What year dos lockon take place

sixer

what i mean is what year dos this stuff take place. i think cold war or maybe early 90s at the latest right, i have not been able to find it in the operation manual. i would like to know so i know if the next game will up date the game or not. or like if we get the f-16 whitch one will we get. i did see some new stuff like the thing that flys bye its self for recon. but was not put in the game. thanks

sixersig4iv.jpg

do not run fly!

Lomac does not have a timeframe, or a year, or a decade.

It is a mixture of some aircraft which were in service late Cold War, some which were phased out just before that, and some which are just coming into service now. Come to that, some aircraft which really should have been there all along still aren't there.

The important bit is that where similar aircraft are pitted against each other, those aircraft are of the same time, and their spec is modelled accurately.

One of the next games (three-four years or thereabouts) will probably model an F16 and an advanced MiG29. The info is out there for most F16s, but I think it's a block 50/52 that ED have the information on. The MiG29 is likely to be a MiG29M or MiG29SMT.

It's not really set in any year. It's just a collection of equipment that are against each other fighting over a digitial battlefield. Take a look of some of the things that are in it. The AGM-154 and Mica only entered service in 1999 IRL. The Su-34 is still in testing in Russia IRL. The A-10 in the game has no NVGs. And then in V1.2 there will be the Ka-50 which is not in service yet. And the Predator recon UAV will be in it also.

The F-16 that is planned is the F-16C Block 50D otherwise known as the F-16CJ. The ones in lockon right now are Block 40s.

Guest IguanaKing

Aside from weapons and capabilities, many of the US aircraft suggest that the time period is the early 90's at the latest. For example, CR tail code F-15s haven't actually existed for a while. Instead of F-15s at Soesterberg AB, aircraft with that tail code are C-130Es and Hs with the 302nd AW at Peterson AFB, Colorado...have been for a while. Also, the EL tail code on the 23rd TFW A-10s from England AFB, Louisiana, has been on the tail of B-1Bs of the 28th BW at Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota for many years now...not on A-10s. ;)

what i mean is what year dos this stuff take place. i think cold war or maybe early 90s at the latest right, i have not been able to find it in the operation manual. i would like to know so i know if the next game will up date the game or not. or like if we get the f-16 whitch one will we get. i did see some new stuff like the thing that flys bye its self for recon. but was not put in the game. thanks

Good lord that's painful to read.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

what i mean is what year dos this stuff take place. i think cold war or maybe early 90s at the latest right..

No specific timeframe, but it is definately early 90ies at the earliest ;) .

Nevermind the aircraft - you have country entries such as "Ukraine" and "Georgia", which didnt exist as independant entities until after the break-up of the Soviet Union in 1991.

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Guest IguanaKing

With Cold War force structure, I think it just adds a cool wrinkle to the whole thing. I, for one, like to fly campaigns that present a scenario in which a Soviet Republic is trying to secede and NATO forces are sent to their aid. Granted, some of the weapons systems in LOMAC didn't exist in field deployment back then...but its my only way of reconciling the chronological errors. Its all good. :D

It was a NIGHTMARE...:icon_roll

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Dunno the deatils of the game exactly, I wasnt even born yet...2-1 I believe.... good thing I have the 2000 and 2004 games on tape muhahahaha!:icon_madu

Good luck for 2006 ;) (I hope I dont have to eat my hat this time!):icon_roll

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

• ED Team

As has been stated in the official FAQ for the past 1.5 years:

Where does the Lock On conflict take place and when?

Lock On will take place in the Black Sea region and depicts a hypothetical conflict. Detailed modeling of the Crimea and Western Caucuses will be included. These regions encompass large agricultural areas, foothills, and towering mountains. The gameplay area will provide the player with a wide variety of terrain types.

Lock On does not take place in a specific time, but uses a variety of weapon systems that have been in service from mid-1990s to the near future. The Lock On order of battles are not meant to mimic real-world forces

Return to Top

Guest IguanaKing

It would be better to say that LOMAC models a "what-if" scenario. For example...WHAT IF the cold war never ended...WHAT IF the US didn't completely reorganize its force structure. :D That's the way I look at it...and its all good. :beer:

Lol - the question continues ;)

I thought it was 2007...J/K

At least one of the ground units is listed as "unknown" in most of the categories. From what I gather however its an incomplete list of A/C, Ships and Ground units spanning from the '60's to 1999. I suspect this was largely do to the available data at the time the game was modeled which I believe was near the turn of the century. I heard rumors it was in development for over 5 years prior to its release in 2003 (which is considerably fast if you really delve into all the detail ED has put into it).

So, If I were to guess (and thats all I can do here) I would say that the Sim attempts to approximate the A/C that was still in service in 2003. The world is dynamic, and trying to keep up with it is nearly impossible - but the name is 'Modern' Air Combat and I think ED has done a reasonably good job at bridging the gap between "Reality Data" available and public perception of what these A/C can really do.

When all else fails, Eject then read the manual.

Oh, and a good wingman helps.