Restoring DCS After ALT TAB

SkateZilla

I noticed this straight away with 1.2.1.5xx all the way to the recent version.

If I ALT Tab (to get the Cursor working or check something in documents.)

when bringing DCS Back up on the screens, I get a black screen for 30-60 seconds, waiting for the renderer to restore itself, after that the game comes up and it loads all the textures. During the time of the black screens, its almost a SOFTLock, If i was an impatient person I would just CTRL-ALT-DEL, TaskMgr, and End Process.

w/ 1.2.0.xxxx It was a lot quicker, ALT Tabbing and coming back was only a matter of seconds, if not immediately restored.

I havent changed anything on my System except DCS 1.2.0 to DCS 1.2.1.

if this isnt any indication of the changed renderer speed I dont know what is.

GFX Settings:

MED Preset, Text.=Med, Scene=Med, Civ Traffic=Hi, Visibility Range=Med, Water=Med, Heat Blur=On, Shadow=Med,

6048x1080, 5.6 Aspect Ratio, Monitors: Custom LUA (1 Viewport, GUI Center Screen only), Pit Displays=256px, MSAA=2x, HDR=Off.

VSYNC OFF, TREE SHADOWS OFF, FULL SCREEN ON, Cockpit Shadows OFF, TSSAA Off

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

After the testing I did alt-tab . and ctrl-alt del out it wasn't that long for me; may 10secs; to make dcs active and re-render everything? Sata3 SSD's though.

Though I agree; yes it does take longer than 1.2.0. However I don't see this as an issue with Fullscreen mode.

Other games do similar where it takes time for the re-active window to load everything again from memory.

I have a suspicion 1.2.1 has an application window issue; which accounts for the mouse cursor problem and strange fps drop in external view when in window mode. (could be wrong ! :D )

Edited by _Dredd

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz 32GB DDR3

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Samsung 55" JS8000 SUHD 4K

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Custom Akers-Barnes, MkI eyeball.

Sata3 SSD's though
Irelevent - there is no HD activity during this period.

I never recommend anyone ALT+TAB out when in 3D - there is some issue in DirectX that has existed for years that means 3D apps eventually fail when you switch out to another application. I've seen crashes on multiple different hardware configs, from different manufacturers. The problems started around DX7/DX8 and have never been resolved.

Best regards,

Tango.

Irelevent - there is no HD activity during this period.

I never recommend anyone ALT+TAB out when in 3D - there is some issue in DirectX that has existed for years that means 3D apps eventually fail when you switch out to another application. I've seen crashes on multiple different hardware configs, from different manufacturers. The problems started around DX7/DX8 and have never been resolved.

Best regards,

Tango.

May "Respectfully" beg to differ Sir.

As the graphics engine loads its work back to the screen the systems are also loaded in part that is, from the HDD EGI, ILS, MFCD and such.

The Gentleman from Mississippi rests for rebutle.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.