please ED, clarify that the Autoupdater let us still use mods as previously. . .

flanker1

I am not sure about it, but when the autoupdater do its job - the use of mods especially for scenery is no longer useful?

But - how much fun is the game without all these excellent mods?

will follow "classic" updates/patch downloads at regular intervals, e.g. 1.2.2 and so on ?

i mean, i like it to update my little DCS:World when i want. . .

sure, it will help a lot of people doing it automatically. . . but not all of them. especially when somebody mod/modify the game. . .

regards

Edited by flanker1

I'm finding it a little hard to follow your questions/post.. but with a bit of a guess..

All modified files are moved when you update.. They were backed up in .backup_000 folder in the installation folder.

This threat has some interesting input from ED devs explaining their thinking and future plans.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=94835

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

I'm finding it a little hard to follow your questions/post.. but with a bit of a guess..

All modified files are moved when you update.. They were backed up in .backup_000 folder in the installation folder.

This threat has some interesting input from ED devs explaining their thinking and future plans.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=94835

Yes- but how flanker1 is able to distinguish if using his backup will brake any fix that came with the lates update? - without opening the files and searching manually for changes there is no real way to tell if a mod brakes a fix or not for the "average joe".

And this will still be a problem for the most of the mod users as long there is no clear change-log provided by ED what exactly has been changed by the update and why.

And just asking to keep the files untouched (as C0ff is suggesting ) is also no real solution - as this require "expert knowledge" from the user ....

Yes- but how flanker1 is able to distinguish if using his backup will brake any fix that came with the lates update? - without opening the files and searching manually for changes there is no real way to tell if a mod brakes a fix or not for the "average joe".

And this will still be a problem for the most of the mod users as long there is no clear change-log provided by ED what exactly has been changed by the update and why.

And just asking to keep the files untouched (as C0ff is suggesting ) is also no real solution - as this require "expert knowledge" from the user ....

I agree.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

Oddly enough, after every update, my controls and missions remain unchanged.

Maybe that's why I have seen no improvement? Not too sure. Or is this normal?

Controls & missions are stored in the save games folder and remain unaltered.

Its any core game files in the games root directory that are affected.

Well, generally, these little auto-updates aren't changing much- these auto-updates seem to be bug fixes so far, not content additions. It's very unlikely for a bug fix to break a mod, and even content additions don't normally break mods.

It's the major release versions that you need to worry about more with regards to mods. And even major patch releases don't usually cause problems (though, that's highly dependent on the mod).

So you're kinda worrying about a problem that doesn't exist. Just restore all your mods after an auto-update- there's a 99% chance you'll be just fine and dandy. And it only takes like 5 seconds to restore your mods.

But yes, a change log would definitely be useful, for many reasons, including the ones you outlined. And some mods, such as radio mods, modify areas of the game that are in constant flux, so we need to know when those areas get modified.

Edited by Speed

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

And it only takes like 5 seconds to restore your mods.

That might be close to being true if the backup folder kept the folder structure of the altered files. As it is they get dumped into one generic folder.

Keeping the folder structure would save us a hell of a lot of time.

Do you have a methodology for restoring that i am missing?

Edited by MadTommy
typo

Why not make your own folder structure with the mods you have installed? Then it's just a matter of a single folder copy/paste and overwrite every time. A couple of seconds and you're good to go.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

1) Use a mod manager such as JSGME

2) Turn off game auto-updating i.e. only update manually

3) Mods off before updating

4) Update game

5) Check updated game for file changes, edit / update mods as needed

6) Reinstall updated mods

And Robert's your dad's brother ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Why not make your own folder structure with the mods you have installed? Then it's just a matter of a single folder copy/paste and overwrite every time. A couple of seconds and you're good to go.

Presently doing this...

But i ran into a really odd problem that i cant understand or explain.

I did this for my multimonitor & viewport export files.. but when i copied them over in bulk it caused a corruption that left me without a cockpit, as seen attached. But when i copied them over individually everything was ok. It makes no sense, i know, i was tearing my hair out trying to figure the problem. Even running 'repair' did not resolve the issue, i had to reinstall from scratch.

Screen_121004_115911-large.thumb.jpg.df60174f4fe24cd67edbc72df51d6f0c.jpg

Keeping the folder structure would save us a hell of a lot of time.?

:thumbup:

As of today.. this is how it woks.. never had a wish so quickly granted!

Thanks ED!

After an Autoupdate, just copy the files from the _backup.00* folder (inside the World folder) back to the main World folder and you have all your mods back.

This is how it works for me with my mods (NVG, new UFC Panel,...)

