Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3

Wags

I think they started too many software projects at the same time, now we got a bunch of apprehensive customers. I think they should go step by step...finish the Nevada scenery, put it out as an add-on package and charge $ for it, then move on to DCS World, finish it, release it, the finish all their beta packages and get them to release status before announcing additional projects. I am now skeptical on the quality and stability of recently released projects.

It doesn't work that way - different teams work on different projects - you can't assign 3d modellers to get code done quicker. Things are done in parallel, because overall it is far more efficient.

Nate

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't work that way - different teams work on different projects - you can't assign 3d modellers to get code done quicker. Things are done in parallel, because overall it is far more efficient.

That would be the case unless there are no parallel 3d projects or parallel coding projects at present.

Considering there are serious DCS: World bugs, FC3 testing (and maybe some new features), the DCS: Next, the Nevada map and all the delays, it seems rather unlikely that it's so.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I think it's ethereal that has the quote "Getting 9 women pregnant won't get you a baby in 1 month" (sorry if I've butchered the quote)

In essence, throwing everybody on 1 project will not produce faster results, but will waste resources enormously.

Nate

"Getting 9 women pregnant won't get you a baby in 1 month"

So True!!

...but

Getting 9 women pregnant in one month will get you nine baby's in 9 months!

(That is one baby each month when looking at it on a pure statistical way:))

Edited by PeterP

I think it's ethereal that has the quote "Getting 9 women pregnant won't get you a baby in 1 month" (sorry if I've butchered the quote)

In essence, throwing everybody on 1 project will not produce faster results, but will waste resources enormously.

Nate

you mean resources being your spe.... actually nevermind

I think you're missing the location of the theatre in FC, it's hardly Nevada. Plus I wouldn't really call the MiG29A, C and G 3 completely different aircraft, more like a MiG29C and some downgraded versions one German and one Russian. Likewise with the Flanker, virtually identical aircraft. The same can be said for the Frogfoot, you have full T version or a lite version.

Calling for another advanced 21st century aircraft to fight against low tech 20th century Russian hardware is pretty strange. There is already a large tech gulf in class between the F-15C in FC and the Russian fighters, why add to it.

Now regarding the server, how in your opinion is there a favouritism towards Red and how would you balance this out?

About the mig variants, thats why I said "Depending on how you choose to count" Define 21st century, because everything in the FC version of the F-15C is tech designed, tested and operational pre-2000. I don't think anyone which revision of the 120C is in game, not that they are modeled with 100% accuracy anyway, first made available in 1996. The newest tech is probably the TEWS, also depending on which version is modeled. According to the stats I'm more effective with the AIM-7s anyway. You're certainly not struggling to defend yourself against F-15s. If we had AESA radar, JHMCS, and AIM9x then things would be more 21st century. The latter 2 alone would put the F15C on par with the Russian jets capabilites WVR. An F-18C with similar revisional limitations to the Eagle doesn't seem unreasonable.

I was semi-joking about the favoratism, but at least one of your missions has EWR on the red side allowing you to see inbound bandits on your datalink, not needing radar until you're right on top of them. No blue AWACS, which I know works differently from EWR, but no blue forces have EWR. Which reminds me of something else missing from the "21st century" F15C, datalink.

• ED Team

cheer us all up and give us some NEW screenshots or a video from FC3 :)

It will distract us from the multiplayer server/client bug lol

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Regarding Red vs. Blue balance, the fact that DCS takes place in Russia/Georgia means that situations are hypothetical anyway. The 51st server has awesome mission design, and keeping a strict plane selection based on East vs. West is great, as it is closer to reality.

Saying that, having both East and West jets available to both Red and Blue does not bother a lot of people and gives different options. Personally, I enjoy the realism of flight/combat simulation the most. Hypothetical scenarios don't bother me and have certain advantages.

When someday we get more theaters to fly in, we''ll be able to recreate historical senarios much more, but having the same jets on both sides, and jets from different eras will make things interesting as well. I am looking forward to flying the P-51 as an option for ground pounding.

