Static object fps impact?

MadTommy

I'm considering developing a 'template' mission that will include a lot of static objects to populate the map better.

Does anyone have experience about how statics impact fps.

I assume if the static object is not within viewable distance of the player there will be no impact. Is this assumption correct?

Or is it governed by the 'pre load radius' as set in Options?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

Statics have the benefit of not having AI and are void properties AI ground units typically have. I suspect 200 static objects of T-72s wont have the same impact as 200 T-72s spread out across multiple groups.

The only downside is that some static objects have secondary explosions until the end of time when the object is destroyed.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Yeah i've always assumed the lack of AI greatly reduces the load on CPU, but probably not GFX.

Over the years I've seen reports of mission instability due to large number of units... but I'm hoping statics don't cause this...What do you think?

The only downside is that some static objects have secondary explosions until the end of time when the object is destroyed.

Errr end of time? I'm aware of ammo dumps giving of pyrotechnics for some time after. Do they actually keep blowing up until the mission ends? And what other statics do this?

My template idea would be mostly vehicle, plane, heli & infantry units to populate airbases and other locations. I was not planning on building new towns, but control posts, road blocks etc would be good. ;)

I did a very brief test.. 100 hummers is one location knocked off <10 fps on my system. Looking away gain the fps back. I need to test at what distance they influence fps when facing them.

I wish you could group statics and make templates from them.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4