Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

I'm a bit bummed out by their setup. An old sidewinder? really? This is E3!! I would let them borrow my center mounted warthog and saitek pedals! Wish they would have put more emphasis on good hardware and presentation :(.

I don't think he's flying the plane in the demo, just watching a track file and trying out the rift with EDGE.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
I'm a bit bummed out by their setup. An old sidewinder? really? This is E3!! I would let them borrow my center mounted warthog and saitek pedals! Wish they would have put more emphasis on good hardware and presentation :(.

I gotta say, I love my Sidewinder FF 2 stick. ;)

haha. Okay Okay. You know what I mean though. It's a show so it's all about getting interest! Funny I was just thinking about the videos you put together Amraam! They should have a few large displays showing your videos as promos and maybe find a few guys on here that are willing to ship their systems,cockpit setups, and themselves to E3. Flim! we should have some your awesome Aces II setups there. Imagine an A-10 setup, a huey setup, and an F-15 setup at the booth with 3 guys in multiplayer running oculus! We could even have a couple hardcore sim squadron guys to head out there and actually show how the game should be played. It would intrigue the audience for sure. It would have a huge crowd! The press and crowd could then see how effectively the 6 DOF system works in DCS in combination with a complex combat environment.

^^^

You do realize that E3 will charge a small fortune for a booth that big.

The space itself cost $30,000 – 600 square feet is the smallest space offered

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/16/breaking-down-the-cost-of-an-e3-booth/

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yeah that's definitely true. I'm sure you can get creative with 600 sq ft although I'll stop ratting since I'm sure ED has their reasons for their setup at E3. It was just some constructive criticism to help foster some thoughts to promote DCS to the masses :music_whistling: All in good spirit...

$30k for a booth! Did ED get any press coverage for their money? I've been looking at E3 coverage and have seen nothing apart from the screen shots on the previous pages. I know ED had some issues the first few days. Looks like an expensive week for little return!

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

$30k for a booth! Did ED get any press coverage for their money? I've been looking at E3 coverage and have seen nothing apart from the screen shots on the previous pages. I know ED had some issues the first few days. Looks like an expensive week for little return!

ED did not have a booth. They were in the Oculus booth and had a, guessing here, hotel room for appointments.

EDIT: Btw, 30k is just for the floor space, electrical outlets and everything else you need are extra. The 'booth' and other structures are on you as well.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

No wonder games are so expensive these days. That's daylight robbery if it is actually true...

I can't speak directly to E3 pricing but having been involved in many US Government/DOD trade shows, I don't doubt that the prices quoted in the article are genuine. They do charge you for every little thing too!!

I wouldnt mind donating a little money to allow ED to have a booth at E3 for next year. What do you guys think about an DCS 2015 E3 fund? :pilotfly: Just a thought. Do you think its worth DCS having a booth at E3? or do you think the audience is not going to have interest regardless?

52,461 members on her, $1 each should get a nice Little area and booth :D

Half of those are bots.

Here is an interesting Reddit post that someone did,they did a benchmark test of a bunch of DK1 demos with a GTX 780ti and posted all the results in an excel type format. I got him to do the same with DCS.

Here is the Reddit

Here is the link to the spreadsheet.https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap1tj3id9aG_dFhfelVMM2NXb3NuVkl0aVRTQmtVd1E&usp=drive_web#gid=2

Here is the link for just the DCS results

ci9e9er
Edited by blksolo
  • Like 1

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Interesting, and thanks.

Here is an interesting Reddit post that someone did,they did a benchmark test of a bunch of DK1 demos with a GTX 780ti and posted all the results in an excel type format. I got him to do the same with DCS.

Here is the Reddit

Here is the link to the spreadsheet.https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap1tj3id9aG_dFhfelVMM2NXb3NuVkl0aVRTQmtVd1E&usp=drive_web#gid=2

Here is the link for just the DCS results

ci9e9er

I struggled to maintain 30FPS with all graphics settings on low with a DK1 and I have a GTX680 and i7 2600k. I think we will probably need to wait for EDGE to get acceptable nausea free FPS for the DK2/CV1 oculus release.

It's phenomenal but you cant read anything in the cockpit because of the low resolution,and if youre talking DK1 there is also motion blur.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Yes, don't buy DK1 expecting to be able to use it for actually gaming, DK2's haven't shipped yet so nobody knows how much of an improvement they are but they are still a developer kit too, but if you simply want to see what the fuss is about then you are in for a treat even with a DK1, you will try it out and the light will come on and you will realise it's the future.

Zoom with Oculus rift and oculus setting in DCS

Just starting to try the new built in oculus settings in DCS instead of a modded stereo.lua file with my DK1. Dk2 hasn't arrived yet.

I can't figure out how to get the oculus to zoom in or out in any aircraft?

Has anyone had any luck setting any of the zoom controls and zooming while using the built in rift support?

So far the resolution dumping to 1280x800 and and lack of nice AA makes things look much worse than when I don't use built in support and run a modded stereo.lua file. I can actually read many guages in teh P-51 in stereo mode using openflight. The rendering is much better but I don't have propper warping. The warping works with built in support and tracking is better but I can't seem to get zoom to work. I might accept the slightly worse rendering of the warping if I could get zoom to work so I could read guages. Any one get zoom to work with the built in rift support? If so How.

Thanks much,

-michael

I dont think there is any way to zoom in if you have the rift on,sometimes I use trackir with the rift for 6 degrees of freedom but trackir is so finnicky that it is unplayable with that combination,if you have both you should try it tho.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus support really needs zoom implemented!

I dont think there is any way to zoom in if you have the rift on,sometimes I use trackir with the rift for 6 degrees of freedom but trackir is so finnicky that it is unplayable with that combination,if you have both you should try it tho.

The current rift support without zoom and poor rendering is pretty much unusable for me. I'd use it if I had no choice but stereo mode with open flight and zoom is MUCH better than the current support.

I'm sure they'll keep improving it.

IMHO I think zoom is needed to play this simulation even with the DK2 you need to option to zoom to see things. The resolution isn't up to human eyes and to get a good look at instruments and things on the ground you need zoom working.

Just started learning to fly the HUEY and loving it in the RIFT. Awesome.

Did engine start and flew around a bunch. Inspired me. Going to attempt weapons training tonight with rift. Super cool. Might even take me out of the P-51 for a while. The SU-33 carrier landing took me away from ground pounding the P-51 for several days. Also super cool.

Thanks,

-michael

6dof with open track

I can use open track with a webcam to get decent six dof in Dk1 with stereo mode. But I'd rather have more accurate tracking and just zoom which works with open track and stereo mode just fine.

-michael