Theater not withstanding, its a matter of US military craft VS Russian military craft. In the interest of realism, its unlikely the US would find itself going head to head against its own hardware. Not current hardware anyway. On the flipside Russia sells to damn near everyone, that isn't NATO. Or more accurately countries that don't buy US exports, or build their own. The probability that some of these countries end up being unfriendly with each other is probably much higher. Maybe the US will end up having to battle those F-14s they gave Iran forever ago.

cheer us all up and give us some NEW screenshots or a video from FC3 :)

It will distract us from the multiplayer server/client bug lol

THIS ^

L'important n'est pas de tuer, mais de survivre.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you read this you are too curious

lolwut! It seems like 1 out of every 3 times I go for a Sparrow kill, I lose my lock and panic trying to find my target again. I tip my hat to you, sir. :thumbup:

If you're really quick about reacquiring your target the missile will continue to track, you just won't have TTI counter anymore. It helps tremendously if you have some form of HOTAS stick, with all radar controls mapped to it. The X-52 throttle kicks so much more ass in that department compared to the CH pro that I have now.

I get your point, but my point was - throwing limited resources on too many parallel projects won't get you fast ahead neither (not saying that ED is doing exactly that, just trying to say that these pronouns are maybe not applicable here).

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I get your point, but my point was - throwing limited resources on too many parallel projects won't get you fast ahead neither (not saying that ED is doing exactly that, just trying to say that these pronouns are maybe not applicable here).

I understand. It is up to ED to find that balance, after all their livelihood depends upon getting that balance right.

Nate

If we had AESA radar, JHMCS, and AIM9x then things would be more 21st century. The latter 2 alone would put the F15C on par with the Russian jets capabilites WVR.

Huh? the F-15C is already on par with the Russian jets in WVR combat. An AIM-9X would simply be overkill.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Huh? the F-15C is already on par with the Russian jets in WVR combat. An AIM-9X would simply be overkill.

You don't think the helmet-mounted cueing system in both the Mig and Su give a significant advantage? Up until the initial merge, I would agree that there's nothing particularly unbalanced, but in a turning fight I think it's much more effective pointing your head at something rather than your entire plane.

I'm not saying they should just throw in JHMCS and the AIM-9X, though. Historically speaking, it's accurate the way it is. The Russians had the edge against the -9M. Still, it's always nice to have more weapon options than fewer.

You don't think the helmet-mounted cueing system in both the Mig and Su give a significant advantage? Up until the initial merge, I would agree that there's nothing particularly unbalanced, but in a turning fight I think it's much more effective pointing your head at something rather than your entire plane
If an F-15 armed with slammers gets into a turning fight he deserves to die cause he shouldn't be there in the first place :D

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Head-on the R-27ET can be fired ~2nm earlier than the AIM-9M, if know that you should be expecting it evasion is relatively easy though. In a merge the Russian jets can acquire and fire an R-73 using the HMD, well ahead of the what it takes to pull the whole F-15 into position.

You don't think the helmet-mounted cueing system in both the Mig and Su give a significant advantage?

I'm not saying they should just throw in JHMCS and the AIM-9X, though. Historically speaking, it's accurate the way it is. The Russians had the edge against the -9M. Still, it's always nice to have more weapon options than fewer.

Yes, and no, the F-15 turns faster than the Russian birds (faster, not tighter), so should be able to stay behind the bandit's line, making the R-73 pretty useless (it can't fire backwards).

As for historical accuracy, if F-16C Blk. 30's can get the new HMS, I am pretty sure that F-15C's would be able to use them. And the F-15C modeled in sim isn't of a specific model. It has a range of tech that really isn't very time period specific. Until ED decides what period of F-15C they have built, I don't think realism is much of a factor when it comes to implementing missile systems. That being said, I don't think that they will. Who knows though, I could get pleasantly surprised. And then the forums will crash from too much Russian whining.

No, AIM-120N. Makes things simple.

You think people have a problem with mad dogging now? :D

• Like 1

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.