Windows XP SP2 Dual Core Performance Hot Fix Download

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

I read 169th mustangs previous thread about th is, but when i checked the M$ website, it said the hotfix was for mobile/laptops and that if you wanted the fix, you had to phone M$ and pay them for it, like wtf m8, but if this fix pertains to me, then S! for finding it. I will admit my pc isnt slow, but as of lately it has been kinda pissing me off with slow downs here and there, especially the 60-120 second shutdown time, whereas before it was like 10, but startup is still a good 15-20max seconds, so i aint complaining. also do you know, if this fix is only when your clock changes speeds and it cocks up then ? when it comes out of power saving mode. as thats what the last thread was about, and it said it only applies to mobile/laptops with most version of windows.

• 3 months later...

Windows XP SP2 Dual Core Performance Hot Fix Download

http://www.amdzone.com/files/WinXPdualcorehotfix.exe

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3964

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256

Windows XP SP2 is required on computers that have multiple CPUs that support ACPI processor performance states. This requirement includes computers that support the following items:

• Multiple physical sockets

• Multiple-core designs

• Multiple logical threads such as Intel HyperThreading Technology

Windows XP was not originally designed to support processor performance states on computers that have multiple processors. Therefore, changes are required to support processor performance states on computers that have multiple processors. Windows XP SP2 includes changes to the kernel power manager. These changes make it possible for the kernel power manager to work correctly on computers that have multiple processors that support processor performance states.

[endquote]

I was in the verge of re installing my Xp pro. Due that, I thought that my system was getting more ”laggy” then usual. Thinking about it. I’ve thought to myself, maybe it’s because I’ve installed service pack 2. Lagging especially when jumping from intense applications to desktop then back again.

So digging into the issue I found this link on a AMD site, lol reading between the line, I saw HyperThreading. So told myself what the hell. Since I was going to re install the OS anyway.

Installed it, tested it. My OS regain the youth it lacked therein. So I guess I works not only on Dual Processors. But also with single Intel processors with hyperthreading enable.

No guys, don't expect too much from that. This '896256' is a magic number in many forums. And you might really be pissed, that MicrosShit wants you to phone them to get this hotfix (claim by MS: this affects only very vew users, so it's just a hotfix, not an update, real fix or whatever and hence the very vew have to contact them personally).

Well, if you want it: Google! Google is your friend (at least that's what somebody in this forum told me some days ago);)

Be sure, you will find that hotfix for different languages somewhere. But at least for me it didn't do nothing. Installed it on my game partition and couldn't see any improvement. Did the same on my apps partition and experienced the same: nothing. Well, nevertheless, try it out. Maybe for your system or config it's the holy grail. I left it on my apps drive, who knows, which proggi might someday take advantage of it; and I've got Cool'n'Quiet driver installed there. But for my games partition without C'n'Q drivers I called 'DriveImage Restore' to get it clean again.

Its has been proven in other forums that reinstalling the os and any MB bios update for the support will give you the support for the X2. This proof can be found in cpu tests in sandra. example: a score of 11000 will turn into about double that in the math tests. This is a widley noted thing for msi neo platinum boards that so far support all X2 Cpu's and has so far been the fix for real X2 performance.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

Ok I've got the X2 4200+ flavor, and absolutely no problems. But and here is a big but, I don't have Cool & Quiet enabled in my BIOS and I don't have the C&Q drivers installed in Windows. I figured better to be cool then quiet and yes the Cooler Master Stacker case does help to get very very cool :D . So there seems to be a link between C&Q and a lot of problems peeps are having.

Its has been proven in other forums that reinstalling the os and any MB bios update for the support will give you the support for the X2. This proof can be found in cpu tests in sandra. example: a score of 11000 will turn into about double that in the math tests. This is a widley noted thing for msi neo platinum boards that so far support all X2 Cpu's and has so far been the fix for real X2 performance.

Just tested in Sandra with my Asus A8N-E BIOS revision 1008:

Dhrystones: 20001

Whetstones: 8850

So if I get the MSI board I'll get around 40000 and 18000 WOW :icon_supe

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

I think it also states that, its only for use with cool n quiet/ power managment features.

I.E.

if you dont use a program that auto changes the clock speed of your cpu on the fly, then the patch is useless.

As it sorted a problem that when changing cpu freq on the fly, it would stick at the lower speed of around 1000mhz ish ( thus the decreased performance).

Basically if you use on the fly power managment programs then yes, get the download, if you dont use PM programs then it isnt needed and you will see no effect.

It is most advisable to get the patch if you use a laptop...

Kindred I'm just yankin your chain:p No offence dude. And yes if you have something like C&Q on your system the patch could resolve some problems.

Edit: (says to oneself read before you write.) The SisoftSandra remark wasn't a reaction on any of your posts. So Kindred what's the problem concerning my first post? In that post I stated that I didn't have any problems but thats maybe because I didn't have any C&Q software installed. And what has being a tweaker to do with MS?

Kindred I'm just yankin your chain:p No offence dude. And yes if you have something like C&Q on your system the patch could resolve some problems.

Edit: (says to oneself read before you write.) The SisoftSandra remark wasn't a reaction on any of your posts. So Kindred what's the problem concerning my first post? In that post I stated that I didn't have any problems but thats maybe because I didn't have any C&Q software installed. And what has being a tweaker to do with MS?

No prob dude, :D I do use cpu pwr management, so this fix or "tweak" did apply for me. No big improvement, but some...

Cheers

Ok I've got the X2 4200+ flavor, and absolutely no problems. But and here is a big but, I don't have Cool & Quiet enabled in my BIOS and I don't have the C&Q drivers installed in Windows. I figured better to be cool then quiet and yes the Cooler Master Stacker case does help to get very very cool :D . So there seems to be a link between C&Q and a lot of problems peeps are having.

Most people are skipping the cool and quite stuff . Now dont take my word for it but I want to think there was a reason that wasnt going to jive or simply wasnt needed with X2.

And actually LOL your 20000 over 8000 is where it should be already :)

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/