Mk84 blast radius

tflash

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would push the chances of getting hit by something up quite a long way though eh?

My thoughts: yes the heat would be a factor, the additional confinement of a building will up the damage & given what happens if some fragments hit you 2 football fields would be too close - not a lottery I'd want to win.

Cheers.

When talking bombs I think it's the kab-1500.

Cruise missiles: Kh-65/AGM 86c, as those are nuclear :p

Biggest fireworks: fab bombs

The FAB-5000: It is modeled in IL2 deployed from a Russian Petlyakov Pe-8 (TB-7) heavey bomber. I saw a picture of this weapon and it looks Pre-atomic.

When dropped in IL2, the detonation is akin to a mushroom cloud. Man talk about fright when 5 tons of bomb goes off overhead or nearby :rolleyes:

I don't know but from the posts above I'd say at 100' you're probably going to survive the blast itself (overpressure), stand about an even chance of getting away without any shrapnel hitting you, - then there's the heat from the blast.

Like I said - just theorising, but the extent to which crew go to protect themselves from the radiated heat from muzzle flash of deck guns suggests to me that unprotected skin could end up flash burnt, which would be just as debilitating as a flesh wound from a piece of casing.

Cheers.

As we can see from this table a bomb with equal explosive power as one thousand tons of TNT only produces a shockwave that causes 50% casualties at 140 meters, so why do some of you say that 30 meters for a ~0.8 ton bomb is wrong?

tab3-I.gif

Must be something wrong with the 10 kt figueres huh?

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

Just to give you an idea, the flash from a very small nuke will turn you into a shadow in an instant if you are close enough. From there outwards the injury becomes severe burns and blindness. Outside the zone of physical burns blindness is the effect upto 30 miles away in some cases.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Yep - the thermal damage range is about 3 times that of the blast radius (if you put a 0 on the end of the 10k figures (except blast) they fall back into the series OK) & if you remember back to those Tube bombings there were a number of burns victims from that...

Cheers.

Guest IguanaKing
As we can see from this table a bomb with equal explosive power as one thousand tons of TNT only produces a shockwave that causes 50% casualties at 140 meters, so why do some of you say that 30 meters for a ~0.8 ton bomb is wrong?

Because it is wrong. I won't get into it any further than that other than to say that mathematical calculations, and charts, as I said before, are based on ideal/sterile/laboratory conditions. They are to be used as a guideline, but have little to do with employment of such a weapon in real world conditions. OK, I'll put it another way...strictly speaking, fragmentation is the main kill mechanism, but, is it fragments from the bomb itself? No, it is not, it is fragments of things in the environment that are propelled by, not only the overpressure, but by the resulting shockwave from suddenly heating the air.

Must be something wrong with the 10 kt figueres huh?

The figures are fine, considering what they take into account, which is a completely sterile environment with no other objects, vehicles, human bodies, or structures to be turned into deadly projectiles themselves. Just as a small example of this: Today I was working on the flightline when suddenly some bonehead in a Cessna Citation decided he was going to have his mechanic troubleshoot an engine problem right there on the ramp. Now, I'm sure that some of you guys could show me all kinds of charts, data, and calculations that would "prove" the impossibility of that having any effect on me other than heat and wind. The fact of the matter, however, is that I now have a scratched cornea and several small scabs on my face, neck, and arms. Why? Because of other environmental conditions/items (like sand and other miscellaneous, small debris) that no chart or mathematical calculation ever seems to take into account. :D

Guest IguanaKing
Just to give you an idea, the flash from a very small nuke will turn you into a shadow in an instant if you are close enough. From there outwards the injury becomes severe burns and blindness. Outside the zone of physical burns blindness is the effect upto 30 miles away in some cases.

Yup. A nuclear blast sends TREMENDOUS amounts of IR and all bands of UV radiation for MANY miles. Often, the effects are only known by living organisms, whereas sensors for scientific studies...well...they insist everybody would survive at a certain range...according to their numbers. :icon_roll

Because it is wrong. I won't get into it any further than that other than to say that mathematical calculations, and charts, as I said before, are based on ideal/sterile/laboratory conditions. They are to be used as a guideline, but have little to do with employment of such a weapon in real world conditions. OK, I'll put it another way...strictly speaking, fragmentation is the main kill mechanism, but, is it fragments from the bomb itself? No, it is not, it is fragments of things in the environment that are propelled by, not only the overpressure, but by the resulting shockwave from suddenly heating the air.
No one is saying casualties can't occur outside this range, but the discussion was about overpressure shock wave range and that is not likely to magically become longer even in non laboratorial environments.

The figures are fine, considering what they take into account, which is a completely sterile environment with no other objects, vehicles, human bodies, or structures to be turned into deadly projectiles themselves. Just as a small example of this: Today I was working on the flightline when suddenly some bonehead in a Cessna Citation decided he was going to have his mechanic troubleshoot an engine problem right there on the ramp. Now, I'm sure that some of you guys could show me all kinds of charts, data, and calculations that would "prove" the impossibility of that having any effect on me other than heat and wind. The fact of the matter, however, is that I now have a scratched cornea and several small scabs on my face, neck, and arms. Why? Because of other environmental conditions/items (like sand and other miscellaneous, small debris) that no chart or mathematical calculation ever seems to take into account. :D
Well I thought that the figures of ionizing radiation and thermal radiation seems to be wrong as they are both much smaller than the numbers for the 1 kt bomb.

Will this get attention in 1.2 or a 1.12 patch?

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

Guest IguanaKing

[sarcasm flag on]

Why? 30m is apparently accurate for a 2000 pound bomb, but a 500lb HE warhead on a SAM...well...that can have a kill radius of over twice that. LOL. :D

[sarcasm flag on]

Why? 30m is apparently accurate for a 2000 pound bomb,

For the shockwave, but the shrapnel effect should be modeled someow too... and I thought that the explosions we have now were fps killers :(

but a 500lb HE warhead on a SAM...well...that can have a kill radius of over twice that. LOL. :D
SAM warheads are often filled with thousands of steel balls... is that what is modeled? Because the shockwave should not be effective at that range I think...

Guest IguanaKing

Heh...I was just cracking a little joke about relative damage effects. Some here have seemed to say that outside a 30m radius (with a 2000lb. bomb), a person would stand a good chance of survival, quoting all kinds of paper specs. Yet, in another thread, a warhead of 1/4 that size is said to have a kill radius of more than twice that...and nobody questions that. Curious. :D

BTW...SAM warheads also have been known to employ bundled steel rods.

30m is too small for you to always be unharmed outside this range. There should be some probabality thing where you stand a fair chance of being OK at 50m, but might catch something & be poked
In open terrain you should not be damaged (too much) by the shockwave, but you'll probably get burned to death or get hit by shrapnel. So armoured vehicles should be alright outside the shockwave but unarmored should not.

Heh...I was just cracking a little joke about relative damage effects. Some here have seemed to say that outside a 30m radius (with a 2000lb. bomb), a person would stand a good chance of survival, quoting all kinds of paper specs. Yet, in another thread, a warhead of 1/4 that size is said to have a kill radius of more than twice that...and nobody questions that. Curious. :D

BTW...SAM warheads also have been known to employ bundled steel rods.

No one said that, at least not I... you will obviously get severely burned and maybe get hit by primary or secondary shrapnel at a greater range than crushed by the shockwave.