Tactical ballistic rocket launchers

I've just checked my favourite Operation Flaspoint site and i found this:

sfm_luna_2.jpg

A tactical ballistic rocket launcher.

Then i start wondering why dont we have such weapon systems in Lock-On? It can fitted with non-nuclear warheads so thats not a reason why.

I know it is a bit inaccurate but it can be used aganist citys and other large targets.

Image a mission when you have to stop a couple of these before they launch there rockets, or defend the SAM site witch can shot down the rockets ,or the terrorist have a launcher and you got to find it, and many more.

Please devs!

"Fighters make movies, bombers make history."

whell the scuds cant hit eney thing it has a 25 mil pin point you could target a bilding and miss the city :) you would have to put it right on the border of the country so you will not hit something on your side.

sixersig4iv.jpg

do not run fly!

Russia no longer uses Scuds nowadays and its successor, the SS-21, is lethally accurate. There is a second, much longer range (600km vs. 120km) missile called SS-23 but it was banned by the INF treaty and its shorter ranged (400+km, complying with the 500km restriction of the treaty) replacement only entered service recently. I agree that it would be cool to have such weapons, the US should field ATACMS Block1 as a counterpart. Oh, and give the Russians the S-300V back, for intercepting those pesky missiles ;)

whell the scuds cant hit eney thing it has a 25 mil pin point you could target a bilding and miss the city :) you would have to put it right on the border of the country so you will not hit something on your side.

Well ,SCUDs hit Tel Aviv in the first gulf war...

And Trident, yeah the SS-21 was a great choice for this game.

SS-21(1).JPG

"Fighters make movies, bombers make history."

Guest IguanaKing

Just for the sake of terminology, a rocket is generally a term which refers to an unguided weapon. Guided weapons are more commonly referred to as missiles. I know...there I go, nit-picking. :D

Just for the sake of terminology, a rocket is generally a term which refers to an unguided weapon. Guided weapons are more commonly referred to as missiles. I know...there I go, nit-picking. :D

I think that saying it's a "rocket" is always right when talking about the propulsion system of such weapon (almost every missile has a rocket to power it at some point).

Such missiles are formidable weapons, however, when precision is paramount (when using a conventional warhead) they're quite useless and expensive. So if we ever get nukes in lomac, then we'll also need such systems, until then (read: never), just use the mrls and smerch to emulate them.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

It isn't quite real, but if they were made accurate enough to hit a targeted building and have a range in the 400 - 500km range they would make a good target for search & destroy missions where the survival of the targeted building was a mission goal. they drive around and at some time stop, set up & launch. If you've taken them all out you succeed. If they get a launch you'll have failed... No need for anything fancy about the flight path & a warhead big enough to take out the hardest target in LO with one hit. Perhaps just slow enough to be slightly vulnerable to the better SAM systems so a single launcher might not be enough.

P.S. Then we could have our own May Day parades

Cheers.

Guest IguanaKing
I think that saying it's a "rocket" is always right when talking about the propulsion system of such weapon (almost every missile has a rocket to power it at some point).

I guess that's true, it depends on the country as to how they express certain ideas as well. What I was saying is that, in NATO terms, the word "rocket", in the realm of weaponry, refers to an unguided, rocket-propelled

weapon. Granted, its not the dictionary definition of the term, but it IS the common-usage definition. ;)

On another note: I'm watching a little CNN at the moment...is Christi Paul gorgeous, or what? :icon_syda