Fluctuating laptop performance

I've got a HP Pavilion dv6 from 2010 with the following specs:

i5 540M 2.4 GHz

6 GM RAM

ATI HD 5650 1 GB

It demolished FC2 and was at least fairly good with other games, but DCS World brings it to a crawl, at times. That's the strange part.

Usually, I get 10 FPS looking up at the sky, 5 looking down, and maybe 2 on the ground (original DCSW I think was 15 up, 10 down, 5 ground). But every once in a while, I'll turn on World and get nearly flawless 25-30 FPS. This is accompanied by a major heat increase.

The problem is, I can't get the computer to run on "high" when I want it to. The performance just jumps randomly. It has never changed mid game. It will only go into high when starting DCS World, and it usually shifts back down to low if I quit a mission and start a new one (not very common) or if I quit DCSW and launch it again (always drops performance).

I want to know what causes this, or how I can find out. The CPU does have turbo that allows 2.66 GHz (vs 2.4), but that isn't a huge improvement. That makes me wonder about the graphics card, but I've not been able to find any sort of overclocking or other performance boosting functionality on the card.

I've also tried to see if it was temperature related by basically blasting my laptop with air conditioning (definitely cools the laptop as the fan shuts off completely) but this does not cause performance to rise.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing this?

PS, if your answer is to get a new computer that's already been decided, but I want to keep this laptop and maybe use DCSW on it if I can get it to play correctly.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Does HP have their own power management utility? The utility that comes with Asus laptops used to be really 'flakey'. Check for a new version possibly.

EDIT: ...or remove the utility and use the one in Windows.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yes, I think it might have one of those. I'll see if it needs an update.

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

2010 Sony VPCEA16FA

Here are my settings. We almost share the same machine. mine is i5-520M processor @ 2.4 ~ 2.9 Boost.

I got RoF (unactivated), FC2, DCSW 1.2.0, A-10C 1.1.1.1 and Medal of Honor.

World loads in about 15 seconds. Mission loads clean in a minute. If you turn off tasks in the manager, and the Antivirus, close mission and reload, it will be 25 seconds.

I will be getting a PC soon..

I run compressed air through vents every 2 weeks, defrag every 3 weeks, and clean up windows partition to have at least 40 Gigs free.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Thanks, I will try to optimize my machine as you've recommended.

What is your average FPS? The 10 FPS I mentioned above is everything low except Textures (High) with nothing but me in the mission.

Thanks, I will try to optimize my machine as you've recommended.

What is your average FPS? The 10 FPS I mentioned above is everything low except Textures (High) with nothing but me in the mission.

using FPS from fraps, I get 12 frames. If fraps is off, you get like 20-25 frames maybe more. if you watch my A-10C vids, you'll note I always switch MFCDs to CDU or a static page to reduce video memory on gun runs..

anything in mind regarding the PC? I'm thinking 2600K, but I want a monster. I have the money, I got good gear, so I want to spoil myself for DCS World max performance. I popped threads before for queries but too lazy to look them up for responses..

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I pretty much have my next computer planned out, it's just that because of work I'm stuck in a hotel for 2 months.

i7 3770

16 GB RAM

256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD

GTX 660 Ti

I pretty much want to run DCS maxed out all the time.

I pretty much have my next computer planned out, it's just that because of work I'm stuck in a hotel for 2 months.

i7 3770

16 GB RAM

256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD

GTX 660 Ti

I pretty much want to run DCS maxed out all the time.

so these will run DCS maxed out?

I'm hoping. I've seen videos on Youtube of computers with similar and sometimes lower specs that have run DCS modules on max, but I've not see anything for recent patches of World.

At the very least, I won't be stuck on low with zero buildings.

it is very frustrating.. I feel you. Just be sure to post pics of yer new system, as well as your pit (if any). Cheers