APU sound level seems too loud..

gear_monkey

Anyone else think the apu volume is too high?

I've never been around an actual A-10 while it's apu was running but I have flown many aircraft with apu's.

Seems strange the apu's volume would be greater than the engines.

Win 10 64bit; 32 GB DDR4 3200 Ram; ASUS MoBo; 1TB SSD;Intel i7 8700K; GTX 1080ti 11GB; Thrustmaster Warthog;Odyssey + VR

I've never been around a real A-10 while it was starting up. However, something to consider: the APU is in the fuselage, a few feet behind your seat, while the engines are on the external nacelles, farther from you and with much less solid mass between them and you. The engine sound has to travel through more gas and less solid, while the APU sound can travel through more solid and less gas. Since sound waves travel more effectively through solid than through gas, I find it logical that the APU could be louder to the pilot than the engine sounds are.

APUs in general are loud mofos. I think its something about the pitch that just makes them seem so loud and painful.

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, GTX 1080ti, Oculus Rift S

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.

IIRC, on the A-10, the APU is louder than the engines from some angles. My memory is kinda hazy on that subject; I was at Pope AFB, NC when the 74th was there, but I worked on the C-130, so my experiences with them were casual.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Snoopy has said before that the A-10 APU is indeed louder than the engines.

this is exactly what I was looking for...

obviously the volume of the apu was set at it's current level for a reason, I was just curious.

and yes, to the other posters, I have years of being around apu's and I am very familiar with how loud they are. In the aircraft I fly, however, they are drowned out by the noise created by the aircraft engines once running.

Thanks all.

Win 10 64bit; 32 GB DDR4 3200 Ram; ASUS MoBo; 1TB SSD;Intel i7 8700K; GTX 1080ti 11GB; Thrustmaster Warthog;Odyssey + VR

Like Joyride said the APU is very loud. Even with double hearing protection I'm glad when the pilot shuts the APU down.

The only issue I have with the sound is how it sounds when you're in the pit, it's good externally but is different in the pit...hopefully that'll be updated eventually too.