Mk84 blast radius

tflash

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one said that, at least not I... you will obviously get severely burned and maybe get hit by primary or secondary shrapnel at a greater range than crushed by the shockwave.

At 60m a 500lb bomb will cut you to pieces;) The effects are blast and fragmentation, thats what does the damage.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Blast is the effect you're probably refering too as over pressure. (probably the same thing!). The effect of blast is the explosion itself, to be within 60m you are most definately within the blast radius. Shrapnel won't matter at such a distance as the Blast alone will most definately kill you. Shrapnel is thrown outwards from the blast which causes more damage to objects further outside the blast radius.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Blast is the effect you're probably refering too as over pressure. (probably the same thing!). The effect of blast is the explosion itself, to be within 60m you are most definately within the blast radius. Shrapnel won't matter at such a distance as the Blast alone will most definately kill you. Shrapnel is thrown outwards from the blast which causes more damage to objects further outside the blast radius.
Where do you get those figures? Because my source claims that a 1,000,000 kg bomb only gives a 50% casualties within 140 meters due to blast.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

I was thinking, Even a rock from ground zero would be enough to kill you at 30meters. It would be a deadly object.

Seriously, will this or has this been identified for improvement in upcoming versions of lock-on?

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

I think (as someone has already said) that the figures are of a sterile environment and not being applied to real world senarios.

I can think of a few senarios of explosions that I have seen here in belfast but I cannot source any material on them e.g. bomb size and pics but One senario I can think of with the relivent info is the Omagh bomb here in Ireland. It was a 300lb homemade bomb (usually fertilizer/deisel mix). I will quote from one site.

At 3:10pm on Saturday, 15 August 1998, the car bomb exploded at the centre of the crowd. The car was literally blown to pieces; fragments were later found hundreds of feet away. The entire front wall of SD Kells cloths shop was blasted into the building, and the roof collapsed into the top floor. Several of the dead were in this shop. The roofs were blown off surrounding buildings and facades were blown in. On the opposite side of the road, the blast went through the shop fronts like a knife through paper. At the Pine Emporium, a furniture shop, the blast was such that furniture could later be seen sticking out the windows at the back of the building. The owner, Elizabeth Rush, died in her shop. The powerful blast wave was so powerful that the bodies of several victims were never found. Further from the epicentre, the blast tore limbs of many people. The intense heat of the explosion caused severe burns. As well as the blast, shards of glass and metal scythed through the crowd of civilians. Even those further from the blast were hit by flying masonry or were deafened by the noise. A water main under the road was exposed by the blast, and this began pouring gallons of water over the wreckage, washing bodies down the hill. 21 people died instantly, but the bomb had not yet claimed all its victims.

Again as I said this was a 300lb home made bomb. It killed 29 people, injured 220 and devastated the center of Omagh so I would hate to see what 500lbs of high explosives would do to a target and the surrounding area.

omagh_aftermath.jpg

omagh_after.jpg

Sounds consistent wit the overpressure radii quited so far though. And I say 'sounds' only because there is mention of things 'across the street'. And remember, a 500lbs bomb is not 500lbs of explosives.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Sounds consistent wit the overpressure radii quited so far though. And I say 'sounds' only because there is mention of things 'across the street'. And remember, a 500lbs bomb is not 500lbs of explosives.
Exactly. For instance, a Mk-84 (2039 lbs) has 945 lbs or explosives.

An element we did not discuss already is the fuzing of the bomb.

We are still talking about a bomb in open space, but didn't consider when the bomb is expected to explode. If it first smashes into the ground and then explodes, a lot of the energy is absorbed by the ground and the rest is directed towards the air. This means the diameter of the overpressure blast will be more limited. If the bomb has some kind of fuse extender and detonates above ground, I guess we will have a larger blast radius.

A historic example of this was in waterloo, where the canonballs fired by Napoleon's army fell rather deep into the very muddy ground before detonating: this severely limited the explosive effect and highly reduced the lethal range.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

:eek: I would say the same thing as the guy in the video. I saw a couple of vehicles before the hit. They did not get a direct hit but, I would like to see what they look like now. If there is anything left of them.

Maybe the USAF can help me dig my next swimming pool.

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

how far away?

what amount of zoom?

what was it housed in?

Things we do not know.

I would betting man, it was not a guy standing there with a cam-recorder on his shoulder checking it out.

The camera doesn't seem to be that far away from the explosion... and it didn't get destroyed or anything.

Also note that it's a penetrating hit, not a surface-blast. if it was a surface-blast, I severely doubt that the camera would have survived, nor would the crater have been THAT large from an On-ground detonation. Even with a Mk-84.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

how far away?

what amount of zoom?

what was it housed in?

Things we do not know.

I would betting man, it was not a guy standing there with a cam-recorder on his shoulder checking it out.

Doesn't look like it's very much zoom as you can see quite a lot of ground which seems to be close infront of the camera....man *runs away*