Edited by -Hammer-

Windows 10 | i7-8700K@5GHz | 2080 Ti | Intel Z370 Chipset | 32GB RAM@1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w. FSSB R3 Mod | Saitek Switch Panel + Radio Panel + Multi Panel + FIP + Flightpanels Software | MFG_Crosswind | TrackIR5 | TM Cougar MFD Pack | Obutto R3volution | 1 x LG38 | GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

:thumbup:

As of today.. this is how it woks.. never had a wish so quickly granted!

Thanks ED!

Well, as far as I knew, it always did preserve the folder structure- but might there have been a bug? Maybe.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Also remember that if you are using edits in the config files, changing your Max FPS in the graphics config for example, you will need to go back in manually and check and re edit that stiuff too if need be.

Kind of a PITA for me as I have head position edits, view min-max edits etc and every graphics or view lua push resets it all.. Hoping that the push frenzy slows down a bit so I don't have to do that everytime I play. Unless someone has an elegant solution ..

Well, generally, these little auto-updates aren't changing much- these auto-updates seem to be bug fixes so far, not content additions. It's very unlikely for a bug fix to break a mod, and even content additions don't normally break mods.

It's the major release versions that you need to worry about more with regards to mods. And even major patch releases don't usually cause problems (though, that's highly dependent on the mod).

So you're kinda worrying about a problem that doesn't exist. Just restore all your mods after an auto-update- there's a 99% chance you'll be just fine and dandy. And it only takes like 5 seconds to restore your mods.

But yes, a change log would definitely be useful, for many reasons, including the ones you outlined. And some mods, such as radio mods, modify areas of the game that are in constant flux, so we need to know when those areas get modified.

Speed,

One update ago all of my init export files were rewritten to the originals and I had to copy over all the init displays again. It took me less than three minutes to copy everything over, since I am very versed in this, but others may have a hard time.

1.2.1 Mods

Please can we get a CLEAR and SIMPLE tutorial with example of how/where to install mods with DCS World 1.2.1

I have place several mods in my savegame and nothing happen.

If someone who know how to install it please write it here to avoid to people 4 page of reading from other post (who don't really and clearly told how to install mods anyways)...

Thanks !

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

Dude...there are some threads around already, covering this...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=95017

go through this one and all questions are answered

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

After an Autoupdate, just copy the files from the _backup.00* folder (inside the World folder) back to the main World folder and you have all your mods back.

This is how it works for me with my mods (NVG, new UFC Panel,...)

Unfortunately things are not quite so simple.

The latest update moved the WaterEffects.zip file to my _backup folder. This is not a file that I modified.

\DCS World\_backup.000\Bazar\Effects\WaterEffects.zip

This means you cannot simply copy the folder back across with confidence. For people who use other peoples mods this could cause issues as they may not know what files make up the mods they install.

This might be a one off... but i certainly won't be copying the contents of the backup folder without having to thoroughly check each time.

EDIT: after bug reporting and getting response from c0ff this file was altered from the original.. how i'm not sure, certainly not intentionally. So copying the backup folder should work.. (but i'm still gonna be checking closely!)

Edited by MadTommy

I'm starting to hate the autoupdater...

First with 1.2.1 I've had problems with the mousepointer. When moving the mouse, the game would show the standard Windows cursor for fractions of a second, when holding still it was as usual. No biggie

Then I autoupdated yesterday.

The cursor was fine now when moving, but everytime I switched from a different view (F10 map, external view etc.) back to the cockpit, the cursor disappeared until I moved it over a switch or something that would make the cursor change.

On the bright side however, the server's mission wouldn't override my snapview settings anymore (yay!!), which was annoying me in DCSW from day 1.

And with today's autoupdate, that is already gone again... :chair:

BTW, the (new) cursor issue is still there of course

Edited by St3v3f

aka: Baron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Seems like we need something like Modman, that would allow us to install the mods and keep a database of installed mods. Then, after an update it would be a simple matter of clicking a button to re-install all the mods, rather than copying everything from the backup folder which as MadTommy's experience suggests might not be a good idea. It might even be possible for this program to check a database and flag up any mods that have been identified as incompatible with the current version of DCSW/BS2 (obviously such a database would have to be kept updated by either the mod creator or users).

Perhaps such a program could also manage any config changes we make (i.e maxfps=30) and find those lines and edit them for us, rather than just overwriting the .cfg files with our modded ones, which may cause problems if new lines have been added in the latest update.

Then we might be able to spend some time flying instead of tweaking all the time ;)

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Dude...there are some threads around already, covering this...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=95017

go through this one and all questions are answered

If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

I'm starting to hate the autoupdater...

Interesting. So you'd rather deal with those problems for a few months until the next major patch and have to re-do all your control settings instead of wait a few days?

Makes sense....:ermm:

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --