7 OS. I'm usually very good with troubleshooting but this black screen is killing me. Is your Windows 8.. 32 or 64?

Sound was already 3D long time ago, even if you use a mouse to look around - sound properly reproduced in the headphones, like sound of the engines - properly positioned.

It's pretty surprising to see this question, people use 6DOF tracking with TrackIR in DCS for ages.

YES 3D SOUND HAS ALWAYS BEEN. I CAN TRY OUT 3D SOUND ON A MONITOR BUT I DO NOT HAVE A RIFT.

Everyone talks about how good it looks WITH THE RIFT. but no mention of sound. before comments about sound were made when vorpx allowed rift to b some what funtional. i just like to hear people what people think about sound WITH THE RIFT AND WITH THE 1.2.8 OFFICIAL SUPPORT.

thanks for any comments by people who are actually using the rift.

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

YES 3D SOUND HAS ALWAYS BEEN. I CAN TRY OUT 3D SOUND ON A MONITOR BUT I DO NOT HAVE A RIFT.

Everyone talks about how good it looks WITH THE RIFT. but no mention of sound. before comments about sound were made when vorpx allowed rift to b some what funtional. i just like to hear people what people think about sound WITH THE RIFT AND WITH THE 1.2.8 OFFICIAL SUPPORT.

thanks for any comments by people who are actually using the rift.

Your question still makes no sense. The rift doesn't magically make the sound better or worse or more or less 3d. I'm sure you've asked the same question before and got the same answer.

OK my OS is Win8 64, I have DCS beta 128, I use the stereo monitor config only thing changed is the eye shift diff for everyone. I have the 1 & 2 monitors duplicated 1 is the rift it is on HDMI, 2 is a 32 inch on DVI , I have a 3rd on usb below the 2 duplicated. thats about it. dont forget DCS is funny about having monitors to the left of main but it dosn't seem to matter if they are duplicated.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

Everyone talks about how good it looks WITH THE RIFT...

Not Everyone, I have Rift DK1, and it doesn't look as good as many people talk, it's quite awful for DCS with low rez and huge pixel smearing, sorry to disappoint. This is my personal opinion, I know many guys here want to dump their hi-rez nice & comfy screens for Rift.

And I am the first hour bidder and big supporter of Palmer and Oculus, just DK1 is not suitable for DCS.

Looking forward to DK2 in July, it should be much better in many areas. Resolution wise it doesn't look to be that much better, however low persistence should eliminate smearing and OLED should bring better color reproduction.

PS: I should mention that there are other demos where DK1 works pretty good despite resolution, the ones where you don't need to see dials and gauges, or recognize vehicles on the ground.

Edited by Mnemonic

Not Everyone, I have Rift DK1, and it doesn't look as good as many people talk, it's quite awful for DCS with low rez and huge pixel smearing, sorry to disappoint. This is my personal opinion, I know many guys here want to dump their hi-rez nice & comfy screens for Rift.

And I am the first hour bidder and big supporter of Palmer and Oculus, just DK1 is not suitable for DCS.

Looking forward to DK2 in July, it should be much better in many areas. Resolution wise it doesn't look to be that much better, however low persistence should eliminate smearing and OLED should bring better color reproduction.

PS: I should mention that there are other demos where DK1 works pretty good despite resolution, the ones where you don't need to see dials and gauges, or recognize vehicles on the ground.

Thanks, finally some real info. :book:

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Your question still makes no sense. The rift doesn't magically make the sound better or worse or more or less 3d. I'm sure you've asked the same question before and got the same answer.

Gisen,

I take it as...is the sound directionally aligned with the RIFT. So if you turn your head and look at the explosion, does the sound come from the front? things like that. So I take it more from an immersion point of view.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have DK1 as well. And it doesn't look good from a resolution standpoint. I think most are talking about the immersion factor despite the resolution. I can't wait to try a sling load mission where you can open the door, lean your head out and look down towards the ground to guide yourself. That would be awesome (when the high def version comes out)

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Gisen,

I take it as...is the sound directionally aligned with the RIFT. So if you turn your head and look at the explosion, does the sound come from the front? things like that. So I take it more from an immersion point of view.

hsb

exactly.

i like to know someone who has the rift share their experience in this aspect.

i myself do not have the rift. i can go play dcs, use my mouse to change the view, and i am sure the sound will play accordingly as if i am looking left or right..

