Some details of FC3 AFM Missile Improvements

Wags

I dread to think about adapting my stats software (again!)

Remind me to send you a PM about that eventually. :music_whistling:

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As many as you need. Even in RL training a single hit is not always considered a kill.

Single not mean 6. I did not expect sensational response because:

... we already have FC3 improvements in FC2.

Please don`t improve it again.

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

R-77=AMRAAM in FC2, whats your point?

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Even if the R-77 and AIM-120 do that in FC3, the AFM should make such a turn very draggy.

Still, it could be annoying for a missile to fly overhead and into RWR blind spot.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Quit your whining. Not only has the same YT poster posted an 'anti-amraam maneuver' video that's related to the one you posted, you've already been told why things some times take 6 missiles to kill. Don't like it? Don't play with high-latency or jittery people.

As for the 'mad dog', it isn't really a mad-dogged missile, either.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Dont worry HiJack he is in the right hands for all the help he needs. Im his psychologist, Soviet his Doctor, Breakshot his surgeon, Frostie as anesthetic doctor, Shaman as spirituell help and X-man as chief-nurse whit all the cadets running around her asking what Case need :)

Sounds like he is in good hands :no:

(HJ)

Even if the R-77 and AIM-120 do that in FC3, the AFM should make such a turn very draggy.

Still, it could be annoying for a missile to fly overhead and into RWR blind spot.

Missile AFM wil not make any difference if this can still happen in FC3 and is not fixed. It's not so much how the missiles turn (due to their FM) but how they track and if they can acquire target like in this video FC3 will be same as FC2.

No longer active in DCS...

Missile AFM wil not make any difference if this can still happen in FC3 and is not fixed. It's not so much how the missiles turn (due to their FM) but how they track and if they can acquire target like in this video FC3 will be same as FC2.

I understand that FM makes no difference to the sensors, but with AFM the missiles might dump energy so fast with such a turn that they would become useless. If the missile made a turn like that from below, drag and gravity would almost certainly negate it. Even if it was a case like in the video, and gravity was helping, the missile would basically be starting from a standstill and have very low acceleration (for a missile). It probably wouldn't be able to maneuver.

There is also AoA, which would affect seeker gimbal limits if they are modeled properly, and might make those turns that are tight enough to exploit seeker performance impossible to complete while tracking the target.

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

That is of no help at all, if an active missile maddog was to kill you in FC2 because of insane seaker target acquire it'll do the same in FC3 (in this scenario where maddog missile is high and aircraft is low so gravity can assist the missile)

That is of no help at all, if an active missile maddog was to kill you in FC2 because of insane seaker target acquire it'll do the same in FC3 (in this scenario where maddog missile is high and aircraft is low so gravity can assist the missile)

Not necessarily.

Even if it was a case like in the video, and gravity was helping, the missile would basically be starting from a standstill and have very low acceleration (for a missile). It probably wouldn't be able to maneuver.

The missile will basically become a free fall bomb. At such high altitude, the air is thin, and going slow will severely cripple maneuverability.

Now of course, we do need "AFM seekers" to really correct the problem, but the new missile physics could help reduce the number of headaches from this issue.

Actually maddogs won't. Missiles whose MCU's have been cut off might. On the other hand, realistically a missile with MCU's cut off would still be coming at you, instead of trying to reach for the moon. At this point though Exorcet is probably quite correct about the AFM effect on such a turn. The missile will bleed so much speed that its controls will become ineffective.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Can you do this test with FC3 beta and confirm instead of guessing? Aircraft lose their speed also but if they point the nose down they accelerate and pick up speed and can manouver again, missile should do the same. If it has enough speed to make that turn (no matter how slow) and starts pointing down it should have no problem getting to low flying aircraft it acquired.

The missile has no thrust though; sure, it'll accelerate while falling, and whether it actually hits you or not might depend on when exactly it acquires and from how far, but kinematically these aren't FC2 missiles any longer. And like I said.

I don't think confirming it or not will change anything with respect to the sensors. In any case, it evens out the other problem - lack of INS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens when it's released.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

What I'm hearing is that missiles will fly more real to life but the extremely broken seeker problem will still be present. If thats the case I could give a damn how realistic the missile flies. I'm taking a wait and see stance. Let someone else waste their money on pretty new graphics when things are still broken under the hood.

• Like 1

The fact alone that the missiles will fly proper will minimize the shortcomings of the seekers, no longer will they snap manuever, and I also noticed years ago, missile speed impacts doppler tracking and resistence to clutter noise, AFM will make them faster, not capped at 3000km/h with airbrake like drag factors.

My PC specs below:

The fact alone that the missiles will fly proper will minimize the shortcomings of the seekers, no longer will they snap manuever, and I also noticed years ago, missile speed impacts doppler tracking and resistence to clutter noise, AFM will make them faster, not capped at 3000km/h with airbrake like drag factors.

Wow you still hang around here Pilotasso? You’re a real vet of ED products and I don’t blame you lol. Nice to see you still hang around. Hopefully will meet up in virtual skies of FC3. Either as friend or Foe, I will always give my best lol :smilewink: I've been out of the loops from a while, but willing to get back in shape :) As I remember you are still the red baron? lol Comming to getch ya lol

Edited by TheMoose

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

Barely flying anymore, but thanks :thumbsup:

My PC specs below:

Barely flying anymore, but thanks :thumbsup:

Guys don't take his rust out the stick as serious, This dude knows how to fly in ED world, trust me. Flew againt him and with him, he is a serious virtual fly boy... lol

one of the best that I know off, Is Mustang still around? I miss this dude...

:D

Edited by TheMoose

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

Guys don't take his rust out the stick as serious, This dude knows how to fly in ED world, trust me. Flew againt him and with him, he is a serious virtual fly boy... lol

one of the best that I know off, Is Mustang still around? I miss this dude...

:D

Yeah Mustangs around, http://forums.eagle.ru/member.php?u=3595

Does a load of mods.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

We added a longitudinal-load fuze arming type. The missile warhead of missile will only be armed after reaching the assigned longitudinal g-load (acceleration). Otherwise the missile will not detonate.

Basically, missile won't arm without a target

We added parameters of loft trajectory. The initial range to target, the range of transition to proportional navigation, and initial angle of loft are all factored.

Missiles fired at long range will loft, using altitude to increase speed and maneuverability when they finally reach the target. Missile launches in FC3 should happen at longer ranges than in FC2.

Missile arming as a function of Longitudinal G is quite common. Amongst other things it guards against a really soft rocket launch. The last thing you need is say for example the influence fuse to arm as soon as the missile comes of the rail in a soft shot ... might just go "Bal-fang" on yourself.

On some types Impact fusing and influence/prox fuse arming are based on different things. In some cases the Impact fuse is armed based on time post electrical launch and prox fuses based on minimum longitudinal G achieved post launch.