FINALLY beat the AI in Dogfight

droz

• ED Team
The 1 on 1 instant action. I finally beat him. It was tough. I just wanted to share.

Well done. That is life. It is tough in real life, if it was not every P51D in WW2 would have become an ace.

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

I have a mission that I thought was a no-brainer win. I have my plane about 50 yards behind a "Good" AI. However, if I don't manage to take him out in the first 10 seconds, he'll pull some fancy maneuvers, immelman, barrel roll, dive, then it's usually all over for me, either he winds up with a snap shot or I'll blackout and over- G my AC, and rip off my wings, Lol. I guess I need a lot more practice.

I've done it a few times now.

The trick is don't fight the horizontal fight. Turn it into a combination between the vertical and diagonal fight. Eventually you will get yourself positioned. The AI is very good, but beatable.

Windows 7 64bit

AMD FX 8350 4.0GHZ

16BG Ram

EVGA Geforce 760 GTX 2GB

Yeah, the A.I. has superb gunnery and flawless energy management, but he doesn't really understand scissors and he doesn't ever use flaps. He also loses a bit of confidence at very low altitudes.

What I did to finally gain my first victory against him (it took me eleven losses before I was finally able to win) was to use four notches of flaps during slow-speed scissors to get behind him for a brief snapshot. Then, after he'd turn the tables again, I'd unload, make a wide-and-fast turn at wavetop level, and pull into him just as he was about to shoot. I'd then reverse back into him after he aborted his pass, and we'd go back to the scissor fight.

Later, I started practicing without using flaps, since he doesn't use them; if you're relying on your ability to use flaps and his inability to use them, you're gonna be in for a surprise when you fight a human player. With a decent human player, he'll drop flaps, too, when he sees that you're out-stalling/out-scissoring him with your flaps down, and you'll lose your advantage.

To clarify, I don't mean that using flaps in a dogfight is a mistake; sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. But it's an "unfair" advantage over the A.I., because he is forbidden to use them during combat, and you don't want to get used to having an advantage that you'll end up not having if you fight a human player.