Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Do the Rift developers not provide kits free of charge to other SIM/Game devs to facilitate possible integration/support?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the Rift developers not provide kits free of charge to other SIM/Game devs to facilitate possible integration/support?

ya, you can go to : https://developer.oculusvr.com/

sign up and download there SDK, but no free kits... man, you want something for nothing ! lol

I did manage to get 2 viewports sbs working, but not in 3d. It took me a while to get SBS blended in for my eyes. It works great, but without 1:1 headtracking, it will mess up your senses and feel unnatural. Resolution is low for DCS though... you really can't read the MFD's or HUD unless you zoom in, but it still gives you in total in cockpit experience unlike anything else. It's like being in a personal 360 degree dome, like BH was trying to build... you get that kind of feeling.

Edited by Flim

man, you want something for nothing.

What a better way to market and gain support for your product from prospective developers, even more so when said developers are reluctant to integrate support into their product.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What a better way to market and gain support for your product from prospective developers, even more so when said developers are reluctant to integrate support into their product.

When these said developers aren't interested themself in this technology and not interested to have at least one unit in their graphics department, and they also aren't able to make the rendering ready for plain stereoscopic 3d

(separating the 3d world from GUI elements and the community even does the bug-fixing : DCS world BS2 true stereoscopic HUD and howto ),..

well , maybe they should rethink if their developing strategy is consumer and future orientated.

Edited by PeterP

Well, I wish it worked that way.... but it doesn't. I was a tester like you for a while, and offered to do it again for the rift. Really, it is all software on ED side and it would only benefit them to work on this, but if they don't... it's the way the cookie crumbles.

Only reason I'm pushing this is because I love this sim and only want DCS to succeed. I have always thought an HMD of high quality would be most immersive option in home simulation.

Edited by Flim

Well, I wish it worked that way.... but it doesn't....

Hey, you never know until you try. If it has been tried, then well, so be it. If it has not been tried, well then, certainly something that the Rift Devs need to ponder over - it's a two-way street.

I just remember years ago when, as shopkeepers, my folks used to get a helluva lot of free sample goods from reps of various companies. Granted yes, not the same circumstances but definitely a similar principle, ie 'we want your business and if a free sample aids in getting said business, then it's a win-win'.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey, you never know until you try. If it has been tried, then well, so be it. If it has not been tried, well then, certainly something that the Rift Devs need to ponder over - it's a two-way street.

I just remember years ago when, as shopkeepers, my folks used to get a helluva lot of free sample goods from reps of various companies. Granted yes, not the same circumstances but definitely a similar principle, ie 'we want your business and if a free sample aids in getting said business, then it's a win-win'.

I've got one right here... if Matt wanted it--- here you go! I'll be happy to hand it over if they would work on integration... most of the big Developers are still waiting to get this thing!

Edited by Flim

We could all put some cash together and send one to ED from Oculus directly? Anybody know their shipping address? :D

I'm sure once the devs test it, they will consider support in DCS a very viable thing themselves.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

maybe they should rethink if their developing strategy is consumer and future orientated.

Maybe they don't want to invest a lot of dev time on an image generator that is going to be obsolete in the forseeable future. Not saying that this is what is happening, just a possibility to consider.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

As already said, if they want it they would have one on order. $300 isnt going to break the bank and if anyone bought one for ED it would be $300 wasted on their part until ED want to do something about it.

It would cost ED considerably more than $300 to integrate it and that cost + resource is no doubt why they are not thinking about it right now. Especially for something that isnt commercially available or proven.

As much as I _do_ want them to adopt it......

As already said, if they want it they would have one on order. $300 isnt going to break the bank and if anyone bought one for ED it would be $300 wasted on their part until ED want to do something about it.

It would cost ED considerably more than $300 to integrate it and that cost + resource is no doubt why they are not thinking about it right now. Especially for something that isnt commercially available or proven.

As much as I _do_ want them to adopt it......

Other small studios such as Bohemia Interactive have already confirmed support for the rift. Big people in the industry such as John Carmack are behind this project, it cannot fail. :D

I would love to be able to use the rift in DCS, it would be my dream come true. Total immersion. It isn't complicated to integrate either, and performance loss would be low. The low latency head tracking built into the rift would also be great.

Edited by jamesr20

Maybe in the future it will be the same for HMD's

Oculus rift or similar will be the new standard for flight sims.

T is the first time you can look down to the ground and feel the height. Trackir was necessary for fs to orientate and not have to use the coolie hat, next step is a full fullscreen.

No doubt, no way to escape. Rift or die :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've been playing around with the Rift more... added track IR and got the view matched pretty well. The res is low, but you really feel like your in the plane. I can't wait for a high res screen, because this will be the only way to fly the virtual skies.

The future looks very exciting/excited ;)

Do you have by chance a Leap motion on preorder? The combination must be a real treat in DCS.

Is the latency in the TrackIR low enough for it to be used in conjunction with the Rift without wanting to puke?

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I've been playing around with the Rift more... added track IR and got the view matched pretty well. The res is low, but you really feel like your in the plane. I can't wait for a high res screen, because this will be the only way to fly the virtual skies.

please put a video on youtube!!!

my dream is for ED to support oculus rift, and plus the future release of the AH-1J cobra (or Mi24 Hind)

i to have a virtual experience piloting a tandem seat helo in coooperative play is my dream come true... i will live in DCS should they release the apache...

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

The future looks very exciting/excited ;)

Do you have by chance a Leap motion on preorder? The combination must be a real treat in DCS.

Is the latency in the TrackIR low enough for it to be used in conjunction with the Rift without wanting to puke?

Not sure what you are asking, but TrackIR is not needed with the Rift. The Rift has it's own accelerometers and tracking ability.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT