Military and Aviation News Thread (NO DISCUSSION)

topol-m

New York times is now backing off its original story about the pictures.

http://rt.com/news/154548-pictures-russian-troops-false/

Thanks for posting this!

Apparently this backing off concerns only select photos from over ten pages presented in Geneva. If you stumble upon any details regarding the rest of the materials, please post them as well or send me a PM if you feel it's not fit for this thread.

• Like 1

France to send four Rafale fighter jets on Baltic security duty

(Reuters) - France will send four Rafale fighter jets to Poland next week as part of a show of NATO commitment to Central Europe and the Baltic states, which have been rattled by the escalation of tensions between Russia and Ukraine.

The four warplanes will be sent to Malbork in northern Poland on April 28 on a double mission: to train the Polish air force and stand ready for air patrols over the Baltic states under NATO command, the French defense ministry said.

Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian visited Poland and the Baltics last month to reassure them on security, and will go to Malbork on April 29 as the French pilots start their four-month mission. […]

Mi-8 helicopter explodes at Kramatorsk airport in Ukraine’s east.

43a10af05a51.jpg

Edited by Namenlos Ein

Interesting article about an aircraft that runs on batteries (German only, unfortunately, but I'll translate headline and abstract):

Airbus stellt nach erfolgreichem Jungfernflug Elektroflugzeug vor

E-Fan heißt das neue Elektroflugzeug von Airbus. Die klimafreundliche Propellermaschine hatte bereits im März ihren erfolgreichen Jungfernflug, nun präsentiert sie der Flugzeugbauer öffentlich.

Airbus presents electro aircraft after successful maiden flight

Airbus' new electro aircraft is called E-Fan. The climate-friendly propeller aircraft had its maiden flight in March, now the aircraft company presented it to the public.

Apparently the disappearance of MH370 might lead to use of new technologies in the future. For a lack of links and references, this German language article is the only source I've found so far.

ITU plant internationalen Standard für Echtzeitüberwachung von Flugzeugen

Die Internationale Fernmeldeunion will in Malaysia Vertreter der Flugzeug- und der IT-Industrie zusammenbringen, um in der Folge des rätselhaften Verschwindens des malaysischen Flugs MH370 verbesserte Überwachungsverfahren zu entwickeln.

ITU plans international standard for real-time surveillance of aircraft

In order to develop better surveillance methods, the International Telecommunications Union wants to bring together representatives of both the Aerospace- and the IT-Industry in Malaysia following the mysterious disappearance of Malaysian flight MH370.

I've seen info on massive aircraft transfer, Russia-Crimea. During the last weekend(?). Has anyone got a source? I've seen Ukrinform stated as the source but I can't seem to find anything on the said website.

Other news from Ukrinform:

- France has suspended military cooperation with Russia

- A Mi-24 pilot (Ukr.) has been released by the separatists/fighters*

*What has happened to the rest of the crew of the 24's shot down?

• 2 weeks later...

Worst floods in 120 years hit Balkans (mainly Bosnia and Hercegovina and Serbia). Serbian police and military helicopters rescue people from flooded areas and deliver food and medication. Civilian volunteers are also helping with boats and trucks. About 7000 people are filling sand bags and placing them on the river banks.

Help is also arriving from Russia, Slovenia, Hungary, Croatia, Macedonia, Israel, Czech Republic and others.

One force that has plenty of resources in the area but is NOT helping EUFOR. They officially refused to use their helicopters for rescue.

• Like 2

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

A woman and her son move away from the downwash of an European Union Force (EUFOR) helicopter after being rescued from the flooded Serici village near Zepce, at a heliport in the central Bosnian town of Zenica, May 17, 2014. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic

1297561735960_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

Give me "flying telephone pole" (SA-2)!

Info was from Bosnian MOD. I'm glad that it's wrong or has changed. EULEX is also helping. Several private helicopters, one of which from Hungary also arrived.

EDIT: info was from 15th of may

Edited by nscode

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

Harrier jet crashes in Southern California, damages homes

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/05/us-usa-california-crash-idUSKBN0EG07120140605

As of Wednesday night, eight homes were evacuated, but no injuries had been reported, the Miramar air station said in a statement. The pilot of the downed plane ejected safely and was transported to a hospital for evaluation, Lee said.

Navy jet crashes into ocean off Southern California coast

SAN DIEGO — A U.S. Navy F/A-18E Super Hornet crashed into the ocean off the Southern California coast Wednesday night while the pilot was attempting to land on the San Diego-based carrier USS Carl Vinson, Navy officials said.

The pilot, assigned to Strike Fighter Squadron 81 at Naval Air Station Oceana in Virginia Beach, Va., ejected from the single-seat plane, was rescued and is now on the carrier in stable condition, said Navy Lt. Reagan B. Lauritzen.

The crash occurred about 10 p.m. The training flight was part of a pre-deployment Joint Task Force Exercise. The plane has not been recovered, and the cause of the crash is under investigation. […]