BUT WITH THE RIFT, you are in the game, so with this peripheral on, does the sound make you feel immersed as the view that one who has a rift is seeing.

if you dont have rift, please i dont want to hear any comments from you because obviously you dont know what i am talking about.

exactly.

i like to know someone who has the rift share their experience in this aspect.

i myself do not have the rift. i can go play dcs, use my mouse to change the view, and i am sure the sound will play accordingly as if i am looking left or right..

BUT WITH THE RIFT, you are in the game, so with this peripheral on, does the sound make you feel immersed as the view that one who has a rift is seeing.

if you dont have rift, please i dont want to hear any comments from you because obviously you dont know what i am talking about.

get into a plane and use the numpad to turn your head... that's all you need to do.

Rift is a Display / Head tracking combo,

the Head tracking controls the view, and the display displays it.

Sound Positioning wise nothing changes.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I have the rift. It is no different than using TIR with a monitor.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

get into a plane and use the numpad to turn your head... that's all you need to do.

Rift is a Display / Head tracking combo,

the Head tracking controls the view, and the display displays it.

Sound Positioning wise nothing changes.

i can do all these things with a regular monitor.

but what is it like when using the rift?

I DO NOT HAVE a rift to do this.

thanks!

so basically you are saying.

the experience is ok...

just ok.

Yes. Nothing special.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

thanks!

so basically you are saying.

the experience is ok...

just ok.

You expected comment like "OMG this is so bloody immersive, turn your head to the right and you hear the engines are on the right, unbelievable! It's like being there!" ?

I have DK1 as well. And it doesn't look good from a resolution standpoint. I think most are talking about the immersion factor despite the resolution.

I agree, however few times I flew in a glider as a passenger, and I could clearly see every little detail on the ground, from few kilometers altitude, this is huge part of "flying" experience, so I'm not sure if we need to negate resolution as immersion factor for this type of experiences.

Of course it's cool when cockpit looks real-life size, with proper stereoscopy, but you should be able to enjoy it not only because of that.

For example DCS looks absolutely stunning on three stereoscopic screens with nVdidia 3D Vision surround as well, one can adjust FOV to have real-sized objects, and have nice resolution at the same time. Sure it doesn't cut you from real world, but it can be plus if you use real simpit.

It is mentioned a lot CV1 version. However, the DK2 version will start to be delivered in July 2014. For this reason I am quite sure that a CV version will be on market 1 year later at best. CV2 version... other 2 years ... otherwise they will not be able to sell CV1 :). We are getting older :D...

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

it'd be nice if Oculus had a Setup Program that allows a user to configure all that stuff globally.

(ie run Oculus Setup, and go through a series of images and calibrate the display for your eyes, and if possible save individual profiles for different users).

This already exists and is integrated into the Rift developer kit. Initial setup takes you through a series of tests that allow you to establish a profile for your pupil separation, head height, eye/neck distance, etc. This profile is available to any application that has proper Rift support. Unfortunately some apps ignore the profile and cause a lot of unnecessary sickness.

You expected comment like "OMG this is so bloody immersive, turn your head to the right and you hear the engines are on the right, unbelievable! It's like being there!" ?

yep, something like that.

cause either it does or it dont... make u feel like u r there...

or maybe for one person it does, and for another it does not..

This already exists and is integrated into the Rift developer kit. Initial setup takes you through a series of tests that allow you to establish a profile for your pupil separation, head height, eye/neck distance, etc. This profile is available to any application that has proper Rift support. Unfortunately some apps ignore the profile and cause a lot of unnecessary sickness.

Correct. It is all already there and available. Your monitor settings in DCS and any monitor LUA scripts should have no effect. If they do then the implementation is wrong, if eye separation is off then the implementation is wrong, if the image doesn't fill the screen (which it doesn't) then the implementation is wrong..... On the plus side we are still in beta so I hope it will be done properly before long.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

So out of the blue my Warthog and keyboard wont work in DCS while in rift mode unless I hit the window key first. They work fine in the setup screen when I push buttons but as soon as the mission starts nothing works unless I tab out with the window key. I am running Steam DCS 1.2.8 and the newest Oculus SDK. I know steam updated a day or two ago,it may be the culprit.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog