Film makers - suggestion for a newbie

SimFreak

Any suggestion for a newbies would be great.

What software and settings to record. (Fraps seems to be a popular choice...but it seems to produce tearing/lag)

What software/codes to encode huge file size to something more manageable?

What edit software to use?

What final codecs / settings set for file for easier upload?

Hey Sim Freak,

I am no expert, but have made a few good videos, my suggestions below:

Software to record: DxTory (downside is large files)

Use Sony Vegas to render the large files to a managable size.

Youtube in my expierence likes WMV files (10mbs is good, 16-18mbs for extra quality)

Hope that helps

I use Sony Vegas, and fraps to record. Fraps can't directly produce tearing, just turn on v-sync to stop it. Recording to a different drive than the game is running on is a tip (if you use an ssd it won't really matter).

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

If you want no lag and high quality, at the expense of leaving PC overnight, and missing a day (at most) of action, your friend is the RAT tool. Its in the editor. I personally use it to record all my channel vids, then convert the Ogg Vorbis file to Avi with the paid for and reliable Ogg video converter.

It cost me 30 bucks, but I've converted Ogg from DCS A-10C, BS1.0, BS2.0, FC2, and P-51D (check my channel).

For an editor, I use Serif MoviePlus X5. With it I can produce a 4 split screen effect (as in my latest video)

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

FRAPS and a SSD disk to record to. That gives you lag free recordings in the native resolution, typical 1920x1080. The market is flowing over of video editors that mostly does the same job.

(HJ)

I just wish Fraps could scale to something other than half.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

record in full scale! Works fine, almost no frame loss if you use SSD disk.

The issue is that my main monitor is 2560x1440. Recorded full res makes for monsterous files and then I still have to reduce them later. Switching windows to use a different main monitor is PITA anytime I want to record something.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Well, it's basically a digital high-loss real time(?) recorder.

Just read comments with your link, you'll understand.

Plus force to converts to inefficient H264. Not editable format (if you do that, you just show your noobness to pros)

so basically, not a good choice if you plan to edit your movie.

Limited to poor 1920x1080

Et Cetera...

Best option would be a dedicated dvi or sdi device, but... maybe cost 2000$+ :D

Well i think on windows FRAPS is the standard, even if i never tried it (yet)

for raw editing, personnally i would use FinalCutPro or Avid MC. but ya know, i'm working in this, so... Vegas/Pinacle/MovieMaker/iMovie/Premiere are forbidden here :D and that's a good thing !

the only thing i fear, would be FRAPS forcing me to create uncompressed files only in .wmv

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

• 3 weeks later...

So I actually bought that little recorder box. Here's my test recording it at 1080p. It seems quality is pretty good. For 6 minutes of recording, it produced about 500mb file.

http://youtu.be/eEzwiju--u8

No lag due to recoding and setup is simple. I have two HDMI outputs from video card; one to monitor and one to recorder box (duplicate display as windows option). Then a USB cable to laptop where recoding output is made.

Now to learn how to edit videos....