More flyable aircraft (part 2)

So it seems like with the release of 1.2.1 we can now employ the mod talked about in again:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89678&page=2

What got me thinking about this was the release notes stating a new model for the F/A-18C and Mig-31. So I tried it and it seems like any aircraft you put in your can hop in the cockpit (SU-25). The trick is that you can only control models that have a pretty good model. So here's what I tested using the mod above and what worked and didn't:

F-16A: Yes

F-16C: Yes

F-14A: Yes

F-15C: Yes

F-15E: Yes

F-117A: No

F-5E: No

F-4: No

F/A-18C: Yes

B52: Yes

Mirage 2000: No

MIG-31: Yes

MIG-29S: No

MIG-29G: Yes

SU-27: YES

SU-31: YES

Tornado IDS: Yes (but it flew horribly)

Some pictures:

screen121001131342.jpg

screen121001132012.jpg

screen121001133847.jpg

screen121001142118.jpg

screen121001142532.jpg

screen121001160420.jpg

screen121001201816.jpg

screen121001210747.jpg

screen121002130344.jpg

screen121002094459.jpg

• Like 1

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

I cant seem to get the f-18c to work..

That one was a bit tricky. So the folder name I called F-18C. But in the names.lua file you need to change it to F/A-18C.

I also got the tailhook and folding wings to work. But sadly can't seem to land on the carrier, the model goes right through it.

Spanky,

It requires going into the keyboard default LUA and adding the option. I'll post the specific wording when I can get to my gaming machine.

The two cool things I was able to do was: tail hook, folding wings.

I'd love to see if someone can figure out how to open the refueling probe, but not of the wording I tested have worked so far.

Spanky,

Here's the two lines I needed to add in the keyboard.lua file:

{combos = {{key = 'G', reformers = {'LAlt'}}}, down = iCokgmmandPlaneHook, name = 'Tail Hook', category = 'Systems'},
{combos = {{key = 'P', reformers = {'RCtrl'}}}, down = iCommandPlanePackWing, name = 'Folding Wings', category = 'Systems'},

Enjoy. Looking forward to seeing your F-14 btw....Would love to see an AIM-54 in actual combat action.

Which flight model are we getting when we do this, is it the same as the AI uses? I find for instance the Hornet quite difficult to control as it pitches up and down violently with just a small touch of the stick.

Which flight model are we getting when we do this, is it the same as the AI uses? I find for instance the Hornet quite difficult to control as it pitches up and down violently with just a small touch of the stick.

I noticed that the leading edge flaps are engaged on the hornet, might have something to do with it, i dont thing there is anything we can do about it since it was made with AI in mind rather than being user controlled.

Edited by kyletiernan

That one was a bit tricky. So the folder name I called F-18C. But in the names.lua file you need to change it to F/A-18C.

I also got the tailhook and folding wings to work. But sadly can't seem to land on the carrier, the model goes right through it.

erm my F-18C and my test bed F-18F Model both land and Park on the carrier using the F-18C Data.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I think the collision model is off somehow. Will work on it and report back.

i was using the F-18C LUAs from the "fast mover mod" as a base, not the method you linked to earlier.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Gotcha. Found the link for that mod and am checking out the files right now. The major difference is that it creates a mod in the mod folder for each jet. It also replaces some LODS file. Looking for an app that can open that file up so I can compare the original and the Fast Mover Mod one.

UPDATE: Looking at the video from the Fast Mover Mod thread:

The F/A-18C goes right through the carrier like it does on mine (scroll to the end of video).

Will have to do some testing with this mod and see if I can get the nice textures on the F/A-18C and a carrier landing.

Edited by roiegat

because the F-18 is Set to land on A Carrier with Catapult, not a Carrier with Ramp.

I'll Post Screens when I get home of my F-18F Model landing using the F-18C Mod as Base for the SFM.

Would be awesome to see. Thanks.

because the F-18 is Set to land on A Carrier with Catapult, not a Carrier with Ramp.

I'll Post Screens when I get home of my F-18F Model landing using the F-18C Mod as Base for the SFM.

Would be awesome to see. Thanks.

thats like a 6.5 hour wait though :). Actually a lil bit longer, as I have to re-do the LUA because I kinda goofed something last night before I called it a night, and it was keeping DCS from even booting up.

I used a F-18G Model that was used for Thirdwire's Strike Fighters 2, and converted it to work in DCS as a "test Bed" for animations, textures and stuff, I have most of the Control surfaces animated (some need adjustment), But I haven't done the gears yet. So the plane kind of "hovers" as it's using Gear data from the F-18C Data.

You can try adding a 2nd Runway data block to the FastMoverF-18C LUA for CarrierWithRamp.

But it might be the Carrier itself, as I've seen AI Landing and Taking off from the Vinson a lot during my testing, but never seen any AI Leave from the Soviet Ramp Carrier (then again Never purposely make a mission to test it either).

just in case someone is skimming through reading what i post,

I AM NOT DEVELOPING OR RELEASING ANY SUPER HORNET AIRCRAFT FOR DCS.

"UPDATE: Looking at the video from the Fast Mover Mod thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKi2i...=youtube_gdata

The F/A-18C goes right through the carrier like it does on mine (scroll to the end of video).

"

It only goes through it in some situations, varries with speed and aoa. At Proper landing speed lined up with the landing strip, it traps just fine

• 4 weeks later...