Don't forget the hook

SUBS17

4 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

No, I mean like the C-130:
https://theaviationist.com/2014/07/16/c-130-land-on-carrier/

A loaded Herc, no less. 🙂 Anything with a similar short field capability and a similar wingspan could do that.

😉

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

This was an U-2G, a specially redesigned carrier-capable version of the U-2. Quite unique, only three in existence, but there's nothing unusual about it. It wasn't a non-carrier plane landing on a carrier by virtue of the sheer STOL capacity, the U-2G had to add lift dumpers, strengthened landing gear and hook in order to be possible to land on a carrier.

The Herc, in the meantime, was completely unmodified, and didn't use the arrestor hook to land, it just stopped very quickly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 6:50 PM, Robert31178 said:

You'd have an emergency alright....it would need new landing gear and probably a session or two on an alignment jig. 

The cool thing about DCS is airplanes are stocked like Linus kept extra pianos.  No re-alignment needed...just pull a fresh F15 out of stores and here you go!  Have fun with it!

I've broken more F-18Cs than were ever made and never got so much as a whiny-gram from the DoD.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm almost twenty-thirtynine, and I still get bummed out when I park my I-16 in the nuke hanger in Incirlik and they won't mount up those two B-61s.  I know the I-16 carries bombs; I've seen 'em under the wings!  Bloody ground crew takes off for lunch and leave a pair of purple meanies in the hanger and I have no way to hang them!

It would be cool to have arresting gear (air force style) on runways.  It would be even cooler to have IFOLS and a box painted on the runways.  The ROI on these kinds of things is vanishingly small, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be cool.  Just like it would be cool to have those B-61s. 

Totally useless, but cool.

On 5/26/2021 at 10:44 PM, Raisuli said:

I'm almost twenty-thirtynine, and I still get bummed out when I park my I-16 in the nuke hanger in Incirlik and they won't mount up those two B-61s.  I know the I-16 carries bombs; I've seen 'em under the wings!  Bloody ground crew takes off for lunch and leave a pair of purple meanies in the hanger and I have no way to hang them!

It would be cool to have arresting gear (air force style) on runways.  It would be even cooler to have IFOLS and a box painted on the runways.  The ROI on these kinds of things is vanishingly small, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be cool.  Just like it would be cool to have those B-61s. 

Totally useless, but cool.

There's nothing cool about nuclear bombs....
Also it would be totally useless for RB to make the emergency hook work if there is no airfield arresting gear that works with it. so again, pointless

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

7 hours ago, FoxOne007 said:

There's nothing cool about nuclear bombs....

Also it would be totally useless for RB to make the emergency hook work if there is no airfield arresting gear that works with it. so again, pointless

Not cool to you perhaps but cool to other people. 

Arrestor hooks may be pointless but come on, why not just model the hook to at least fall down. It's supposed to be full fidelity after all and we're paying for it. 

I know it's a small detail but small details add up, for example things like circuit breakers are awesome immersion wise. I love the fact that circuit breakers are modeled and present on most ED modules such as the fa18, a10c, huey, mi8 (f16c? F5e?), I don't know if other third parties do it but I'd be very happy and confident in flying a module that has those small touches. The fact that circuit breakers aren't modeled on the mirage 2000 of course isn't a deal breaker but in my head I can't help but think it's a bit lazy to not add those pretty simple things (relatively speaking) . 

So that's why I'd like to see the arrestor hook animated, we're supposed to be getting a full fidelity module and there's not much excuse for not having small touches like these (of course, I can wait till early access ends for small details to come). 

Edited by notproplayer3
  • Like 1

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2021 at 7:51 PM, Nahen said:

Is there a working emergency stop system at any airport in DCS today? No. So, for what the working tail hook if nothing can catch it?

Its all i this theme.

What's the harm in modelling the hook? For all we know, there could be working barrier arresting systems introduced to DCS in the future.

• Like 2

Everybody said: "That's impossible!" Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Flying the A-10C for the 107th Joint Aviation Squadron

Developing and creating missions for Through The Inferno

Join the TTI Discord

On 7/19/2021 at 11:54 AM, Recoil16 said:

What's the harm in modelling the hook? For all we know, there could be working barrier arresting systems introduced to DCS in the future.

Yea answer is before F-15E or after it? 😉 I vote no sonner than 2-3 years... 😞